Extension cables - max length?

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

leem
Expert

Extension cables - max length?

Post by leem » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:19 pm

Has anyone had success with extension cables or found limitations with the max length you can have for the lightning/usb cables to the Audio interface?

I rearranged my room, and now have my audio interface in one corner, and some of the instruments are about 19 feet away from it. So if I want to use my ipad to record while playing the instrument, I need long cable(s). Apparently the USB standard has limits on max length, and lightning does also. 16 feet for usb 2.0 , 9 feet for usb 3.0, and 6 feet for lightning.

Counting the distance from the music stand to the floor, across the room, and up and behind the interface I am looking at around 25 feet of cable. They make active usb cables that go beyond 16 feet, but it looks like many of them don’t support audio .

Corey W
Expert

Re: Extension cables - max length?

Post by Corey W » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:01 am

I believe the industry standard used to be no more then 100' of a single USB cable run before there was data loss. If you are using an extension cable you would have to cut the run in half to 50'.
Someone can double check this and correct me if I am mistaken.

leem
Expert

Re: Extension cables - max length?

Post by leem » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:32 am

Update: I purchased an active USB 3.0 repeater cable and hub. So far it works, will report back after the next group recording session.

Here is the signal path:
Presonus 32R audio interface / mixer
6 foot USB B passive cable
Sabrent USB 3 hub (also have my MID-USB adapter plugged into hub)
SIIG USB 3.0 Active Repeater Cable 10-Meters
FA-STAR USB Digital Camera Adapter
Cellularize Lightning Extension Cable 2Meters
Ipad 6th gen

P.s. an anyone advise on how to do a latency test?