Popping/hiss noises in Auria recordings?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

coloradobenedic

Popping/hiss noises in Auria recordings?

Post by coloradobenedic » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:10 pm

Hey all! Great forums, great app, glad to officially be a part of the discussion...

I'm having a small issue though. I'm using an iPad 3 with a Lexicon Omega interface, with just a basic SM57 setup, XLR in. I've done a few recordings now and can't seem to get rid of these popping/hissing noises that bounce in and out of the recordings. It almost sounds like the mic is getting bopped, as a reference point, but there seems to be more "hiss" or white-ish noise than I'd expect too, and it all comes and goes. Sometimes it almost sounds like an old vinyl is playing, which is kinda cool, but, not ideal for all recordings 8)

I can hear the noises through my monitors while recording when they're there too, and also on exported WAVs in Dropbox previews, etc FWIW, and I have also been able to get a couple takes with very little noise. Weird.. Any idea if this could be a problem with my interface, or is it something in Auria?

Other than that I love this app, adds a whole new dimension to the iPad!

offthesky
Expert

Re: Popping/hiss noises in Auria recordings?

Post by offthesky » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:47 pm

i know one of my audio interfaces causes popping but its only when my ipad's battery is between 100% & 90%. to remedy this i turn the ipads screen brightness all the way up and the pops go away completely.

btw, curios if you have a link to the hiss/popping sound you are talking about?

noise.offthesky.com

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:19 am

It sounds to me like either a defective interface, or some sort of setting issue on the interface. Noise is not normally something an iPad (or an app) can generate, so it's originating in your interface most likely. A good test would be to plug the interface into a Pc or Mac (without changing anything else), and see if the noise continues.

Rim

coloradobenedic

Post by coloradobenedic » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:50 pm

Thanks guys. I do have a couple of examples I could post but it might take me a day or two, I'm running around like crazy right now. RIM, thanks for the suggestion, I will try it on a laptop and see what happens!

I'll check back in ASAP, thanks again!