“Cannot Use Accessory”....help

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

IzzyElectric

“Cannot Use Accessory”....help

Post by IzzyElectric » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:52 am

Hi, just plugged my Behringer UMC404HD interface in to iPad Pro, with the “lighting to USB camera adapter”, powered on the interface with power pack and received the message “Cannot Use accessory. UMC404HD 192k- this accessory requires too much power”

I’m a bit of a newbie... why is it saying this when I am powerering the interface with its own powerpack?

Please don’t tell me I need to buy the USB 3 adapter... what is the difference?

Will a powered USB hub into the adapter I have work?

Help!,!

IzzyElectric

Re: “Cannot Use Accessory”....help

Post by IzzyElectric » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:11 am

By the way my iPad Pro has the lightning connector, not USB c

Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:41 am

Apple shouldn't be selling the original lightning camera adapters anymore. They are notorious for not working and causing problems with newer iPads and anything running iOS 10+.
You can try a powered hub, but the easiest solution would be a USB3 CCK with the extra lightning port plugged in for power. You get a major bonus of simultaneously charging your iPad with this method as well.

IzzyElectric

Post by IzzyElectric » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:38 am

Thanks for that Corey, wil have to get one... more $ ....

Danny_Kil

Post by Danny_Kil » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:24 am

The USB3 CCK introduced about 1/2 second of audio latency back when tried to get it to work for use in a live venue setup.
Auria and my MOTU 624 interface were set for 64 sample buffer.

Midi in / out worked fine with no added latency.
Had to revert back to the old USB CCK.
Anyone else see this behavior?

IzzyElectric

Post by IzzyElectric » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:01 pm

Oh that is a great concern on forking out more money.... any one else have the latency issues?

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:18 pm

Danny_Kil wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:24 am
The USB3 CCK introduced about 1/2 second of audio latency back when tried to get it to work for use in a live venue setup.
Auria and my MOTU 624 interface were set for 64 sample buffer.

Midi in / out worked fine with no added latency.
Had to revert back to the old USB CCK.
Anyone else see this behavior?
That is very odd. I don't experience any additional latency. Are you sure it was a legit Apple CCK? I had an aftermarket one that behaved poorly but with my audio interfaces, the latency with the CCK is no different than listening through wired headphones or the speakers. 1/2 second seems so huge that it is hard to imagine there wasn't something else going on or a faulty unit.

Danny_Kil

Post by Danny_Kil » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:30 pm

Yeah, I was really disappointed in the added latency with the Apple USB3 CCK.
I spent several evenings trying different buffer settings in Auria and matching the the buffer settings in the Motu interfaces control software.
Also tried supplying power to it with the Lightning power input, and with several powered usb hubs.
Always introduced about a 1/2 second of latency to any audio passing through it.
The old USB CCK worked fine, so I just figured there was a hardwired additional safety buffer inside the USB3 CCK housing.

I brought this up two years ago, but no one responded so assumed there just wasn’t anyone else using the USB3 CCK with Auria for low latency work.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15278&p=53582#p53582

IzzyElectric

Post by IzzyElectric » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:43 am

I just picked up a powered hub that when used with the cck I have didn’t come up with the error in the store.

I’ll let you know how I go for latency over the next few days...

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:01 am

Danny_Kil wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:30 pm
Yeah, I was really disappointed in the added latency with the Apple USB3 CCK.
I spent several evenings trying different buffer settings in Auria and matching the the buffer settings in the Motu interfaces control software.
Also tried supplying power to it with the Lightning power input, and with several powered usb hubs.
Always introduced about a 1/2 second of latency to any audio passing through it.
The old USB CCK worked fine, so I just figured there was a hardwired additional safety buffer inside the USB3 CCK housing.

I brought this up two years ago, but no one responded so assumed there just wasn’t anyone else using the USB3 CCK with Auria for low latency work.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15278&p=53582#p53582
The usb3 cck does not generally introduce this kind of latency (or any additional latency at all). I haven't encountered others experiencing latency like that. It has been around for something like three years. So, I think there was something else going on. Lots of people use that cck without any issues. The Audiobus forum is a pretty active forum and I've never seen any reports of people experiencing this and pretty much anyone with a USB audio interface is using one.

JRSIV
Expert

Post by JRSIV » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:53 am

IzzyElectric wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:43 am
I just picked up a powered hub that when used with the cck I have didn’t come up with the error in the store.

I’ll let you know how I go for latency over the next few days...
My main & favorite interface to use with iOS/Auria Pro is my Tascam US-2x2. I recently bought some new cymbals for my drums and want to record my drumkit for the first time in years. The Tascam interfaces two inputs means just kick & snare or a stereo track can be recorded.

I'm interested in this Behringer Interface UMC404HD so I can put up to four mics on the drums. @IzzyElectric it sounds like you got the Behringer to work on your iPad, has it been cool to use since you've had it? I use Auria Pro as my main DAW but I have Cubasis as well.

Would appreciate the help brother...
JRSIV's Studio V uses Auria Pro v2.33 on an iPad Air 5 (2022) 256GB w/iPadOS 16.3
Other gear includes: Tascam US-2x2 interface, Behringer UMC404HD interface, TC Electronics SOLO, Sony MDR-7506 headphones