ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Bob Amser
Expert

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by Bob Amser » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:32 pm

Hi folks,

Quick question. I have a rock track that has a relatively quiet intro and then everything comes in at once. I've dialed up the compression pretty high which works nicely during the song itself, but there's a dodgy bit when everything comes in. The big thump of it all coming in seems to overwhelm everything and it sort of goes quiet. This only happens at the very start - it's as if the compression gets overwhelmed by all the instruments coming in hard at once.

Any way of avoiding that?

Cheers.

Bob Amser

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:54 pm

Does the compressor have a lookahead? Maybe you could automate that right before everything comes in?

Otherwise:

Bounce two versions of the song, one with the compression where it sounds good on the loud parts, and one where it sounds good on the softer parts. Then just cut and paste (and xfade) the best of both verisons into one.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:16 am

Thanks, I'll give that a go. I'm using the included compressor with Auria for now, but got my eye on the pro-q one.

Thanks for the help.

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Spud
Expert

Post by Spud » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:08 pm

A bit of volume automation on the tracks around that point might work. Or you could set another compressor/limiter at a higher threshold only triggered by that really loud bit and use a very high compression ratio to really crush it.
Bob Amser wrote:Hi folks,

Quick question. I have a rock track that has a relatively quiet intro and then everything comes in at once. I've dialed up the compression pretty high which works nicely during the song itself, but there's a dodgy bit when everything comes in. The big thump of it all coming in seems to overwhelm everything and it sort of goes quiet. This only happens at the very start - it's as if the compression gets overwhelmed by all the instruments coming in hard at once.

Any way of avoiding that?

Cheers.

Bob Amser

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:47 am

Spud wrote:Or you could set another compressor/limiter at a higher threshold only triggered by that really loud bit and use a very high compression ratio to really crush it.
for ducking you'd need side-chain input. Is there side-chain in Auria? That would be new to me.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:47 am

Yes, Auria has side chain. The selector for it is on the top of every plugin window. However, in order for it to work, you need to use a plugin that supports it. The only ones that do are the FabFilter plugins.

Rim

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:30 pm

this is great, I didn't know that. I only have the Pro-Q, and in this case the Pro-C becomes really interesting for me. Thank you Rim, I missed that info about side-chaining.

Br8zinn
Expert

Post by Br8zinn » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:20 pm

Is there a way for me to send or input? My soundcloud song into AURIA....I have a song I did that I lost between all these updates and such and I have the instrumental on soundcloud only....how can I send to AURIA in order to add new vocals and remaster so to speak???thanks so much!!

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:54 am

Download it from soundcloud to your computer and then use iTunes file sharing to put it into Auria, very easy.m or you could use Dropbox as well, if that's easier.

Hoffamania

Post by Hoffamania » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:58 pm

I can't find the in app purchases. I bought the drum loops. I don't know where they are. Where do I find it?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Drum loops will be located in the Loops folder. When you use the Import Audio menu, just navigate to the Loops folder and choose the loop you want.

If you don't see them, you may need to re-download the loops. To do this, go to the Auria store and click Restore Purchases.

Rim

DeanRasik

Post by DeanRasik » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:55 pm

So... I'm new... I downloaded a free demo from the Auria Store.... (James McCartney) and can't find it... Where is it? How do I play that?
Thanks...
Dean

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:58 pm

If you tap on Menu, then Load Project, you should see it in the list of projects.

Rim

Hoffamania

Post by Hoffamania » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:26 pm

Still can't get the loops going. I see them. They are not selectable. They are like empty links. I feel like I am erasing them. I am having trouble posting questions so I am sure it user related. There is nothing in the intail demo song file now( the approach) either. Am I inadvertently doing something to empty these folders?

Ps thanks for the earlier help. I really love this app and want it to work for me. I'd like to stop asking questions and post what I've done with it instead. And yes I have restored purchases. Twice. I know I'm doing something weird.

Hoffamania

Post by Hoffamania » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:46 pm

Alright I'm an idiot. You have to select each track individually. Seeing they are multi trck loops. Like its called. Thanks for the help. I've been a disaster with all digital formats but the Roland 1680. I used to have a tape machine. I could touch that stuff. I got hooked on garage band for iPad. Wanted to step it up. I've been remixing the Rubens. I love this thing. I can't wait to use this. I wish I could audition the loop as a whole. Am I still missing some thing?( I know missing a lot.) but specifically. I guess the room mike is a good audition. Thanks for the help.