Type C / USB-C bummer

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Bob Amser
Expert

Type C / USB-C bummer

Post by Bob Amser » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:23 am

So, after a couple of years away from recording (life and a dying iPad 4 got in the way) I now have an iPad Pro for work and the first thing to be installed was, of course, Auria. As Ali G would say - “I is back!”

Here’s my problem. I was nicely setup with an iTrack Solo and a MIDI to lightening adaptor (iRig) but both have a lightening connection. The iPad Pro, I have discovered, does not. Thanks, Jobs, for that 😉

Anyway. Does anyone have experience if successfully solving that problem with some adaptor, or do I need to find a couple of hundred notes to replace my interface gear?

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

fde101

Re: Type C / USB-C bummer

Post by fde101 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:42 am

Based on some searching around, the general consensus is that it is not currently possible to connect a Lighting accessory to a USB-C iPad.

Steve Jobs died before they made this change. He's not the one you should be blaming.

Matthew

Re: Type C / USB-C bummer

Post by Matthew » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:36 pm

I’m way late to the party I realize, but you should have no issue using it with the usb cable and a USB C to USB A adapter. Or skip the adapter and get a USB type B to USB C cable. The USB C adapter on new iPad Pros is actually a big upgrade, you can use them with all kinds of third party adapters and devices and it supplies bus power, much better than Lightning.