external control of Auria?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

will
Expert

external control of Auria?

Post by will » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:38 am

Hello all, I am extremely interested in Auria...and have a question:
I would like to be able to control it via a midi message - mainly ( I would settle for only!) play / record. I was hoping to use a foot pedal controller as I am a double bassist and need 2 hands for the instrument.
I am not sure if this is covered in another post.....I have VERY slow internet on a tethered dongle here, and am lucky to have even registered here :)

Thanks in advance. This really is a potential deal breaker (for me at least) - even though the app itself looks fantastic - really good.
I hope it fits my needs!
Will.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: external control of Auria?

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:53 am

Hi Will, welcome!

Auria doesn't support midi currently. It's something we're going to be adding in a future update, however.

Auria does support WIST and AuriaLink, which are ways to link two iPads wirelessly, so if you had a second iPad, you could press play on one to have it play both.

Rim

butch107
Expert

Post by butch107 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:40 am

Gonna chime in here Rim. This certainly shouldn't be a deal breaker fro you. Until midi is implemented you can use auto punch as a workaround, as long as you leave plenty of room at the top of song so you can have time to start your track, pickup your instrument and wait for the auto record to rock and roll. Just select bar 13 to how many bars you think you'll need, activate auto punch and you're good to go. I've been leaving 8 - 12 measures up front on everything I've been working on of late, so when the clients go, "i have a great new idea for the front", i'm way ahead of them. 8-),,,,,,,,,
Give it a shot while Rim and the crew continue to make this App the king of the block.....

butch107
Expert

Post by butch107 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:55 am

Just found this today, but someone else had also posted on Aug 11th.
When you select a time signature from the list, higher than 5/4, it changes to the next one in line. here's the selection scenario: 3/8 = 5/4, 6/8 = 3/8, 7/8 = 6/8, 9/8 = 7/8, 12/8 = 9/8. ???

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Yes, this has been added to the bug list, and already fixed for 1.03.

Thanks,
Rim

will
Expert

Post by will » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:14 am

Thanks for the replies.
Butch107 - yes auto punch is an option - and workable for a while I guess - I play arco, standing, so I have a bow in one hand, and the instrument in the other. So It's no trivial thing to get out of stance and loose bow grip....whine whine, suffer for my art etc.
ANYWAY...
I am going to go to the app store now, as I can't really can not contain myself any longer. :D

Thanks again - the time signature thing is good to know - I play in a few!
Hopefully by the time midi is implemented (is there a estimate on that?) I will have a better clue as to what I need to be using hardware wise anyway.

....launch itunes....app store......search for auria......

butch107
Expert

Post by butch107 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:13 pm

Rock It Will,,,, you're gonna luv it.....

will
Expert

Post by will » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:34 am

Bloody hell.

I'm stunned.

Tuli

Post by Tuli » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:54 am

will wrote:Bloody hell.

I'm stunned.
LOL!! thats wat I said 2 wen i first got it....ENJOY MY FRIEND!!!

TotteG

Post by TotteG » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:28 am

Hi all!

Rim, why not make an Remote app for the iPhone/iPad?
I recon we are a few that have both a iPhone & a iPad.
As Auria allready have support for WIST and AuriaLink,
it should be awesome to have the transport controls & all the transport option from Auria
on the iPhone (or on an extra iPad) to set marker, go to marker etc
Midi control would be great to have, then I could use remote apps that I allready own,
but then you'll need a Wifi network to make it work.
With Aurialink wia bluethoth it would be truly mobile.
I'd pay extra for an Auria Remote app :D

/Thomas

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:03 am

An iPhone app to remote control Auria? But the iPad is already so portable... I'm trying to understand a scenario where you'd need something even more portable as a remote control.

Rim

butch107
Expert

Post by butch107 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:53 am

See what you started 8-)
Seriously tho, all my other professional friends are blown away with what you guys have come up with.....

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:57 am

Rim wrote:An iPhone app to remote control Auria? But the iPad is already so portable... I'm trying to understand a scenario where you'd need something even more portable as a remote control.

Rim
LOL.... I swear sometimes that there is a growing population of DAW users who won't be happy until they can produce an entire record nestled comfortably in their lazy boy recliners..preferably while napping....
These are not "producers", or even musicians... They are people who get the same basic emotional satisfaction from using a DAW as they would playing a video game.
This 'all in one' mentality concerning DAW's is killing music production by reducing it to a pile of presets and tuning software that requires no real input from the user. There used to be a system in place to weed out 99% of these clowns. like when your drummer sucked. You didn't edit the shitty drummer's tracks to perfection, you got a drummer who could play. It blows my mind- where is the struggle? Where are the unexpected fruits from that struggle?
Sorry- I digress.

:mrgreen:
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

TotteG

Post by TotteG » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi Rim!

First of all I think it would be very handy to have a remote with bigger play/rec buttons (they are quite small in Auria)
and buttons to access set & go to markers, loop mode etc without having to open up a meny as in Auria.

Maybe a bigger popup transport in Auria, like the bigger master meter that you can bring up when it's needed?

I would like to use a remote with Auria the same way I use a remote with my other DAWs, Tape recorders
as I often is both engineer & musician at the same time, recording a full band or just by myself.

As I will use a setup with the iPad/Auria & the multitrack audio interface PreSonus 1818VSL & an ADA8000, miking drums & amps etc,
then the iPad isn't that movable, with all this stuff connected.

And if I want to move around, do some guitar,bas, vocals, go behind the drums ect then I would need a remote.
Of Course I could use an extra iPad with Auria as remote with AuriaLink, but it would be nice with a smaller iPhone sized one.

I love Auria! it's an amazing piece of software you put togher :D

Best Regards
Thomas

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:59 pm

All good suggestions. makes sense to me now!

Thanks,
Rim