The Working / Not working audio interfaces thread

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: The Working / Not working audio interfaces thread

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:12 am

The issue the other user had was a specific iPad-only mic that's meant to have it's inputs switched by certain apps that support that model.

We did make some changes that affect the record level control. I think it'll fix the issue you're having.

Rim

steelmanet

Post by steelmanet » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:51 pm

I was just deciding to buy the Behringer UCA202 when I re-found my old Behringer UCG102 (guitar interface) in a drawer. Without much hope, I plugged its USB connector to the camera connection adapter and immediately the power led lit on (no powered hub is required) and the indicator in the Auria software turned from INT to USB.
I've tried to record mono and stereo signals with success. Finally I can say that this 2 input interface does not require powered hub and works very well. Hope this info can make happy some UCG102 owner. :)

steelmanet

ZOOM R16 R24 digital recorder

Post by steelmanet » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:29 am

Can I hope for a compatibility with the ZOOM R16 and R24 digital recorder in the next updates?

Pikmin

Post by Pikmin » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:08 am

Hey, is Tascam us-122 mkii compatible with auria?

bendy

Post by bendy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:22 am

Working - fender mustang floor

Plugged the fender mustang floor

http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/mu ... No=2301060

Directly into the iPad camera connection kit and got stereo input working straight way. Great quality for guitarists.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:12 am

Has anyone tried the MOTU pre4 with an ipad? The spec says it ships with standard core audio drivers (which it doesn't need if its core audio which is strange).

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/4pre
Last edited by mtingle on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:04 pm

The new Focusrite iTrack Solo for iPad looks like a great option for the solo artist, who doesn't need multiple inputs. Here's a video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjPttm1Z ... ata_player

offthesky
Expert

Post by offthesky » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:15 pm

rfk wrote:M Audio Fast Track Pro monitoring issue

Hi Rim
The iOS version is 5.1.1 (9B206) iPad 3.

I have tested a little further with the same D Link DUB-H4 hub, and it works fine with a Zoom H4 and is able to send monitor signal back to the H4 and the usb indicator i Auria shows USB.
I'm still a little confused about the error messages that comes when the hub is connected, because it seems not to be the whole truth?
I have seen that you recomment a Belkin hub in an other thread so maybe this one is the soloution:
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage. ... _Id=158910

Thanks for help
@rfk - i've been considering purchase of a zoom h4 as i've read on other forums that it's 100% self powered in usb mode(and therefore 100% mobile) - can you attest to this as true or do you still need a powered usb hub to make it work with the ipad (such is the case with my zoom h2, which seems to work okay with auria.. with a powered hub)? otherwise, i assume it works well for you with auria?

any input anyone has on using a zoom h4 with auria would be great! thanks in advance...

noise.offthesky.com

oprema

Post by oprema » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:57 pm

Could anyone recommend a suitable interface with ADAT inputs that would allow for use of Steinberg MR816's preamps & AD convertors w/ Auria. I hope to find something inexpensive as the only thing I'd be using this device for is to pass the digital signal from MR816 via its ADAT outputs to ipad w/Auria -- something capable of 24-bit 48Khz. w/ 4 (or more) ADAT channels

Thanks.

PostGuy

Post by PostGuy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:21 am

offthesky wrote:
- i've been considering purchase of a zoom h4 as i've read on other forums that it's 100% self powered in usb mode(and therefore 100% mobile) - can you attest to this as true or do you still need a powered usb hub to make it work with the ipad (such is the case with my zoom h2, which seems to work okay with auria.. with a powered hub)? otherwise, i assume it works well for you with auria?

any input anyone has on using a zoom h4 with auria would be great! thanks in advance...

I've tested both the H4 (first generation, grey plastic model) and the H4n (newer model) with Auria:

Both needed an USB hub in order to avoid error messages in the iPad, but I used an old Tucano non-powered mini-hub and it worked, so you remain 100% mobile.

So weird you need a powered hub with the H2... Are you sure?

EspiStudio

Post by EspiStudio » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:12 am

I have Line6 mobile in and it works with guitar but line input records only mono, input matrix say it is stereo, i think.
I make new project (sample rate 44.100) and then i add new stereo track, input matrix show two lights on left side (mic and number two)
I push record, then if i use audio copy and paste it back audio copy says recording is mono.

So can Auria record real stereo tracks with Line6 mobile in?
I test different programs and some of them can record stereo tracks, so mobile in adapter is not broken.

Peval55

Post by Peval55 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:26 am

I'm new in this forum, so please excuse me if I'm not completely updated.
First of all thanks for the great amount of information that are written into this topic.

I'm planning to buy Auria very soon, but first I need to buy the proper multi-channel input Audio Interface.
I was thinking to buy Tascam US-800 but now, reading here, I'm in doubt. It is not clear to me what does it mean: "All mic inputs are always on, and full volume, when monitoring through the unit" and "In our testing, we found it easy to clip the unit's outputs, and so we recommend allowing for additional headroom when mixing".
If someone can explain it better I will appreciate it.

In alternative I think to buy Presonus 1818VSL but also here I have a doubt regading the Monitoring on ch 1&2 instead of on headphones. What's the side effect of this?

Another alternative could be the Behringer Firepower FCA1616. Does it work with Auria? With/Without powered USB HUB

What do you suggest to buy in order to achieve 6/8 input/output fully compatible with Auria?

Last question is about the powered USB HUB shown in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKJeolOrlQ0. Where to buy it? What the name/brand of that HUB?

Sorry for asking so many questions but I really need to spend money right at first shot.
Many thanks to all.

Peval55

Post by Peval55 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:04 am

Is anybody in there?

I read again and again this entire thread in order to better understanding and to find the right solution for my needs.

This evening I will buy Auria first. This is in any case the first step. So, I will have some times to learn Auria.
In the mean time, I'm asking here some advices:

Scenarios:

1) Scarlet 18i6 + Behringer Ultragain ADA8000 mic. pre. In this way, I will have up to 16 Ch. even if the first 8 on the 18i6 don't have a gain phisical knob.
This solution will face the Headphone monitoring problem already described in this 3D.

2) Presonus 1818VSL. The cost doesn't permit to spend more (for the time being) to add some other Mic input. Also there (not clear to me) there seems problems with Monitoring, if I well undestood.

3) Tascam US-800 + Behringer Ultragain ADA8000 mic. pre. But it is not clear to me what is the side effect of the problems mentioned in this thread about this unit.

4) What else?

Any suggestions?
Please read also my former topic up here.
Many thanks in advance.

Chris M
Expert

Post by Chris M » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:55 am

Hello,

With the Scarlet 18i6 and the Behringer Ultragain, you will still only have 10 pre amps--there would be 6 more line inputs on the Scarlet, but you would need to be sending line-level signals.

With the PresSonus 1818VSL and the Behringer Ultragain, you would have 16 pre amps ready to go.

The Tascam US-800 is discontinued, so it may be hard to find. The monitoring issue is that there is no way to control how much of each input signal is fed to the monitoring outputs, rather they are all on at full volume.

The Hub/Card Reader that you mention from that video is not officially supported by Auria--it takes the place of the Camera Connection Kit, which is the only device we officially support. The combo hub/30-pin to USB devices are third party devices, commonly found on eBay.

In terms of monitoring, like on the PreSonus, using outputs 1-2 just requires that you use an external headphone amp or a simple adapter that will take two 1/4 inch outputs and combine them into a stereo output for your headphone jack.

We haven't tested the Firepower FCA1616, so unless someone reported it in this forum as working, we can't be sure of its compatibility.

I hope that helps!

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs

Peval55

Post by Peval55 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:39 am

Hi Chris,
thanks a lot.
I bought Auria yesterday evening and WOW! Very good product. I like it very much. Intuitive and graphically speacking: it's amazing. Congratulation!!

I got the points. It seems that the 18i6 + Behringer Ultragain will fit better to my needs.

There still the issue of the Missing pot for input gain on the 18i6, but I will read again how to deal with it.

I need to ask you another small question, since, other than the need for Multi Input, I think I will have the need for a 2 in 2 out very very portable.
What's the best choice for this 2x2?
Or, have you tested the Focusrite iTrack SOLO? Does it work with Auria?

Many thanks.