Tech info USB, Lightning, USB-C

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Wavelength

Tech info USB, Lightning, USB-C

Post by Wavelength » Mon May 25, 2020 10:45 am

All,

Hi, I design computer audio hardware, audio, pro audio and guitar amps. I thought that a little info here might help some people out.

With the iPad there are basically Lightning and USB-C models. Most of the original MFI interfaces used custom connectors to Lightning. If you have a new iPad Pro with USB-C then contact the company and see if there is a new cable for it. Recently some interfaces have used micro or mini to Lightning cables. You can probably get one of these from almost anywhere now.

CCK: There are 2 types of the USB CCK and the USB 3 CCK. In our testing the 3 kills the standard one plus provides charging at the same time.

USB-C: Apple and other companies have adapters that will both charge and provide a standard A type USB3 port. All USB3 ports actually have a super speed port and a high/full speed port. So everything is supported there. USB-C ports have HS/FS USB dedicated then two flexible ports. These ports can be video or USB super speed ports (on Macs and PC’s these flexible can also be Thunderbolt ports). I use a Apple USB-C Multiport adapter with an iPad Pro USB-C. It allows me to power the iPad and my interface with more and cleaner power. USB-C does not require MFI unless the interface uses some protocols that are still proprietary unde the MFI specification.

Cables: USB cables come in lengths to 5M, but really for audio use the shorter the better because USB Class compliant protocols are not error correcting and therefore can have an effect on your sound quality. For Full Speed interfaces up to 3M can be used, HS/SS no more than 2M is a good idea. Cable quality can also effect performance. Just like your analog cables, believe me when I say digital cables are just as important.

If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask.
Thanks,
Gordon

Wavelength Audio, Ltd.

acaonweb
Expert

Re: Tech info USB, Lightning, USB-C

Post by acaonweb » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:10 pm

Old post maybe you can help me after 2 years
I have an iPad Pro with lighting, Scarlett Focusrite 18i8 1st gen an CCK 3 to connect USB-A from the audio interface to iPad Pro and charge it in the same time.
Now I’m turning to iPad Pro 11 (M1 chip) that has USB-C
how connect audio interface andcharge the iPad like before?
I didn’t find a CCK on apple store
Thanx
iPad Air Pro 11 iOS 16.3 WiFi 512 Giga, Scarlett Focusrite 18i8
http://mustek.bandcamp.com