ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Hoffamania

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by Hoffamania » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:07 pm

Can I use any drum sequencer and replace its samples with drum drumagog ? Does drumagog only work with analog drums? Or can I replace their bad sample with a good one?

r3d1973

Post by r3d1973 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:46 pm

can you email your music from Auria and if so how?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:57 pm

Drumagog works with any drums that are on separate audio tracks. For example, kick drum on one track, snare on another.

You can easily email your mixdowns. Just go to the mixdown box and choose the email option.

Rim

Hoffamania

Post by Hoffamania » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:21 pm

Again thank you Mr Rim. I am now endeavoring to do more reading before asking. But one more. I don't have convertors yet. I keep seeing people say they can plug their Gtr in with a head phone splitter(ipad). I can't route it away from the internal mic to the head phone jack. Is there a place to assign it or is this an internet meme or iphone only. Or do I not know how to assingn impuyts. Or spell.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:54 pm

You want to stay away from any kind of audio interface that plugs into the headphone jack of an iPad. These have terrible crosstalk, and the general audio quality is low. I recommend something that plugs into the 30 pin or lightning connector.

Rim

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:06 pm

I found the iTrack Solo really good. Had loads of problems with the IO Dock, but none at all with the Solo. Also deals with mic input and carries phantom power. Cheap too!

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

firehosed
Expert

Post by firehosed » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:05 am

I am having a very hard time understanding how to properly use Pro-C. I have tried watching videos on YouTube and it's still not clicking.

Thanks

Br8zinn
Expert

Post by Br8zinn » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:01 pm

Tarekith wrote:Download it from soundcloud to your computer and then use iTunes file sharing to put it into Auria, very easy.m or you could use Dropbox as well, if that's easier.
Thanks,,,but I wanted to do this without using a computer...?

Higgy

Post by Higgy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:01 am

Hi all, this is my first cry for help & I'm sure there will be many others! :)
I have some old recordings from the 60s & 70s of my father singing, some recordings are terrible, they are Instruments miked up with vocals from different rooms.
I was wondering if I could restore them, make them sound a bit better than they are.
I have Auria & about 80% of the plugins.
I'm thinking I could use Auria in some way to accomplish this Mission.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you :)

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:35 am

You could probably do something to clean them up and make some adjustments, hard to say with certainty without hearing the files or knowing what you want to do exactly.

Higgy

Post by Higgy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:13 pm

Tarekith wrote:You could probably do something to clean them up and make some adjustments, hard to say with certainty without hearing the files or knowing what you want to do exactly.
Thanks for your reply Tarekith, yes that's Exactly what I'd like to do, clean them up & maybe use pro q to try & add a bit of sparkle back but some are so bad I don't know what I'd be able to do if anything. There quite dull sounding & have noise (hissing). Any idea if I could get rid of noise some how?
Maybe using pro g? I'm jus guessing. I could send u a clip but don't want to put you out your way. I'm sure I checked ur site out & some of your music few month back, I remember ur name, I'm sure ur a bizzy man :)
Thanks

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:29 pm

You can send me a file if you'd like me to take a listen and let you know what I think. Pretty busy this weekend, but I'd be happy to fit in when I get a little free time. Feel free to use the file uploader on my site:

http://innerportalstudio.com/upload

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:40 pm

I don't think the iPad is suited for audio restoration. No dedicated app suite for this task, no ideal data transfer, small screen ...

Noise/hiss is generally difficult to remove. And there is no app I know of that does denoising. No wonder, we don't need that anymore, all recordings are clean and noiseless.

One important thing is also to play back the tapes correctly, best if you have the machine that was used for the recording. Make sure it has the same noise reduction enabled like the tape. Usually the engineer makes a mark on the tape cover with the applied NR method. In case you only have the recording on HD with no decoding, there is still an option to properly decode the recorded NR. u-he's Satin emulates also several commonly used NR systems, and can be used to decode old tapes.

Restoring old recordings is not easy. You need a lot of knowledge and experience, and also special and expensive tools. With Auria plugins you can do not much. Notching out some frequencies, but that often does not work very well.

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:00 pm

At the same time, sometimes a little improvement is much better than no improvement at all. Doesn't sound like he expects perfectly cleaned up recordings, sometimes some EQing and dynamics work to clean things up a little helps a lot.

Higgy

Post by Higgy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:08 pm

@ Tarekith Thanks for that il send u a file using ur website. No rush so take as long as u wish.
Thank you :)

@ Phil thank u for ur input, yes I agree there's nothing for restoring on the iPad & it's a difficult task.
I think it was recorded on the old skool reel to reel things then transferred to tape later
I just hooked up my tape deck to my audio interface & got the tape recording on my mac & now on my iPad cos I'm sure I can improve it even though it might not be that much better but any improvement is better than nothing, I know I won't accomplish something amazing but it's worth a go for me dad :)
Thanks Phil