Can't get 1818vsl to work

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

gsv

Can't get 1818vsl to work

Post by gsv » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:29 am

kk so I have an 1818vsl which I purchased to go with the Auria App which I downloaded (version 1.05) yesterday for my iPad2 (running 6.0.1) expecting to be able to plug and play... I grabbed a powered 4 port usb (Belkin... yuck but it was cheap) and plugged it all in... big red light on USB Sync :(

Reading on the net and in these forums I thought that perhaps the Belkin was a problem so returned it and purchased a 7 port one from Dick Smith today... same result... (both worked fine when attached to my Win7 laptop btw)

Reset the iPad thinking that maybe a software issue that could be fixed by a reset but no luck there...

Tested the CCK connection with a different usb input and that was fine...

Deleted the app (Auria) and reinstalled it... still no change... the thing just does not want to play...

Definitely NOT buying a lottery ticket today :(

Any suggestions please...

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Can't get 1818vsl to work

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:33 am

What problem are you having? Does the USB indicator in Auria not light up? Try plugging and unplugging the hub power supply, the 1818 power and the CCK. Sometimes you need to do that on an iPad in order for the device to be recognized.

Also, in most cases you need a powered USB hub. Some users have gotten away with not using a powered hub, but in our tests you need to have the powered kind (the USB hub itself needs a power supply). Are you using an actual Apple CCK?

Rim

gsv

Post by gsv » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:30 am

Hey Rim tks for the reply...

Both hubs I tried were powered...

The problem is that the USB Sync light remains red and the app remains in INT mode... never shifts to USB mode... hence nothing records from the 1818 at all... it simply keeps picking up sound from the iPad mic...

And yes I have unplugged and replugged everything many times... when I restart the AB the usbsync light goes a nice blue for about 4 secs then turns red when it fails to sync... unplugging and replugging the powere from the hub or the cck don't create any change at all

Cheers
Greg

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:23 pm

So I dunno if this will help, but the habit that I've gotten into since it seems to work the best is- with nothing connected, power on the PreSonus and the hub, start Auria (fresh start) and THEN connect the CCK. I had that happen with the iPad 3 before. And I assume you're using an actual Apple CCK and not a cheap off brand. Other than that, try swapping USB cables.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:59 pm

Not sure what to suggest, as others have no issues with the 1818 and Auria. I think you might have a defective component (hub, 1818 or CCK)

Rim

gsv

Post by gsv » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:03 am

and the verdict was cables... good call drock... replaced both of the usb cables... the one that came with the 1818 and the one that came with the hub and bingo... thank you both for your help... now to get my hands dirty :)

...and can close this thread now ty :)