Removing Bleed Through

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rickwaugh
Expert

Removing Bleed Through

Post by rickwaugh » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:07 am

I have moved from writing/recording instrumental guitar, to writing and recording songs. If I want to record live, with both vocal and acoustic guitar at the same time, I of course get bleed through. I have cardiod mics, and I need to figure out their fields a bit better, but right now, I’m getting as much guitar as vocal on the vocal mic, and the same on the guitar mic.

Someone suggested that there are plugins on the desktop, an example being Izotope RX, that will filter out bleed through. Has anyone found anything like that on iOS, or something useful in the currently available plugins in Auria?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Corey W
Expert

Re: Removing Bleed Through

Post by Corey W » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:41 pm

RX and other audio plugins of the sort are helpful but shouldn't really be used to remove bleed in a simple recording situation like you are doing. You should instead work on learning and experimenting with some microphone technique and then from there how to process and balance the recorded tracks in Auria Pro.
I would suggest starting by going to YouTube and watching some microphone technique videos covering what you are recording.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:36 pm

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to totally solve that problem either. Searching YouTube is a great idea, though. The few times I tried to record the acoustic and vocals simultaneously didn’t work out nearly as well as tracking separately. Please let us know if you figure something out you can live with.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:49 am

I think at this point in time, I’m going to give. Getting a great pickup and pickup sound would be helpful, I could then at least have a single guitar sound. But for what I’m doing, I’ll probably just do the tracks seperately.

joe12stories
Expert

Post by joe12stories » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:43 am

At the risk of asking the obvious, are you using figure-8 patterns on both your vocal and guitar mics? This made the biggest difference for me in terms of bleedthrough. Yes tracking separately is better for mixing but not for performance (for me at least). No matter how much I try, it just doesn’t sound as natural when I track separately.