Using a mixer with Auria

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

djbios

Using a mixer with Auria

Post by djbios » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:05 pm

Dear friends

I own Auria and it's one of the best software I've ever seen. Now, I'd like to use a mixer to control it. I own a Behringer BCF2000 (http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BCF2000.aspx) but it doesn't work with Auria. Yes, I've checked the support list on Auria's website, but there I see just audio interfaces (ok, there is a digital mixer by Behringer but it costs over 2000 euro ;)). Any suggestions to control Auria with real faders?

thanks a lot!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Using a mixer with Auria

Post by Rim » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi,

There's no way to "control" Auria with faders, because Auria doesn't support midi. But there are several mixers which work as a simple audio interface when connected through USB. Most of them are 2 channels only.

Rim

djbios

Post by djbios » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:20 pm

thanks a lot!

kwalker0210
Expert

Post by kwalker0210 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:04 pm

Forgive my curiosity: I was curious as to why you want to replace the touch control of Auria?

djbios

Post by djbios » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:11 pm

it's a good question mate. Because the hardware "touch" on sliders is more precise imho than a finger on a display. My tracks are heavily based on lot of mix tricks and I need to precisely tune the sliders :(

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:19 am

I agree. Many times I set a fine adjustment only to find that after I let my finger off the screen the slider moved and sometimes a fair amount. I don't really need anymore midi instruments as I have plenty already but to have mix control of Auria so that I can get smoother mixes and a live mix approach would be great. It's easier and more accurate when riding vocals in a mix to use real faders. Please implement CC mapping on all Aurias faders and rotary knobs. I do this in Magelan, Animoog, Sunrizer already. Maybe we could get midi in steps starting with this one. Since Auria is a predominantly recording and mixing app, I think this is a vital detail as I already control my Mac daws this way.
Cheers
~~_/)~~~

kwalker0210
Expert

Post by kwalker0210 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:52 am

By using an external mixer to control Auria, are you not turn your iPad into an overpriced and under-performing video monitor?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:48 am

kwalker0210 wrote:By using an external mixer to control Auria, are you not turn your iPad into an overpriced and under-performing video monitor?
No this is not like controlling a mirror image of software, this is a very normal approach to digital audio recording. Just look at any ProTools system and you will see that most are using a mix controller. Adding CC control on Aurias faders is not too difficult and is the starting point of adding midi. In other words if Midi is added to Auria this will be a common feature already there.
There is a reason why apps like Animoog,Magelan, Sunrizer, Cassinni, NLog Pro and Daws like ProTools, Logic Audio, Cubase Audio, Reaper ect. All allow for midi mapping of their faders and knobs for a more LIVE performance. So this feature is not a screen controlling a screen but rather real faders and real knobs controlling Aurias faders and knobs. This also allows you to make adjustments to your mix from your keyboard controller. In my case an M-Audio Axiom Pro which is a midi controller. Although not everyone uses this approach to mixing or Daw control I think many will use it once its implemented in Auria.
Cheers
~~_/)~~~

kwalker0210
Expert

Post by kwalker0210 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:08 am

Just out of curiosity, do you have a desktop or laptop based DAW already?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:49 am

kwalker0210 wrote:Just out of curiosity, do you have a desktop or laptop based DAW already?
I'm not urge what your question has to do with CC control and Auria as everyone here is asking for midi to come to Auria and what I'm asking for is a simple element of that feature but to answer your question of curiosity,
I've been an audio engineer and producer since 1985. So I have owned and worked with Pro Audio Recording gear since then. That's probably everything from the first Sony Digital Dash Machine ( Reel to Reel ) to the first consumer computer Daw system. The early days of digital audio required faster drives like scsi so laptops were not fast enough then so everything was on your PCM or Mac tower. So the iPad is a novelty allowing me a different and fresh approach to audio production and until Auria I mostly saw it as a sketch pad but Auria changes that and as a result I'm now using my iPad in a much more serious way. I currently use my controller for my desktop daw and I would like to control Auria that way too.

Cheers and thanks for your comments.
~~_/)~~~

kwalker0210
Expert

Post by kwalker0210 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:09 pm

You have to admit that it took far more energy (and words) to share your credentials than it would have to answer my question. There is nothing wrong with saying that you have hardware that you use with your PC or MAC that you would like to use with the iPad or, as you have already stated, that the novelty of the iPad DAW has sparked your imagination and creativity and you want to explore the possibilities. I think that is admirable. No harm intended.

Renfield
Expert

Post by Renfield » Sun May 22, 2016 4:04 pm

Has it happened anything on this front since the last post? I'm also looking for a mixer that I can ride the faders with.