ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rkmonkey
Expert

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by rkmonkey » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:34 pm

I use automatin for this.
Add effect to track (classic verb for example).
Select the down arrow next to audio and drop down menu appears for parameters.
Scroll down to select parameter (classic verb, mix)
Hold finger on track and blue line will appear.
Hold in multiple places to adjust parameter up or down.
In this case, down is dry and up wet.
Hope this helps.
Attachments
image.jpg

rkmonkey
Expert

Post by rkmonkey » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:47 pm

hotlipslawson wrote:Having studied the (somewhat obsolete) Auria User Guide extensively, I still can not figure out how to apply an effect (reverb) to a region and not to an entire track. Please help.
Alternative is to cut part to new track and apply effect to the new track.
Attachments
image.jpg

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:24 am

@hotlipslawson: You mentioned you felt the user guide was "somewhat obsolete". We update the guide with every new version, and strive to keep it very current. Can you let me know which section you thought was lacking? I would love to know, so we can fix it right away.

Thanks,
Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:39 pm

Automation is going to be your savior here. You simply draw your FX in automation and the Fx will only be applied at the automation point. Auria's auromation is probably the most comprehensive I have ever seen and it is spot on in acuracy. I am producing a video tutorial on this very subject and I will pass the link on to you for your reference. Good luck with everything and my dad wasvthe greatest trumpet player ever and your high notes reminded me of him. My dad has passed away so wenever I hear a trumpet part I have to stop and listen. Good luck in the contest too. Cheers.
~~_/)~~~

Rockettooth

Post by Rockettooth » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:53 pm

For give me if I'm in the wrong area to post this. I am fairly new with auria and am just starting to find my way around. I have a project going with 8 tracks. When I start a new track,(track 9), iI cannot get audio in from anything else? It will show recording, but won't pick up any audio when I start a new track. I've tried inter app, audiobus, and audio through a focusrite 6i6. The levels show up in the input matrix, but not on the mixer. Everything is record enabled. I've checked the input matrix. I've started a new project and can get all three to work. What is wrong with my current project? I have inter app audio tracks, audio tracks through the focusrite and audiobus tracks. When I add another track, the audio will not record anymore? Can anyone help me out on this?

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:05 pm

Is it maybe a mono track and you're trying to use stereo effects? Just guessing really.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:27 pm

Rockettooth wrote:For give me if I'm in the wrong area to post this. I am fairly new with auria and am just starting to find my way around. I have a project going with 8 tracks. When I start a new track,(track 9), iI cannot get audio in from anything else? It will show recording, but won't pick up any audio when I start a new track. I've tried inter app, audiobus, and audio through a focusrite 6i6. The levels show up in the input matrix, but not on the mixer. Everything is record enabled. I've checked the input matrix. I've started a new project and can get all three to work. What is wrong with my current project? I have inter app audio tracks, audio tracks through the focusrite and audiobus tracks. When I add another track, the audio will not record anymore? Can anyone help me out on this?
I have encountered this problem with the Inter Apo Audio. I have found on some projects that even after ejecting the app plugin, Auria still showed it in the midi settings. In fact one if my projects continued to show 10 inter apps on my midi settings and I was never able to eject them. This seemed to take over my audio tracks and recording within that project had to end as I simply could not go further. I have since learned that the inter apps must never bet opened after a track has been recorded and must be ejected and removed from the iPads memory before it can be finally out of Auria. You may be encountering this very problem. Check your midi settings within the corrupted project and see if the inter apps you used for the project are still listed even though they have been ejected and put away. Cheers and hope this helps and sorry I found no way to fix it.

Rockettooth

Post by Rockettooth » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Thank you for your reply. Will check this out. In the mean time I'm sending a copy of to rim. Hopefully he can figure out what is going on. I suspect your on the right track. Been having some screwy issues with iaa. It's a new world to record in and I suspect everyone is still learning. Will post with more info upon further inspection and progress

mdarby
Expert

Post by mdarby » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:39 am

I have a mixing/mastering question for the experts. Thanks for any suggestions.

I am recording a cover version of Radiohead's Exit Music For A Film. I have all the parts recorded and am trying to mix it close to the original. In the Radiohead version, the vocals are quite loud in the mix relative to other parts. It is quite distinctive. I don't think they just pushed up the vocal fader. The voice seems pretty bass-rich and maybe distorted.

I know I can't sing like Thomas Yorke but would like to get some of the same effect as the original song. Any suggestions?

Sorry if you aren't familiar with the song. I assumed I should not attach an .mp3 for copyright.

Thanks,
Michael

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:58 am

Hi MDarby, here is how I would begin to copy a mix. If you have ProQ use the frequency analyser to watch for the frequency and gain of the main vocal as well as the other parts. Write down the frequency and gain difference for both parts. Now when miixing your own version try to EQ your parts to the marching frequency and gain. Then once your close get ProC out and have ProC listen to just that frequency and compress that frequency only this will raise the relative level of the vocal without using the fader. As well if it sounds distorted than it probably is so use some Saturn dialed in slightly in certain frequencies. This will help the vocal obtain presence without raising the level as well. Finish off with some glueing compression if it still sounds seperated or not sounding whole. DCam BussCompressor otr ProC or even the PsP Channel Strip compressor will do it fine. Good luck. Don't forget to limit with your ProL to match the originals overall level.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:26 am

don't know the song in question, but from the description there could also be some ducking applied to the instruments, triggered by the voice level.

mdarby
Expert

Post by mdarby » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:51 pm

Thanks for the specific suggestions. I just bought Pro-Q and Pro-C so will use those to do some analysis / adjustments.

mdarby
Expert

Post by mdarby » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:48 pm

Looking at the reference (Radiohead) track in Pro-Q was instructive. Thanks, what a great tool! It really is loud, with the curve swelling from 100-200 Hz in one or more peaks. I am assuming that isn't the natural spectrum of a normally pitched male voice.

Also, there is hiss on the vocals as well. On my own version, I used a gate to remove microphone hiss but I guess they were going for a different effect. I hadn't really noticed it until I listened more carefully.

hotlipslawson
Expert

Post by hotlipslawson » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:33 pm

Can someone please tell me how to access in-app purchases? I bought PianoVerb2 during the sale a few days ago and the auto-tune app several weeks ago and have not been able to find and start using either one.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:16 pm

Both of those should be in your plugin insert menu. If you don't see them, click on the Restore Purchases button in the store.

Rim