how to disable sustain on one midi track?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

endso_66

how to disable sustain on one midi track?

Post by endso_66 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:30 pm

hi, i'm playing 2 virtual instruments on 2 separate midi tracks. both tracks are affected by the sustain pedal of the keyboard. in one track this is ok since it is the piano track but the second is a long-lasting synthpad sound where sustain is excessive. is there a way to disable the sustain pedal in the second track only? thanks a lot, enzo

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: how to disable sustain on one midi track?

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:58 pm

Double tap the midi region and you will enter the midi editor. Tap Notes and a drop down midi event messages list. Choose Sustain CC#64 and you will see your sustain events. You can edit or delete the sustain events. Good luck.

endso_66

Post by endso_66 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:31 pm

thanks Antony. actually i was wondering how to disable sustain events while playing on the keyboard 2 different instruments simultaneously on 2 different midi tracks (not post editing). virtual instruments are both from Korg module
thanks again, enzo

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:42 am

In that case you need to use a midi cc filter either on your midi controller or software. As far as I know Auria does not have real-time midi cc filters just the ability to edit midi cc events. I take it that you are playing a layer of piano and strings at the same time just transmitting on different midi channels. If you filter out cc#64 on the strings you may find the performance of the strings rather staccato and may not sound very musical. MidiFlow is an app I use to filter out midi cc events but it is a paid feature in MidiFlow. There are other apps on the App Store that do this as well. My suggestion is to go into Korg module and see if there is an ADSR for the strings. If so adjust the decay or sustain to make the strings fade out faster so that when you pedal the sustain the strings notes won’t over lap each other. You can also play the piano first then play the strings to the piano part that way your in control of how the strings respond to the piano part. As well since the string part is the same notes as the piano part you can just record the piano without the string so that the string overlapping sustain doesn’t throw your performance off and then simply copy the piano midi notes to another empty midi track then edit the sustain midi cc#64 events of the strings to suit the performance. Good luck.

endso_66

Post by endso_66 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:52 pm

thanks again, Anthony for your support and advices. actually i think i'm trasmitting both instruments in omni mode (i did not try to send them on different midi channels). and yes, the idea is to layer more than 2 sounds since Kmodule just allows 2 instruments.
good luck, enzo

endso_66

Post by endso_66 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:54 pm

but of course it would be nice to have a button to filter damper in a future auria release...

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:57 am

endso_66 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:31 pm
thanks Antony. actually i was wondering how to disable sustain events while playing on the keyboard 2 different instruments simultaneously on 2 different midi tracks (not post editing). virtual instruments are both from Korg module
thanks again, enzo
Streambyter is a free midi script/processing up that can do it.