Motu M2 & the USB Interface Indicator

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Danny_Kil

Motu M2 & the USB Interface Indicator

Post by Danny_Kil » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:51 pm

My Motu M2 seem to be working with Auria with using just a usb c cable to my iPad Pro 12.9 3rd gen.
I'm not using any kind of powered / unnpowered hub - the M2 is getting all its power directly from the iPad.
Playback works as expected, and I'm even getting sufficient phantom power to my condenser mic for recording.

However, the USB Interface Indicator in Auria still shows "INT" when the M2 is plugged in and in use.
I previously used a Motu 624 interface (now sold) with my iPad Pro, and the indicator would show "USB".

Any performance issues or other concerns with Auria still showing "INT" even when using an external audio interface rather than the expected “USB”?
Attachments
3048A974-7C4B-461B-A90E-21B835D346EA.jpeg
3048A974-7C4B-461B-A90E-21B835D346EA.jpeg (12.24 KiB) Viewed 12656 times

Danny_Kil

Re: Motu M2 & the USB Interface Indicator

Post by Danny_Kil » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:35 pm

FWiW, another Auria user confirmed that "INT" is diplayed in Auria's Menu Bar USB Interface Indicator when the Motu M2 is connected.
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/4055 ... tor#latest

This is even while using the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MUF8 ... rt-adapter
I believe this adapter doesn't actually send power directly to a connected USB interface though - just power to the ipad which in turn may make the iPad better able to supply power to the interface.
I plan on getting this adapter and some kind of powered usc-c hub just to ensure that the M2 is getting adequate current.
If this somehow changes what the USB Interface Indicator displays in Auria, I'll report back what I find.

Only reason why I'm concerned at all is I thought the Interface Indicator's purpose was to show where the digital audio was getting its clock signal from.
Either "INT"ernally from the iPad itself, or externally from the "USB" interface.
I'd think that an external audio interface would work best if it was the clocking master - but really have no idea if it makes a difference with an iPad, or even if I'm just misunderstanding the purpose of Auria's USB Interface Indicator.

Thus far I've not heard any obvious popping or clicking that I would attribute to a digital clocking problem.

Corey W
Expert

Re: Motu M2 & the USB Interface Indicator

Post by Corey W » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:57 pm

This is a bug that is currently being worked on for the next Auria update...