Auria reviewed on Sonic Touch

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

distraub
Expert

Auria reviewed on Sonic Touch

Post by distraub » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:39 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q63No6h8 ... r_embedded

Overall a good review, but did give it some grief over some of the workflow, and the lag on the edit view.

-distraub

ChrisG
Expert

Re: Auria reviewed on Sonic Touch

Post by ChrisG » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:29 am

I give that review 2 out of 5 banans. It was more a very brief overlook of Auria then a review. And the guy didn't really know how to use some of the functions like duplicate multiple regions etc. (still a good show tho!)

I agree about the lag in the editing view. The lag when scrolling vertically really needs to be fixed. And generally a bit smoother pinch/zoom. It does get to you the lag and it defeats the purpose of using a multitouch screen for this kind of work. Wave labs definatly needs to fix it somehow (without blaming the hardware).

distraub
Expert

Post by distraub » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:19 am

I did want to clarify when I said good review, I meant that they liked Auria, not so much that it was a high quality in depth review :)
Well at least one of them liked it more than the other that is...

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:55 am

ChrisG wrote:
I agree about the lag in the editing view. The lag when scrolling vertically really needs to be fixed. And generally a bit smoother pinch/zoom. It does get to you the lag and it defeats the purpose of using a multitouch screen for this kind of work. Wave labs definatly needs to fix it somehow (without blaming the hardware).
I'm with you here. Other DAWs, like Meteor, even if not as professional as Auria now, seem to work like a charm when editing samples. So it's possible...

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:51 pm

There's definitely some room for optimization, and we're going to constantly improve Auria's editing. But the iPad is not very good at drawing lines, and waveforms require lots of them. This is compounded by the fact that Auria needs a lot of RAM due to it's hight track count. Other iPad DAWs get around this by drawing simplified waveforms, or not displaying more than eight tracks at once. If you zoom in on Auria, so only eight tracks are showing, the drawing speed is very smooth.

We've got ideas on how to optimize the drawing, so you'll definitely see some improvements in the future.

Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:03 pm

Rim wrote:There's definitely some room for optimization, and we're going to constantly improve Auria's editing. But the iPad is not very good at drawing lines, and waveforms require lots of them. This is compounded by the fact that Auria needs a lot of RAM due to it's hight track count. Other iPad DAWs get around this by drawing simplified waveforms, or not displaying more than eight tracks at once. If you zoom in on Auria, so only eight tracks are showing, the drawing speed is very smooth.

We've got ideas on how to optimize the drawing, so you'll definitely see some improvements in the future.

Rim
But couldn't there be an option, like in the settings, where you can decide for yourself which display quality you would like to use for the moment? That would improve the workflow, and thus the joy of it, immensely :)

Don't get me wrong, i think Auria is great, and i'm really happy about all the improvements your working on constantly, but the editing could be crucial to the overall success of it. And we all want that to be as good as it gets :)

DrApostropheX
Expert

Post by DrApostropheX » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:13 pm

That's not a bad idea: give users more control over the display options. Meteor does this (you can turn off waveforms altogether if you want). Actually, if you want an interesting read, check out the Meteor online manual sometime -- it goes into some pretty good detail about the different ways that app optimizes performance on the iPad... even if some of those optimizations really limit usability (like turning off the waveforms... but it is nice once in a while to have that option)!

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:20 pm

I think, for the most part, i don't even need this kind of high resolution of the waveforms. Arrangements, FXs and basic editing including automation could be done with a simplified display quality as well. And for the more subtle editing you could then maybe change either to another resolution or, as MeteoR does it, to a special edit mode.

Sorry for mentioning MeteoR so much. But why not learn from others in order to improve :) Mercedes didn't invent it all by themselves, i guess :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:36 pm

It's hard to compare other apps to Auria, since it's pushing the envelope further than anyone else been able to do on an iPad ;) We've spent the better part of a year optimizing the graphics and will continue to do so, so you'll see improvements as Auria matures. Having some display options is a great idea.

Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:01 pm

Rim wrote:It's hard to compare other apps to Auria, since it's pushing the envelope further than anyone else been able to do on an iPad ;) We've spent the better part of a year optimizing the graphics and will continue to do so, so you'll see improvements as Auria matures. Having some display options is a great idea.

Rim
This and Midi are the two things that, at the moment prevent Auria from becoming THE iPad DAW, i would say. Although it's getting there, most likely :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:33 pm

We're working on it ;)

Rim