Recording Levels not Being Set Before Pressing Play

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rickwaugh
Expert

Recording Levels not Being Set Before Pressing Play

Post by rickwaugh » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:11 pm

I use amplitube for electric guitar and bass.
I run it through Audiobus into Auria.
I arm the track, I press the record button.
Input levels are crazy high. Nothing I want to do in Amplitube works. I want the tone and gain I have set, but I can't seem to adjust the volume anyway.
I press the track record button in Auria, and turn down the input level. Nothing happens, no lessening in volume or track levels.
I press play in Auria, to start recording.
The volume drops to the levels I set with the input volume level.

Should this not be working when the track is armed, and the record button is set?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Recording Levels not Being Set Before Pressing Play

Post by Rim » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:09 am

I'll check this out and report back what I find.

What were your Audiobus settings in Auria's settings page?

Thanks,
Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:49 am

@Rim: I can confirm this - not with Amplitube but with several other AB apps as input.
Attachments
image.jpg
Auria Settings

Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:38 pm

Auria's "Record Level" issue is something we will take a look at, as it does seem like its only affecting the actual recording's level and doesn't affect what you see on the meters when the Transport is stopped - I believe lowering the level should lower the meter readings at the same time.

Regarding Amplitube (or any other input app), you should be able to use Amplitube's "Vol" knob - found on the REC screen - to raise/lower the signal level being sent to Auria. I just tried this with a few different setups via Audiobus and everything worked as normal, any change in settings directly affected signal levels in Auria.

It's always a good idea to check your signal level in the source app to make sure you're not clipping before it gets to Auria, because by then its already too late - lowering Auria's Record Level will only make it quieter noise. I would aim for your average signal level in Amplitube to be right around 0 VU, on its REC page, as that should equal -18 dBFS in Auria.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:54 am

Ah, thanks for the reply. I'll check out the volume on Amplitube recorder. I didn't even think to look there, as I assumed it was not part of the chain. Tone was excellent as it was, so not too much distortion on it. Or at least, the distortion that was there was what I wanted. :D