My Pans have gone all wrong!

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Jamie Mallender
Expert

My Pans have gone all wrong!

Post by Jamie Mallender » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:45 am

mixing a 5 piece band - drums, bass, guitar, keys - lead Vox + 4 b-Vox. Got about 25 tracks in use. Was nearing the end of mixing and suddenly all the pans are wrong. I figured maybe I was pushing the memory a bit so I've frozen everything, no FX active, switched off and restarted and the stereo picture is still all wrong. The toms for instance, instead of panning left to right - are stuck in the right speaker, as is the bass which is panned dead centre. Any thoughts please people?

martygras
Expert

Re: My Pans have gone all wrong!

Post by martygras » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:28 pm

How recently had you created a snapshot?
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Jamie Mallender
Expert

Post by Jamie Mallender » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:53 pm

I created a snapshot and then exported 2 tracks I accidentally recorded in stereo - to mono. Deleted the stereo, inported the mono and so I guess, half an hour later having made quite a few favourable changes - it's all gone weird.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:38 am

Auria automatically makes snapshots every 10 minutes, so it's likely there's a snapshot in the list you can use. I suggest backing up the entire project using iFunBox or Dropbox, then try loading some of the snapshots to see if you can get back to a place where the pans are good.

Rim

Jamie Mallender
Expert

Post by Jamie Mallender » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:40 am

Hi Rim. I do realise that, and that's my next step. But, I'm trying to learn Auria and exactly what its limitations are due to the platform it is on (in my case iPad Air) so that I know what situations I can actually use it for professionally. So, figuring that the pans must have gone mental due to The amount of RAM The project is using, I took steps to reduce that usage and then see if the pans corrected. They didn't, although it's clear that I'm using a lot less memory. For instance - I imported the mono bass and panned it dead centre, but it is in my left ear. The pan control then effectively works as a volume. The further I turn it to the right, the quieter it gets.

I'll look for a snapshot where at least all of the drum kit is correct as a next step. Then maybe I'll mix the 13 drum tracks down to a stereo wav, start a clean project and import all the instruments afresh. I may also do a stereo mix down of the harmony vocals as I wish to add a few more but at this point I'm afraid that if I add anything new it will corrupt the pans again.

What I'd really like to know is exactly why it happens so that I can work around it in future.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:31 am

Good luck @Jamie Mallender
I'm interested to find out what happened as well. I keep thinking it must have been an event of some sort that caused it.

Maybe keep the 2 auto-snap shots from just before and just after the change.

You might also want to turn off "project auto clean-up" in settings so it doesn't delete any tracks not used by a certain snapshot... if it hasn't already.

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:08 pm

Can't hurt to check your Output Matrix settings for those specific tracks....

HTH,

Mike

Jamie Mallender
Expert

Post by Jamie Mallender » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:18 pm

Thanks for your help chaps. I have another project to complete on my desktop before I can come back to this one but I'll get to it as soon as I can and let you know. My output matrix is just Master 1 and 2 lit up, nothing else.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:15 pm

Honestly, I can't think of anything that would cause your pans to change for no reason...

Rim

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:50 am

External control surface issues?

Jamie Mallender
Expert

Post by Jamie Mallender » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:28 am

Nothing external in use. No automation in use.

I'm rebuilding the track to get back to where I was. I've learnt a lot along the way so it's not all that bad. Will let you know what happens, just been busy with gigs last few days.

Jamie Mallender
Expert

Post by Jamie Mallender » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:40 pm

I've completed rebuilding the track now and everything is currently working as it should. I've got the mix almost finished but I feel that I need a few extra B.Vox and possibly a couple of harmonies during the guitar solo - perhaps a few twiddles here and there.

I currently have 19 mono tracks in use and 3 Stereo. If I could get about 5 more out of it without incident - that would be awesome!

Jamie Mallender
Expert

Post by Jamie Mallender » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:28 pm

Little update chaps.

I've recorded the harmony parts I wanted and I now have 23 mono tracks and 3 stereo tracks. Everything is working brilliantly and sounds great. All I've done different, is not adding any sends to FX in the channel strips. I've only get reverb on the auxiliaries. I just need to re-record a couple of flat vocals I've noticed and then I'll be ready to mix - I just hope this bug never returns.

Jamie Mallender
Expert

Post by Jamie Mallender » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:41 pm

I now have a completed project. The rebuild has gone smoothly. Mix sounding great. No errors. Pans all fine. Ready to mix down. Happy Auria user!