focusrite scarlet 2i2 problems

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Israel
Expert

Re: focusrite scarlet 2i2 problems

Post by Israel » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:41 pm

I dont know if its, but the way you describe it, its the same as what happens with iTrack Solo after the ios 7 update, and although the solo is made for the ipad, theyre both pretty similar products so... just additional info

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:56 pm

I use the 2i2 everyday and without any oroblems nor have I ever had any problems so here is some tech info that may help.
The 2i2 is usb 2.0 and a usb hub that is higher than that will be driven down to 2.0 speed as the lowest usb pluged in takes presidence. Some usb hubs do not like this effect. In other words if you plug in a 1.0 usb device into your 3.0 usb hub you will drive the usb device transfer rate down to one that suites usb 1.0
What you may have is another unit pluged into the same hub that driving your usb transfer rate down to usb 1.0 which could affect the performance of the Scarlet 2i2.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:18 pm

I've been using the 2i2 with an iPad 2 for about a year with no problems. Working fine with iOS 7.0.3 and Auria 1.14. I've got it plugged into a Belkin 2.0 4-port hub, white.

BGR
Expert

Post by BGR » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:21 pm

I have similar problems with this interface. It randomly stopps signal input or resets itself or fails alltogether. Randomly. Maybe 2 times every 3 hours of use. But I don't go as far as to disconnect and connect again. I just load a different project and load the project I'm working on again. And it comes back to life. You might consider disabling USB soft start also. Hope it helps. By the way, it never happens to me while using it, it happens while iddle. And I use and unpowered hub with a y-cable and an external USB mobile power supply.

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:34 pm

Hi spuds0828,

I suspect the issue you have here is that this is a USB 3.0 hub. The USB 3 standard specifies backwards compatibility to USB 2 however we have found that not all the USB 3 ports/chipsets on the market are as fully backwards compatible as they should be. Try a normal USB 2.0 powered hub and you should see great results.

Hi BGR,

I see you state you have an "unpowered" usb hub? Is this the case?

I would not expect normal function without a Powered Usb hub as the device may not get enough power.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Best regards.
Katherine Kaplan // Focusrite Technical Support

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/

BGR
Expert

Post by BGR » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:46 pm

Hi Katherine,

Please don't think I'm complaining because I'm not. I love my setup.

Please look for fgplayerx user. The post about how to be truly mobile. It works fantastically well. I use an unpowered hub. But power the 2i2 with a USB 5v 800ma mobile power supply and a Y-cable.

And the 2i2 reacts the same with a wall socket powered USB hub. I've tried both options. But I have to admit that to be wall socket free is by far my best option.

I was just trying to tell the OP that he does not need to disconnect and connect again. He should just try to load another project and reload the project he is working on. It saves time :)

Thank you for the quick reply though :)

All in all, I'm extremely satisfied with the results I'm achieving with Auria and the 2i2.

spuds0828

Post by spuds0828 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:55 pm

I have since bought the dynex 2.0-7 hub because other users said it works perfectly with no problems what so ever...so decided to order it... just got it in today! hooked it up and now i get power to the interface...BUT, now its not transfering data between itself and the ipad..because when i go to play it (the ipad) the sound comes out of the ipad and not the interface!...there is power to the interface cause i can see the gain knobs light up and the phantom power light is lit up!....Need some help any suggestions

spuds0828

Post by spuds0828 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:57 pm

BGR wrote:I have similar problems with this interface. It randomly stopps signal input or resets itself or fails alltogether. Randomly. Maybe 2 times every 3 hours of use. But I don't go as far as to disconnect and connect again. I just load a different project and load the project I'm working on again. And it comes back to life. You might consider disabling USB soft start also. Hope it helps. By the way, it never happens to me while using it, it happens while iddle. And I use and unpowered hub with a y-cable and an external USB mobile power supply.

i tried to load new project and go back to project i was worrking on but it wont let me its like the whole screen is frozen and wont let me click anything....until i unplug it and plug it back in

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Are you using any IAAs? If you are, then the screen will freeze like you describe. Just wait and it will eventually open (about two minutes). This can happen if you close your IAAs by using the home button.

Rim

spuds0828

Post by spuds0828 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:09 pm

Rim wrote:Are you using any IAAs? If you are, then the screen will freeze like you describe. Just wait and it will eventually open (about two minutes). This can happen if you close your IAAs by using the home button.

Rim
Iaas?.....it's not freezing per say its hard to explain.....this is the second hub I try and this one is worse than the first cause with this one I get nothing at all ....the interface is powered but the ins and out don't work???.....not sure now

BGR
Expert

Post by BGR » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:55 am

There are some things you can try.

First: download driver and connect 2i2 to computer and try to record for at least an hour or so. Using your favorite hub to know that you are receiving power from it.

Second: if first try is succesful, make backups of projects. And uninstall and reinstall Auria. And then try again with your favorite hub.

Third and last: reset ipad completely and reinstall only Auria first and try again.

Depending on what is succesful or not, you might need to get in contact with warranty service persons.

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:55 am

I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 with Auria on an iPad 4 with good results. This combo worked fine on an iPad 2 as well.

Although the 8i6 has its own power supply and, thus, does not require a powered USB hub, there are times when I want to connect a (non-AC-powered) USB keyboard to play a synth app on the iPad while using the 8i6...then the hub is required.

The above being said, I've been doing quite well with a higher powered (4 amp) hub, which I found on Other World Computing's site:

7 Port USB 2.0 Hub with 4.0 Amp Power Supply
$25.99
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/USB2HB7PRO/

I suggest giving this unit a try...hope this helps.......

P.S. I'm still on iOS 6.1.3 - so I can't help determine whether the issue might be caused by iOS 7.x (though I would assume that it is not).

Mike E. Dee

BGR
Expert

Post by BGR » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:23 am

I tried my interface using MultitrackDAW from HarmonicDog. And the same random resets happened.
But what impressed me the most is that the same random resets happened while using Audioshare.
So our problems with the 2i2 might not be Auria related. It might be Audio Core or iOS7 related.
Who knows.
In any case, I have learned to accept it and wait for it to reset and do what it needs to do. It is annoying, but the results I'm getting out of it are quite nice.

BGR
Expert

Post by BGR » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:00 am

I had been using the 2i2 powered by a mobile phone charger with a Maximum of 5V, 800mA output. And a normal 2.0 pasive USB hub. With a Y cable.

I was having problems also with the 2i2 reseting randomly.

I changed the mobile phone charger to one that outputs a Maximum of 5V, 2.1A. And the reseting from the 2i2 have stopped. It has not happened after I changed power option.