Presonus 1818vsl suspected failure

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

indratgj
Expert

Presonus 1818vsl suspected failure

Post by indratgj » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:34 pm

I've been running Auria on an iPad Air 2, using a Presonus 1818vsl interface. A couple years ago everything was working reasonably well. Now, we get ready for the second EP and all sorts of dodgy things are happening. I won't go through the full list of "interesting" stuff, but most recently, arming a track for record kills all input. In addition, I'm no longer able to get anything other then pre-recorded tracks to the headphone mix. Sound is getting to the track, the master LEDs are registering it. In the Output Matrix, Master is set to outputs 1 and 2. Still, no phones.

As I said, this is only one of several weird symptoms. It seems that when I load new projects, Auria resets the matrix in a way I didn't select, as if it's not seeing the audio interface properly.

So my question is, how much longer should I mess with this older 1818vsl, before I just buy a new audio interface? I'm considering the Focusrite 18i20. Any thoughts on this as a choice?

Lastly, for those of you with Presonus 1818vsl, is there anyway to upgrade the software, given that I'm not using the VSL portion of it. (I'm using the iPad and Auria for recording/mixing) In other words, can you just update the hardware, and might it solve the 1818 problem?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Travis
iPad Pro 12.9” Gen 5, iOS v.15,5, Auria Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Presonus HP6, DrumPerfect Pro

indratgj
Expert

Re: Presonus 1818vsl suspected failure

Post by indratgj » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:03 pm

Okay, I answered my own question on the 1818vsl firmware upgrade. Yes, you can update it without having all the VSL software installed. I installed the Universal Controller software and the first thing it did was tell me there was a firmware upgrade available. So I applied the update.

The bad news is that it did not fix the intermittent problems: inability to monitor through the headphone amp from output jacks 1 and 2; randomly losing the matrix settings, etc.

So, I gave up and ordered a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. An expensive fix, which I hope solves the problems.
iPad Pro 12.9” Gen 5, iOS v.15,5, Auria Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Presonus HP6, DrumPerfect Pro

mididrum
Expert

Re: Presonus 1818vsl suspected failure

Post by mididrum » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:31 pm

setting record ON an AURIA TRACK SWITCH presonus volume down on ALL its INPUTS
Just set (hold) Auria track record arming and SET record Volume to near maxi …REsets ALL presonus INPUTS VOLUME correctly
TO LISTEN any AURIA track to headphones: Set any auria output matrix to 7/8
routing track(s) to any AURIA (8) bus routed to 7/8 will monitor ot thru headphones
while routing (or not!) that bus to Master will let you mix it at bus fader volume (master out routed to 1/2 or to any other USB/analog OUT needed
BEST USB card midi:audio wifi controled mixer is BEHRINGER XR18 NO problem , one screen of ipad can control it by wifi (set proper wifi adress)
together while swapoing another ipad (to AURIA) screen lets you enjoy AURIA
BEHRINGER inputs have choice ANALOG or USB needing to match both ipad and mixers channels in./out to USB matching AURIA MATRIX in//out choice
PRESONUS sounds better since factory update voids its siftware mixer (PC only) while Behringer adds its mixing inserts-processors to AURIA effects
there is NO LATENCY SO XR18 might be used to route (add) its effects in<>out to Auria in real time recording, while recording USB 17/18 GETS its MIX master recorded together with original analog ins on AURIA MATRIX IN TRACKS ROUTED TO ANALOG XAIR INS
FORGET ANY OTHER BRAND USB CARD THAN XAIR 18 unless YOU WISH TO GET PROBLEMS ....