ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Psamber

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by Psamber » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:25 pm

I've got a question....

I'm trying to export a project as a midi file to send a friend, who is trying to load the file in his desktop DAW to swap out the sounds with patches he created.

The issue is, when he loads the file, the notes are showing up, but there's no tempo info, so the notes aren't located in the correct location.

I also tried reloading the midi file on a new track in the same Auria project and found all sorts of weird errors, from single notes being extended indefinitely, to incorrect placement, and strange chords that didn't exist.

Is there a way to export a whole project's midi so that he can load in his DAW and essentially have the correct notes in the correct locations to work with?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Gary
Expert

Post by Gary » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:54 am

Hey ... has anyone tried MixBox CS? Any opin’s? Looks like a real bargain right now.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:41 pm

Gary wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:54 am
Hey ... has anyone tried MixBox CS? Any opin’s? Looks like a real bargain right now.
I don’t have it but it gets raves on the Audiobus forum.

Alamano

Post by Alamano » Sat May 22, 2021 7:01 pm

:?: MIDI playback :?:

Greetings

After I’ve recorded a MIDI track, the recorded MIDI doesn’t trigger the sound of the instrument. I can still make sound with the MIDI keyboard, and the virtual keyboard on the screen, but no sound is triggered during playback.

Is there a button I neglected to push? Am I set up wrong?

I’m using an iRig keyboard, a 6th generation iPad running iOS 14.5.1, run through a Focusright iTrack Dock.

I’d been happily using Auria Pro for years then, after an app update a little over a year ago, things started not working right, I got frustrated and moved on to Cubasis 3.

I miss Auria, and want to come home. This is my first step in that direction. The next being converting MIDI tracks to WAV tracks.

Thoughts? Anybody?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me.

Don

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Sat May 22, 2021 8:23 pm

Alamano wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:01 pm
:?: MIDI playback :?:

Greetings

After I’ve recorded a MIDI track, the recorded MIDI doesn’t trigger the sound of the instrument. I can still make sound with the MIDI keyboard, and the virtual keyboard on the screen, but no sound is triggered during playback.

Is there a button I neglected to push? Am I set up wrong?

I’m using an iRig keyboard, a 6th generation iPad running iOS 14.5.1, run through a Focusright iTrack Dock.

I’d been happily using Auria Pro for years then, after an app update a little over a year ago, things started not working right, I got frustrated and moved on to Cubasis 3.

I miss Auria, and want to come home. This is my first step in that direction. The next being converting MIDI tracks to WAV tracks.

Thoughts? Anybody?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me.

Don
I've not experienced that. Can you post a screen recording showing how your project is set up and then show it playing back.

Alamano

Post by Alamano » Mon May 24, 2021 12:42 am

This forum wouldn’t accept the screen shot :(

Here’s a link to it on YouTube: https://youtu.be/QgsKhwseDl4

It shows the mixing screen, the MIDI link, and the MIDI recording. Silence at the start through when the MIDI tracks starts tp ‘play’, the the piano notes you hear are are me tapping on the virtual keyboard (creating new purple notes), followed by my tapping on my MIDI keyboard (triggering the VU on the left).

Thanks for offering to help

Don

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Mon May 24, 2021 3:43 pm

Alamano wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:42 am
This forum wouldn’t accept the screen shot :(

Here’s a link to it on YouTube: https://youtu.be/QgsKhwseDl4

It shows the mixing screen, the MIDI link, and the MIDI recording. Silence at the start through when the MIDI tracks starts tp ‘play’, the the piano notes you hear are are me tapping on the virtual keyboard (creating new purple notes), followed by my tapping on my MIDI keyboard (triggering the VU on the left).

Thanks for offering to help

Don
The first thing to do is to see if this is related to SampleTank which is a standalone IAA app that has not been update in years. If you choose one of Auria Pro's internal instruments as the playback instrument do the piano roll notes play back correctly?

Alamano

Post by Alamano » Fri May 28, 2021 9:23 am

No

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Sat May 29, 2021 12:23 am

Alamano wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:23 am
No
perhaps you can zip up a copy of your project and upload it where others can try it?

NoiseHorse
Expert

Post by NoiseHorse » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:10 pm

So I have a audio recording question:
When I record my acoustic guitar plugged into my interface (Motu M2) or Vocals, I consistently get a much cleaner and more detailed sound using Auria than any other DAW on my iPad Air 4.
I have frequently tried to record the exact same guitar playing on Auria, Cubasis 3, n-Track studio and Audio Evolution using no effects, and Auria consistently shows more detail and clarity.
What is the magic that makes this happen? I use 24 bit inputs on all DAWs and it’s same guitar plugged in with same levels recorded one DAW after another consecutively. I really don’t think I magically play better when it’s Auria, because I can more clearly hear my mistakes when recording on Auria.
It’s true Auria has the best features available on any iOS DAW, others are catching up. But I use it for clarity, I just don’t know why it’s so great sounding???

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:10 pm

NoiseHorse wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:10 pm
So I have a audio recording question:
When I record my acoustic guitar plugged into my interface (Motu M2) or Vocals, I consistently get a much cleaner and more detailed sound using Auria than any other DAW on my iPad Air 4.
I have frequently tried to record the exact same guitar playing on Auria, Cubasis 3, n-Track studio and Audio Evolution using no effects, and Auria consistently shows more detail and clarity.
What is the magic that makes this happen? I use 24 bit inputs on all DAWs and it’s same guitar plugged in with same levels recorded one DAW after another consecutively. I really don’t think I magically play better when it’s Auria, because I can more clearly hear my mistakes when recording on Auria.
It’s true Auria has the best features available on any iOS DAW, others are catching up. But I use it for clarity, I just don’t know why it’s so great sounding???
Are you sure that the recorded file itself actually sounds different? To see if it really is the recording, take the raw audio you recorded in Cubasis and Auria -- normalize them with the same app. Load the resulting audio files into the same host with identical settings and do a blind A/B.