edit screen very unresponsive since update

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mtingle
Expert

edit screen very unresponsive since update

Post by mtingle » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Finally had a chance to use 1.14 and iOS 7.03 together and I'm pretty astounded at the incredible sluggishness of the edit screen compared to 1.11 and iOS 6.

I hope that this is being looked into. Kinda hard to use as it stands.

ipad 4.

UPDATE: some projects are worse than others.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: edit screen very unresponsive since update

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:34 am

This is unfortunately an issue with iOS7. They broke the way the scrollview works. It's more sluggish in certain apps, and also the way panning (moving around in the editor) works is different now in iOS7. Hopefully Apple will fix this in a future update.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:59 pm

Rim wrote:This is unfortunately an issue with iOS7.

Rim
I hope some adapting can be done as if it stays as it is, Auria's future is not so bright for medium to large projects.

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:24 pm

iPad 2 with around 4 tracks, below around 30-35% CPU usage and plenty RAM...Zoom vertically with a pinch gesture goes like "pinch a little, wait 4-5 sec to get the zoom/new rendering, repeat"...Moving around can somewhat be alleviated by turning off waveforms, but it's the pinching, zooming around to make edits that is basically broken on iPad 2. If it's really sluggish on on the iPad 4 , I wonder how it behaves on the Air.

Pre-OS 7, after seeing some other apps trying to handle drawing lots of lines, I really came to appreciate what the Auria editor was capable of and how much work must have gone into to having an iPad 2 being able to draw all those super detailed waveforms, a bit sluggish, but never nowhere near unusably sluggish. And now Apple just kinda ruined all that?

I've noticed sluggish UI behavior in a bunch of other apps on iOS 7. Audio apps with background audio and sluggish UI gives a lot better audio performance when the app is closed, almost like iOS 7 slaps some really really demanding filter overlay on some types of UIs, that in turn affects audio performance etc.

Anyway, is there _anything_ at this point that can be done to speed up the edit UI on iPad 2 specs running iOS 7? Or is upgrading to a beefier CPU the only option now? (Alternatively wait for Apple to sort things out?)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:52 pm

Nothing can be done from our end. We're just waiting for Apple to fix this along with other devs. The Air is fast enough that it's not affected by this.

Rim

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:29 am

I see, thanks. I do have an Air preordered, it's currently either on some production line in China or somewhere else but...here. I hope Apple recognize this as an issue though, and that they actually even are aware of it.

Thought you big guys had a red bat iPhone with Tim on the other end. :cry:

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:14 am

I bought an iPad4 mainly because of auria to escape from the sluggish edit screen on iPad 2 (though even on iPad 4 it never completely disappeared).Now it's back and more worse than ever.Apple,wake up!

Buying the latest iPad JUST for auria again is not an option now.Sadly i spent more than 300€ for auria but it's practically near unusable for me as it is now :-(

Really hope they fix it soon.What about iOS 7.04?Any better?I still wait before i update.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:27 am

Apple still hasn't fixed this in 7.04. It's completely gone on an iPad Air, but still slightly noticeable on an iPad 4. We're still hoping they address this at some point.

Rim

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:26 am

Thanks Rim.

I know it's not your fault but i have to say that it's more than"slightly notable".But maybe it's because it was never supersmooth in my saved projects and now it summed up.I did not started a complete new project under iOS 7 just because of that.Maybe i'll give it a try and things are hopefully a bit better.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Higgy

Post by Higgy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:39 am

Hi rim, congrats on an amazing app!
I've been using an ipad 3 & a couple of weeks ago I got the Air.
I thought the screen would be much less choppier but it isn't for me :(
I've just read this post so I thought I'd share my experience with you & other as you said it has completely gone on the Ipad Air.
For me when pinching horizontally in Auria on ipad 3 & air there's not much difference, there're both ok.
When pinching vertically the ipad Air is slightly more choppy than the ipad 3 running ios6.
It's not bad but I thought buying the ipad Air Auria would be nice smooth

Thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:58 pm

Here's what's going on: As soon as iOS7 came out, I tested the editor and found it to be completely unusable. When I say completely, I mean it took 15 seconds to do a pinch zoom. I found that this is a known iOS7 bug, and that Apple is aware of it. So instead of waiting for Apple to fix this, I went to work optimizing the editor to get it working as smoothly as possible, and I was able to get a 2x improvement in editor speed. What this meant at this point was that under iOS7, it was acceptable, but not great running on an iPad 4. Running it on an Air meant that this new editor code was exactly the same speed as the old code running on iOS6 (for example Auria 1.13).
But, as a result of improving the editor speed 2x, the new code now runs 2x faster on iOS6. So when I say the issue is "completely gone" on an iPad Air, what I mean is that the editor speed is the same as it was when it ran on iOS6 a few Auria versions back (for example Auria 1.12 or 1.13). But if you compare it to Auria 1.14 on iOS6, it's definitely much faster on iOS6, because I just made is 2x faster with my optimizations. Hope that makes sense.

Rim

Higgy

Post by Higgy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Oh right I can just about understand :)
Thanks for the reply, I almost feel bad as its a longish reply & u took time out to deal with it :lol:
Thanks for all your hard work & creating this monster of a app!
Your a Star mate