No AAF to Digital Performer

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Bog music

No AAF to Digital Performer

Post by Bog music » Sun May 12, 2013 5:40 pm

Hi
I am having trouble trying to import AAF files into Digital Performer 8 (windows)
When I export the demo song as a test it imports back into auria ok but when I try to import in into DP8 it just gives me an empty project.
Any ideas what is happening? Is it a problem with DP or am I doing doing something wrong.
I have purchased auria but have not yet purchased DP8 as I am still testing alternatives. I do like DP8 which is at the top of my list at the moment so I hope you can help
Regards
Simon

Rim
Site Admin

Re: No AAF to Digital Performer

Post by Rim » Sun May 12, 2013 9:40 pm

We've had no issues importing an Auria AAF file into DP8 for Mac, but we haven't tried the Windows version yet. One thing to check is to make sure all your audio files are in the same folder as the actual aaf file (Auria doesn't generated embedded aaf files, so you need to copy both the audio files and the aaf file when importing into DP).

Rim

Bog music

Post by Bog music » Mon May 13, 2013 10:49 am

Thanks for the quick reply Rim
I am not yet familiar with Digital Performer so I cant be sure yet however DP8 for windows may be the culprit in this case.

I exported a DP8 demo song in AAF format and then imported it as AAF and it appeared to work BUT...
suspecting a glitch in the import process I deleted the original demo so all I had was the exported aaf file and associated audio. This time the audio was reported to be missing meaning that DP8 was looking in the previous location of audio files (prior to importing) rather than the new folder created during the import process.

I will do a few more tests tonight and report back to MOTU if this is confirmed. I have not purchased yet so they might be that bit keener to help :)

In the mean time as a workaround, is there an easy way of populating blank regions of auria tracks with silence in order to match up all the individual track start-times to make the song simpler to reconstruct in a 3rd party DAW?

On the plus side, I am enjoying Auria very much - even if my fingers are a bit too fat for the ipad mini!
Regards
Simon

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon May 13, 2013 11:53 am

There actually is a way to do what you describe. Auria has a mixdown option called Stems (in the file type menu of the mixdown box). This allows you to export each track as a complete file.

Rim

Bog music

Post by Bog music » Mon May 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Ahah - Stems
RTFM* alert! I haven't got that far into the manual!
I may just dump the idea of using aaf and stick with stems after doing a few searches to see if anyone had similar issues I get the impression aaf can be a bit unpredictable and you still have to do quite a bit of housework after importing.

Thanks again RIM

*(read the f***** manual)