The Working / Not working audio interfaces thread

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Re: Charge on iPAD using usb interfaces

Post by Dubhausdisco » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:44 pm

Breeze wrote:Also important to consider is the use of the CCK (Camera Connection Kit). The CCK is designed to provide power externally to a device from the iPad's own power, so there's simply no way to charge an iPad while the CCK is in use. Using powered devices or a powered hub palliaties the problem so that any power the IPad has to provide is minimal (like powering the CCK Itself). But none of that external power makes it to the iPad through the CCK.

So if you use the CCK, it's a good idea to fully charge your iPad before any extended session. The iPad 2 wil, have a slight advantage here because of its lower power consumption, and dimming the display to a low but workable level for all iPads is probably a good idea.

Apple should come up with a proper solution that could perform both functions (USB + Charging). And try to give it a more streamlined body, less prone to disconnection.
I know! I thought I was being sneaky and ordered a cable jive dock extension where you can plug in a microusb cable, but to no avail.
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

rrrredrvr

Re: The Working / Not working audio interfaces thread

Post by rrrredrvr » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Has anyone tried the Alesis I/O dock for iPad yet?

rrrredrvr

Post by rrrredrvr » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:31 pm

Never mind...I see Alesis I/O dock is on the list of WORKing devices.

slaws

Post by slaws » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:44 pm

bendy wrote:Yup the Behringer uca202 works great
Is that powered with a hub?

Dobrogwt

Re: Ipad2 with Alesis Iodock, how compatible with Auria?

Post by Dobrogwt » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:55 pm

Thanks very much for the replies and support, which in my opinion is more valuable than the product itself! Looking forward to purchasing Auria very soon and making great music with it.

bendy

Post by bendy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:16 am

rrrredrvr wrote:Has anyone tried the Alesis I/O dock for iPad yet?
Yup works great 2 channels

Conwayt

Re: 1818vsl audio out question

Post by Conwayt » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:51 am

Foster

I an using the Presonus 1818vsl and I think I know what you are asking about, it sound like a similar scenario to my own set up (i.e. turning off the speakers when recording, etc). I'm hoping to set up a session tonight where I will be doing some vocals and monitoring via headphones, I'll drop a note on here of how it goes.

I upgraded from an EMU interface to the 1818 just last week and all I can say is the quality and flexibility in terms of routing within my main DAW (Sonar X1) of the unit is amazing in comparison, I'm still learning Auria but it looks just as good. I would throughly recommend the 1818

Regards

Trevor

CodePoet

Post by CodePoet » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:46 am

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - not working. Reports that it draws too much power from the iPad to work.

bendy

Post by bendy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:51 am

slaws wrote:
bendy wrote:Yup the Behringer uca202 works great
Is that powered with a hub?
It works best powered with a hub.

But it does work powered by the iPad only. No external power needed

Oddly I had to plug it into the camera connection kit before plugging that into the iPad.

If i did it the other way round it failed.

But this fits in my guitar case so will be great for travelling

Foster
Expert

Re: 1818vsl audio out question

Post by Foster » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:05 am

Conwayt anything you can tell me after using the 1818 with auria would be great. The only issue i see so far is that the headphone out on the 1818 is hardwired to channels 7/8 so you cannot use it with auria. Kind of a bummer. I am pretty familiar with the 1818 and how it functions with a computer so I am just concerned with how it works with auria. And also how auria works with presonus studio one software. But the software issue is not as important at this time. Any advice, information, review you have after using it would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

Penguino

Post by Penguino » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:37 am

Some info i got from focusrite about the Scarlett 2i2, i asked if it could be self powered.

"Thanks for the email, It will not be possible to ever bus power an interface from the iPad, regardless of any firmware updates.
This is because the Ipad does not deliver enough power over the USB bus. You would have to use a powered usb hub in order to use the 2i2.
Let me know if you have any further questions

Best Regards, --
Will Kent // Focusrite Technical Support

Focusrite Audio Engineering Limited
Windsor House, Turnpike Road, High Wycombe HP12 3FX, United Kingdom
"

Seems the cck is really low low low on power.

So back to where i started.
I'm searching for self powered (and/or ipad powered) sound interfaces that can work with ipad/auria.

- I know apogee jam for guitar (good one)

I would like to know if there is anything available to plug in a microphone (with 48V phantom power). Someone know ?
(i search about stuff like the shure x2u, but needs a powered usb hub too...)

Last possibility would be a powered usb hub running on batteries. Do anyone knows some good enough for sound interfaces ?

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:00 am

Sounds like you got your answer but are choosing to ignore it. All usb interfaces require too much power for the ipad so a powered hub will be necessary. Focusrite and presonus are supposedly fixing firmware so that you won't need an extra powered hub but they still need to be plugged in and self powered. But as of now a powered usb hub is necessary.

If you just want a mic plugged in directly then look into something like a Samson meteor mic. It is one of the few condenser mics that can be powered from the ipad through the cck. But it is not an interface. You are limited to only using the meteor itself. Another option is to get a blue icicle. With that you can use any microphone you want. BUT, here is an issue: you will still need a powered hub, but with a mic that does not require Phantom power you don't actually need to power the hub. The ipad will do it for you. I am referring to hubs that plug directly into the 30 pin dock. I use one i got on ebay for about $15. It has 3 usb ports and memory card slots. I use my beta 58 with it no problem. And when it want to use one of my studio mics that needs Phantom power I just power it up.

Cool thing about the icicle is that it is a usb to xlr interface. Anything you can plug into xlr works. I have plugged my guitars into it (with proper cable), many different mics, and I have actually plugged it right into my mixing boards xlr out. It is however only a mono source. But as an audio interface it works great.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:12 am

From what we've been able to gather, the Blue Icicle is not compatible with the iPad (it's not class compliant). Maybe they'll update it.

There's only one interface that fits the bill (battery powered), but it's a tad expensive:

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mixpred/

One of our beta testers used this. I think there was an issue using it without a hub when at 96k, but the other samplerates were fine. Not sure if they've addressed that limitation yet.

Rim

OLIVIER

Another sound on my audio track

Post by OLIVIER » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:54 am

I've recorded a first guitar track on track one. When I recorded another side, I can hear the track one guitar on my track two side ! It's the same problem on GarageBand.

I use an iRig guitar. Anybody can help me ? Many tanx ! :)

OLIVIER

About "iPadMOBILE IN"

Post by OLIVIER » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:22 am

Hi, does Line 6 iPadMOBILE IN work with Auria ? Cheers. Olivier