Rim can you contact presonus and ask about possible fix.

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Foster
Expert

Rim can you contact presonus and ask about possible fix.

Post by Foster » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:54 pm

I know you said that the headphones are hardwired to channels 7/8. Which I know as well. But when their software runs they have all channels feeding 7/8 including 1/2. I now the iPad only sends audio to channels 1/2.

Do you think that with a firmware update inside the Vsl that the channels 1/2 could be sent to channels 7/8 the same way it is when using a computer and the Vsl software? Kind of like a default routing when it's powered up, or possibly user selectable within the software. Kind of how the focusrite works where you turn it off and it remembers the settings.

Anyway you could ask them? Pretty please with sugar on top and a cherry.

Im not sure if you already had this discussion with the but if it was able to be accomplished it would make my world, and everyone who is using auria with the 1818, a whole lot easier. Not to mention that it would then be by far the best interface to use with auria. And they could advertise that as well.

It would also be great if maybe you could change some kind of signal inside the iPad to change it to 7/8 from 1/2. But that is probably hardware based. It would also help if you could have the iPad headphone jack and the presonus both have a signal like you originally told me.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Rim can you contact presonus and ask about possible fix.

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:12 pm

Foster,

Can you please describe in greater detail what you're asking for? I'm not sure I follow exactly. I want to fully understand it before I ask them for anything.

Thanks,
Rim

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:30 pm

The presonus headphone jack get audio from channels 7/8. The iPad only send audio to 1/2.

When you use the presonus software with the 1818 and the computer you can send channels 1/2 to channels 7/8. Or any channels you want 1/2, 3/4, 5/6. They actually have it defaulted so that all channels go to the 7/8 channels.

However, I am guessing that is software based, so when you turn it off it no longer gets those channels.

Is there a way through firmware to make it so that it does get channels 1/2? even after turned off.

I would really love to be able to use the headphone jack with auria. I rally don't want to hookup a headphone amp. K.I.S.S

I am pretty sure it's probably not possible because it's doing the routing through the software in the computer. But it would be great if somehow this could work.

In short 1818 headphone return audio is from channels 7/8, iPad sends are channels 1/2. Can firmware inside 1818 send internally channels 1/2 to return 7/8 for headphone monitoring use with auria.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:58 pm

Got it, thanks.

From what I understand, the mixer part of the presonus control panel only works when you have that piece of software running. As soon as you close it, the 1818 becomes a simple 18 in 18 out interface with no routing or mixing. Would be nice if it did.

They did confirm to me that the headphone out is a permanent connection to 7 & 8 (soldered to the board).

Rim

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:10 pm

i figured this was the case but i like to be the king of wishfull thinking.

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:59 pm

Rim wrote:Got it, thanks.

From what I understand, the mixer part of the presonus control panel only works when you have that piece of software running. As soon as you close it, the 1818 becomes a simple 18 in 18 out interface with no routing or mixing. Would be nice if it did.

They did confirm to me that the headphone out is a permanent connection to 7 & 8 (soldered to the board).

Rim

I have an Exacto knife and a soldering gun...

Gary

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:32 pm

Gary I really wish that was possible. If anyone has tried doing something like Gary's idea please let me know. I have heard of people doing this to other products but never something like the 1818.

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:38 pm

It was only a little tongue in cheek, but...

I just wish I knew if ios6 was going to solve this problem. This issue is a show stopper for me. If I knew ios6 fixed it I'd go ahead and buy the presonus.

As it is now I am leaning to the Phonic but that apparently has an issue with ADAT expansion. So I don't know where to turn. Sigh.

Gary