CPU spiking & freezing on mixdown

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

softpunch

CPU spiking & freezing on mixdown

Post by softpunch » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:09 am

I’m still on iPadOS 13.7, with a 2016 9.7” iPad Pro.
I have 50+ gb free in disk space.
I’m currently working on a project with just 7 audio tracks and almost zero plugins/FX.
As soon as I open Auria, it’s telling me I’m using 30-35% CPU.
When I try to do a mixdown, it starts extremely slow and eventually freezes before finishing.
If I close Auria and open a different app, like Beatmaker 3, with nothing going on, its CPU meter says 0-1%, as expected.

Tried restarting, power cycling, disabling all plugins/FX... Nothing works.
In fact, sometimes I see the CPU meter *increase* as I disable plugins.
(To be clear, I’m talking about a couple instances of ProQ 3, nothing power hungry.)
I’ve been using Auria frequently for about six months, and this is new.

Help??
I’m totally stuck here.

UPDATE: If I literally remove every insert (not just deactivate, actually empty the slot) and restart Auria, the CPU goes down to single digits and mixdowns function normally. But as soon as I add any insert, including Pro Q 3 with no active bands, CPU usage jumps 3-10%. And once it jumps up, it doesn’t go back down, even if I deactivate inserts.

softpunch

Re: CPU spiking & freezing on mixdown

Post by softpunch » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:31 pm

Aaaaaaand it appears to have fixed itself.

After rebuilding my session several times, it is now behaving as expected. No erratic CPU spikes, no trouble with mixdown. I don't know what fixed it; the problem was ongoing for a few days, and now it's just... normal again.

I would blame my iPad, except Cubasis was working fine the whole time with the same session & plugins. No idea what went wrong with Auria or why it resolved.