iPad Pro2021 M1 8 or 16GB

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

BrendonP

iPad Pro2021 M1 8 or 16GB

Post by BrendonP » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:13 pm

Hi. I am upgrading my old Air2 for the ney ipad pro.
Should i pay for the 16GB 1Tb version. What would be the advantage of the extra memory in relation to Auria.
Thanks Brendon

Gary
Expert

Re: iPad Pro2021 M1 8 or 16GB

Post by Gary » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:14 pm

I have been trying to research the new iPad release with the M1 chip. In recent days I read some articles on the amount of ram required for “content creation” with 8G being sufficient, (but it did not specifically say for music production). It did suggest though basically that 16 G would be over kill for most intensive programs, so who knows really if thats true.

Another few articles said there were problems being reported with SSD failures (in MACs) running the new M1 due to data swapping excessiveness. Maybe that wouldn’t be a problem though for the new iPad. I’d sure like to get one, but I think I’ll wait for a while just to be safe. Also the new pad now uses thunderbolt instead of USB C. I’m also using an old iPad Air 2 and its probably not going to see anymore updates after 14.6
Last edited by Gary on Mon May 31, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glen Allan

Post by Glen Allan » Wed May 19, 2021 8:37 pm

The real advantage will be have very few limitations to how many plugins you can load and use on tons of tracks. You could have a bunch of FabFilter effects going and not hit a wall for quite a lot of tracks and effects. If you really want to push it for say live sound 24 track recording and playback on even more, it's really just a matter of how many more.

Also, having 16GB would allow for more simultaneous use of other apps which also have effects being used. For my live show work i'm usually running AUM to route sound separately of Auria and this iPad M1 update will just make it like not having to really think about hitting CPU or track limits or plugin limits. It will be a killer setup.

The real question is will Auria ever actually be updated? When was the last update? 2017 or 2018? Sooo much has changed in iPads and now with iPad OS, and Auria just isn't keeping up. Even with the newest update to Cubasis 3 i'd still prefer Auria for many things, but it's feeling really clunky at this point.

I'm really hoping we see something soon. Venues are starting to open again and shows will be coming up and i'd like to be rocking a bad ass new version of Auria for it.
The concepts of both 'Good' and 'Evil' are merely subjective associations in relation to a conditioned reaction to pain and pleasure.

sharmanschik

Post by sharmanschik » Sun May 30, 2021 12:04 pm

For understanding. In the iPad Pro model of 2020, and possibly 2018, 6GB of RAM was found, in versions with a storage volume of 1TB. The rest of the versions only had 4GB of RAM. As a result, it turned out that this was due to the amount of storage 1TB, and not some other reasons - just to work with such a volume, you need to have so much memory. Perhaps this situation is repeated now, because only versions with 1 and 2TB have 16GB of RAM. the rest have 8GB. And the news on the link speaks in favor of this assumption.

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/28/ip ... -ipad-pro/