Older tech question...

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mesniu
Expert

Older tech question...

Post by mesniu » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:45 pm

I originally posted this as a comment in another thread where I’m sure it will be missed. 😉

I'm trying to set up a "satellite" recording rig, more portable to handle traveling overdubs. What I'm wanting to know is whether anyone out there is still using a 4th gen iPad with an Alesis IO Dock? On the "interfaces" page it says the IO Dock II is supported but doesn't mention the "IO Dock I." Are these two things still working together? Should I hunt down a Behringer iS202 instead?

My current setup is an iPad Air 2 fed by Behringer's FCA1616 and ADA8200.

Corey W
Expert

Re: Older tech question...

Post by Corey W » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:25 am

I would put an inquiry into Alesis to see if/when they dropped support for the first gen of the dock. If memory serves me correct, the dock originally had a 30 pin connector. So, for your iPad 4 you would need a 30 pin to lightning adapter and theoretically it should work under iOS 9/10.

mesniu
Expert

Post by mesniu » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:17 am

Corey--

Thanks for the info. I'm updating my question to get into system reqs.

So... I guess I forgot that the iPad 3 was the last one with 30-pin and the 4th gens have a lightning connector. I've already purchased an iPad 4 and loaded it up. I don't like the notion of using an adapter with the dock as it affects the 'seating' of the iPad, and the iO Dock II's are in rare supply these days.

All that being said, what are the limitations of running Auria on an iPad 3?

Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:04 pm

The hardware in the iPad 3 is quite outdated and your experience with Auria will be "less than ideal".

mesniu
Expert

Post by mesniu » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:08 pm

Heh. Wish me luck! I was able to install it, restore the Pro upgrade, and restore all the plugins. I'm about to transfer an old project into it and see what happens.

Note-- I've already done the same install/restore on a 4th gen which I'm planning to use. I bought the 3rd gen also just to have a 'tablet' around. Since I purchased a dock before remembering that the 4 had a lightning connection, I'm giving the 3 a 'test' just to see if it's worth it for catching single tracks here & there.

Thanks for your help/info!