Wow lfo sync still not syncing sometimes

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

gdog
Expert

Wow lfo sync still not syncing sometimes

Post by gdog » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi,

To reproduce this bug - load a short loop (a loop with an 8th rhythm, so u can hear if it's in sync), put Wow in its fx, set Wow's cutoff low, set its lfo to 1/16, with the fastest envelope shape (3rd from top), & link to cutoff with a high value, add some distortion to make it louder, adjust Wow's mix & volume knobs so u can hear the dry signal & the wet simultaneouly.

This usually happens when Auria is in loop playback mode, after playing back some loops - it's wierd coz sometimes it'll be out of sync straight away, others it takes many loops before drifting. Also I'm not sure if this is normal, but 1 instance of Wow is taking up ~37% CPU on an iPad3, iOS 7.0.2.

Thanks for reading, & all the best <3

ChrisG
Expert

Re: Wow lfo sync still not syncing sometimes

Post by ChrisG » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:14 am

I've only tried it briefly, but some drifting I did notice. Not sure how Auria and plugs communicate song positions etc, but I think this is a Sugar Bytes issue since it's not there in any of the FabFilters modulated plugs. As for performance, on my iPad 2 WOW will suck up all available RAM no matter how much is there (when having the interface open that is). I have no idea what Sugar Bytes stuffed the WOW UI with to make it slurp up hundreds of mb RAM just like that, but surely there gotta be something they can do here to minimize the footprint on RAM usage. Both Sugar Bytes plugins seems to use quite a bit more CPU inside Auria then the stand-alone versions irregardless of buffer, so WOW using 37% on your iPad 3 doesn't have anything to do with your particular iPad/setup I'd say.

Try another mail maybe? I don't wanna be nagging em _again_ (I've been nagging them about all their 3 available products for iOS and their user interface which are copy/pasted straight from the Mac/PC versions). They gonna start banning me all over soon lol

Edit: Just to add about the drifting, in my case I'm not sure if's the phasing inside WOW or something else that might have a preset drift (no matter what the host tells it). And I don't own the desktop version, so can't check it against that. And I'm not completely familiar with the whole plugin yet either so..

gdog
Expert

Post by gdog » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:58 pm

Thanks for reply Chris & taking the time to test :)

While Sugar Bytes apps do sound great, I agree that their UIs could definitely be optimised for iOS. Also, I do believe the sync issue is most probably something SB has to address, but thought I'd post it here too (I've already emailed them too many times, & it's funny you say you've done that too, how very <pun unintended> syncronistical ;) ). If someone from WaveMachine Labs feels it's appropriate - maybe they could contact SB about this too..

Re phasing - thanks for the info! In my case, I'm sure it's not phasing, it's v.obvious with any rhythmical loop to hear with the example in my 1st post.

Another bug I've noticed with SB Turnado, & Wow in standalone mode (ie nothing to do with Auria) - is that when I load a wav using ACP into them, they don't loop correctly (loud click at end of loop). This doesn't happen with their preinstalled loops, just ones imported using ACP.

I know SB are working on these things, & ios7 has been causing a few hiccups with some audio apps - Perhaps their apps being on sale will spur some updates, as more & more people enjoy their wonderful apps!

Thanks for reading, & all the best <3

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:57 am

FYI, I've identified an issue in Auria that causes this loop issue. I'm going to try to get this fixed for 1.15.

Thanks,
Rim

gdog
Expert

Post by gdog » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:53 pm

Cool! Thanks for the reply Rim :)
All the best! <3

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:41 am

Loading files into the stand alone version of Turnado gives me the same issues, almost like it tries to trim the loops ever so slightly to make em loop better or something. Sugar Bytes did mention this was fixed in one of the Turnado updates, but it's still an issue, so I think they need to look into that some more. I just use Audiobus as workaround for now.