new TASCAM Model 24 arrives today! hoping for awesomeness

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

artguy

new TASCAM Model 24 arrives today! hoping for awesomeness

Post by artguy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:19 am

I ordered this in September, and it's finally on the fedex truck for delivery today. I've been looking for the perfect interface for Auria pro, and I'm hopeful this will be it. The fact it can have 22 usb channels routed back in from the iPad, should make it an awesome way to work with the software. It will record 24 tracks to SD card as well, but fingers crossed that it will play nicely with Auria. I'll drop back in and give a report once I've had it a few days, and can play around!

spaivxx

Re: new TASCAM Model 24 arrives today! hoping for awesomeness

Post by spaivxx » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:21 pm

Anxious to hear back. I sold my Zoom L-12 and got a Steinberg UR-RT4 but ended up sending it back because it had a bizarre issue. I am in the first few days of trying out and ID44 but I think I’d rather have a mixer. Considering the Model 24, Soundcraft MTK 22 and the Zoom L-20. The Tascam appears to have most of the best features of the Zoom and Soundcraft mixers. From the pics it looks much better built than the Zoom Livetrack units. Latency and converters are the only real concerns I have, as well as the whole, “it’s new and unproven” thing.
Last edited by spaivxx on Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

artguy

Post by artguy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Haven't hooked it up to the iPad yet - but I can say that so far build quality and standalone capabilities are excellent! I just recorded a couple tracks to SD card, and it is very intuitive and easy. They even added a bluetooth input which can be recorded onto two tracks. I dumped a simple stereo track I recorded on a spire studio into it this way. Easy way to get an idea in and flesh out.

The build quality is MUCH better than the ZOOM L12 (just sold mine a few weeks ago) Faders are long throw - smooth. It's about 28 pounds or so, and is a LOT bigger than I thought it would be. More than a couple feet wide,

Tomorrow I'm going to bring it over to the studio and get it hooked up to Auria pro. More later.....

spaivxx

Post by spaivxx » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:11 pm

Looking forward to hearing your further impressions once you’ve tested with Auria. I’m on the fence between this and the Soundcraft. If Sweetwater had the Tascam in stock I think I’d just get it but the fact that the Soundcraft is readily available makes waiting difficult.

artguy

Post by artguy » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:49 am

So far so good!

The recorder sees Auria and the input/output uses the 24 channels when in pc mode. The workflow is pretty straightforward. You just assign an input to a track in Auria pro, then after recording, flip the input selection switch and it comes right back to the tascam from the iPad. I haven't monkeyed around too much, but I could easily assign any fader to any track in Auria on the iPad.

I've been buying/selling interfaces/mixers for the past year or so, trying to find one that does exactly what the tascam does. I can use it with Auria pro, I can use it by itself and record to SD card, or I can drop tracks in from my little spire studio, and build them up from there.

The build quality is really great. Faders are looooong throw, and the monitoring is pretty flexible. I can run a feed to my JBL control room monitors, drive shure 1840s with the headphone out. (plenty of volume) It's heavy (which I prefer) and in my opinion designed very well. I also like the fact all of the inputs/outputs are on the top/rear of the unit. No fumbling around back especially when you are working solo! The only items on the back are the power button, power cord receptacle, and USB port.

There is a stereo input on the last 2 channels which is bluetooth. At first I had no idea what I would use it for, but it's quite handy to get my iPhone connected, play something I recorded using an audio app, and then record it onto the last 2 tracks of the tascam. In a live situation, you could use it to play background music or the like. It turns out it's a quick and easy way to get a scratch track into the box.

So overall, I'd say they did a really good job combining bits of other products (from other manufacturers) into this one. I think I'll be hanging onto this for awhile!

spaivxx

Post by spaivxx » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:26 am

That’s very encouraging news. I’ve narrowed my choices to the Tascam and the Soundcraft MTK. The stand alone functionality, Bluetooth and insets on two channels make the Tascam very appealing.

I imagine the Soundcraft’s preamps and EQ are in a different league than the Tascam though. I have a couple weeks before I have to commit, could still go either way, so I am reading anything I can find on user experiences with each unit. The Tascam being so new, there isn’t much.

spaivxx

Post by spaivxx » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:09 am

Got the call that Sweetwater got these in today. Ordered one. The stand-alone record functionality was the deciding factor. My “studio” consists of a room in my house and a garage. Being able to drag the board out to the garage or to a gig and not worry about hooking the iPad to it will be very convenient. Also, having the SD card slot for archiving will be cool.

artguy

Post by artguy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:39 pm

FYI - I ordered mine from zzounds.com and asked for a better price than the advertised $999. They gave it to me for $929 which aint bad for a brand new to the market item. I also see that they have a "blemished" one for $850. NFI, but might see someone a few bucks. Maybe sweetwater will knock a few bucks off for you?!?? Can't hurt to ask is what I always say!

spaivxx

Post by spaivxx » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:06 pm

Didn’t think to ask about a discount. Perhaps I should have, but I was under the impression that it was in demand since I had to wait for them to get it in and blah, blah.

Anyhow it arrives on Jan 2, I’ll do some test recordings/mixes then.

AuriaStudios
Expert

Post by AuriaStudios » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:55 am

Talked to the guys at Tascam and the Tascam Model 24 will work with the iPad as a 24 channel Mixer and Audio interface. I talked to a guy off camera that told me and my guy here Neal was kinda tired lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPdWHqNa1JQ&t=4s

dkhbrit
Expert

Post by dkhbrit » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:06 pm

How do you get audio back to the Tascam? I have main set to go back to 1 and 2 on the Model 24. I can hear playback but if I adjust panning etc in Auria on the recorded tracks nothing is happening on the audio back at the Tascam.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:40 am

dkhbrit wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:06 pm
How do you get audio back to the Tascam? I have main set to go back to 1 and 2 on the Model 24. I can hear playback but if I adjust panning etc in Auria on the recorded tracks nothing is happening on the audio back at the Tascam.
Don't forget to pan your two channels on your Tascam on hard left and the other channel hard right. I posted on another thread all about how to send to hardware properly in Auria. Check it out and good luck.