Linking an analog compressor

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

G-master G
Expert

Linking an analog compressor

Post by G-master G » Sun May 04, 2014 6:20 am

Hello everyone

At the moment I am using a focusrite Scarlett 18i6. I plug my guitar or microphone into the preamps at the front and the sound goes straight into Auria.

However, what I would like to do is put an analog compressor in between the Scarlett and Auria. So that the signal chain would be:

Instrument - Scarlett pre-amp - analog compressor - Auria.

Has anyone done this? If, so could you please tell me how?

Cheers

Grant

supanorton
Expert

Re: Linking an analog compressor

Post by supanorton » Mon May 05, 2014 5:15 am

I'm not an expert, but I think your analog signal is converted to digital in the Scarlett. I would think you have to put the compressor after the vocals and before the Scarlett: analog in, digital out.

G-master G
Expert

Post by G-master G » Mon May 05, 2014 8:13 am

Thanks

That's a good point of which I hadn't thought. I am going to have to do some research.

Thanks for responding.

Matt.Focusrite

Post by Matt.Focusrite » Thu May 08, 2014 7:07 pm

Hi Grant,

Here is a guide to setting up your 18i8 to use your compressor as a hardware insert:

http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/how- ... n-tracking

Keep in mind that since the 18i8 only has two line level outputs, you will have to make a compromise of either using one of the monitor outputs for the send to the compressor or use a stereo 1/4" TRS to dual mono 1/4" TS Y cable to use one of the headphone outputs as the send to the compressor. The monitor outputs are more ideal, but this means you won't have both monitors connected while using the compressor.

One cool thing about recording this way, is that you will be able to record both the uncompressed and compressed signals, giving you the option to use the dry signal later in case you do not like the compression that was tracked, or experiment with parallel compression.