Focusrite 6i6 with ipad and mackie mixer

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Hrveylee
Expert

Focusrite 6i6 with ipad and mackie mixer

Post by Hrveylee » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:53 pm

My studio monitors are connected to a mackie mixer. I currently connect my laptop to a first generation apogee duet, the duet through the mixer. I can plug my guitar into the mixer and record, play against tracks while listening through my monitors. I'd like to use Auria, on my ipad, connect my ipad to a focusrite 6i6, then Connect the 6i6 to my mixer. Will I be a able to plug my guitar into my mixer, and listen through my monitors? I'd like to create a home ipad studio environment.

Chris M
Expert

Re: Focusrite 6i6 with ipad and mackie mixer

Post by Chris M » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:12 pm

Yes--If you prefer plugging your guitar into the mixer, then all you need to do is send audio from one of the outputs on your mixer to an input on the 6i6. Then, you'll be able to record that signal into Auria on your iPad.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs

Hrveylee
Expert

Post by Hrveylee » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks Chris. I'll let you know how it all works out. Since I'm new to all of this, I plan to take some of the courses offered by Lynda.

Hrveylee
Expert

Post by Hrveylee » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:58 am

Chris, my first try was a disaster:(. I have a duet that gets its feeds from my mixer and is attached to my notebook; it all works seamlessly. I can record, I can play through my monitors, through logic, with reverb and its great. I replaced the duet with the focusrite 6i6, connected my Ipad to the focusrite, replacing my notebook, and started using Auria. I got sound through the monitors, but could not record or add reverb. I'm afraid I'm lost.

Chris M
Expert

Post by Chris M » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Hello,

Sorry you're having trouble. Let's start from the end result you hope to achieve: your guitar with added FX coming from your monitors.

If your monitors are connected to an output pair on the Mackie mixer, then you'll need to connect the outputs of the 6i6 to a line-in pair on the Mackie. I'm not sure what model you have, but on most Mackie mixers it would a vertical pair and be labeled something like 'Line in 7-8'. Connect line outputs 1 and 2 on the back of the 6i6 to one of these line-in pairs on the Mackie.

Next, plug the 6i6 into your iPad using your camera connection kit. In Auria, you should see the 'INT' next to the transport change to 'USB'. You should be able to playback music from Auria through the 6i6, into the mixer, and out of your monitors. If you're not having success here, you may want to use your computer to check the routing that you have set-up on the 6i6 with your Scarlett Mix software. Make sure DAW 1 and DAW 2 are being sent to line outputs 1 and 2.

Now open the Input Matrix from the Menu and you should see six inputs. Plug your guitar into one of the inputs on the front of the 6i6 and you should see its signal appear on the corresponding channel on the Input Matrix. Record enable the track that your guitar is plugged into. You should be able to hear your guitar through the monitors. If you can't, open the Settings page from the Menu. Go to 'Record' and find 'Record Monitor' and make sure its on. If you want to record, turn Record mode on in the transport, press Play, and you'll be recording.

To add reverb, press the FX button at the top of the channel. Click on one of the four plugin slots on the right side and select ClassicVerb. This should bring up a plugin that you can use to add reverb to the guitar sound.

Please let me know if you're still having trouble--if you are, try and give me an idea of where in the process things aren't working, so that I can give you the best suggestions as to how you can fix it.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs

Hrveylee
Expert

Post by Hrveylee » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Chris, regarding the monitors, I left them connected to the mixer; they worked perfect with my current configuration. What I did was re-connect the mic and the guitar input: I connected the mic to the Front input 1 and the guitar to the front input 2. Ostensibly, just replaced the duet with the ficusrite And the computer with the ipad. Wouldn't this work?

Hrveylee
Expert

Post by Hrveylee » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:02 pm

Chris, the monitors are connected to mackie XLR main left and right.

Chris M
Expert

Post by Chris M » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:44 am

This sounds like a routing issue with the 6i6. Connect the 6i6 to your computer, open Scarlett MixControl (this is the Focusrite software that is used to change the internal settings of the 6i6--download it from their website if you do not have it).

With the device connected, change the routing to 'DAW Tracking'. You should now hear audio coming from Auria, as opposed to only the clean guitar signal. You should be able to record and play it back, as well as add FX to the signal.

If you're still having trouble, please email me at support[at]auria[dot]com and we'll figure out what's going on.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs

Hrveylee
Expert

Post by Hrveylee » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:48 pm

Chris, I reset my ipad and it appears that all is well!

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:50 pm

Hi HrveyLee,

Glad to hear you got this sorted out thanks to the great help from Chris.

Please let me know if you ever need any other help with your Focusrite unit via our Support Page: http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/contact

Best regards.
Katherine Kaplan // Focusrite Technical Support

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/