Using the Korg NanoKontrol Studio with Auria Pro

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Trash
Expert

Using the Korg NanoKontrol Studio with Auria Pro

Post by Trash » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:22 pm

Posting this in case it is useful for anyone else - (I think some of this information may be have been posted in various threads already this puts it all in one place and is based on my own findings as someone who is not very experienced with this stuff :? )

Finally after much investigation I decided to give the Korg NanoKontrol Studio (NKS) a try. I decided on this as it is relatively inexpensive compared to other potential solutions. I didnt want to spend a lot of money especially knowing that it might not work very well.

Initially I tried connecting it via a powered USB hub together with my iRig Pro Duo. However nothing worked so instead I decided to give Bluetooth a try although I wasn't expecting much.

Set the NKS into ProTools Mode
- Turn the NKS on while holding the Scene and Rewind buttons down

Connect via Bluetooth
- I tried to pair via the Bluetooth in the iPad settings app but in fact you have to do it in the Bluetooth MIDI settings within Auria
- Menu > Settings > MIDI > Bluetooth MIDI

- Connect to the NKS
- Select Receive Remote and Send Remote
- Select Mackie HUI

With those setting enabled you should have access to the following:

- Transport controls: Play, Record, Rewind. Forward, Go to start. The Jog dial doesn't really work unfortunately.

- The marker arrows move between any set Markers (although you cannot set them)

- For tracks: Faders, Pan, Solo, Mute and Rec arm (I'm not sure what Select should do but it doesn't seem to do anything)

All in all it's pretty good and not too expensive as a way of adding some hardware control for those, like me, that prefer a bit of tactile feel.

The only things missing for me based on what is available on the NKS:

- The ability to set Markers
- The ability to use the Jog wheel to scrub the audio

Hope others find this useful.

Cheers