Live multitrack recording possibilities

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Puchifilou

Live multitrack recording possibilities

Post by Puchifilou » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:18 pm

I would like to use Auria as a multitrack recorder during live gigs (16 tracks maximum in my case), and was wondering what was really possible with this app. I'm actually running into trouble when I record more than 10 tracks at a time.

Here is what I have for testing at the moment:
- 32 GB ipad 1 (first generation). Reinstalled with latest iOS version for this purpose and only Auria running at a time.
- Focusrite Scarlett 18i6
- Latest version of Auria (1.02)

I use the following procedure for making tests:
Close every app.
Restart ipad
launch Auria
connect the Scarlett to the CCK
Setup the project
Arm the tracks and try record for 1hr30 / 2hrs

Actually, I have an issue with disk speed on the first generation ipad! When I record more than 10 tracks, I eventually get the "disk overload, use a wider buffer size" error message, which of course stops the recording process. Still, I setup the project with a buffer size of 4096 (biggest size available). I suppose the limitation comes from the ipad (the oldest one), but I read (I think) that the first generation ipad could handle 16 tracks at a time when recording?? So is there something I am doing wrong? Would it be more trustable if I bought an ipad 2? (Would prefer use my actual ipad ^^')

Want to add that I have nothing connected to my inputs when testing (except 2 mics on input 1 & 2), but Auria should be treating the signals as if something was coming in right?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Live multitrack recording possibilities

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:53 pm

On an iPad 1, it's not uncommon to run into issues like this. Disk overload errors on an iPad 1 can happen because the disk system is much slower than an iPad 2 or 3 (iPad 3 has the fastest disk speed). An iPad 2 or 3 should have no trouble at all recording for extended periods, even at 96K and 18 inputs at once.

Rim

jadmorffier
Expert

Post by jadmorffier » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:33 am

I'm getting disk overload errors on my iPad 2 with only two tracks. One is a backing track (mp3) which I 'froze' and the other is recording from an Apogee MiC. I bumped the record latency up to full (4096) but I still can't get through singing a 3min track before it stops recording due to this error. I have no other apps running in the background either. Any ideas?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:12 am

It's rare for an iPad 2 or 3 to have disk overload issues. Are you sure it's not a CPU overload message?

If it is a disk overload message, check if you have Aux Delay Compensation turned on. This setting will consume more disk time, so try turning it off in the settings.

Rim

jadmorffier
Expert

Post by jadmorffier » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:08 am

Hi Rim,

The error says, "Disk Overload. Please use a higher record buffer size.". Aux Delay Compensation has always been off.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:22 am

If you're getting a Disk overload on an iPad 2 or 3, I recommend rebooting the iPad, and possibly turning off iCloud, or other iPad services. It's possible that a disk intensive process was running in the background, like a defragmentation process, or something similar.

What sample rate was your project at the time?

Rim

jadmorffier
Expert

Post by jadmorffier » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:37 am

I did a reboot but didn't turn off iCloud. Would switching to airplane mode stop iCloud and other processors?

I've tried all sample rates. I couldn't detect any real difference other than the error popping up at random times.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:36 am

In theory, putting your iPad in airplane mode should stop any iCloud activity. But it's still possible that there's an iOS process like a defrag happening, which is impossible to stop. But this is a rare occurrence, and should not take too long to complete.

This is all theory, as in my hundreds of hours testing on the iPad2/3 I've never had a disk overload, even playing back 48 tracks at once.

Does this happen on all projects? Maybe there's a hardware issue with your flash ram?

Rim

jadmorffier
Expert

Post by jadmorffier » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:57 pm

Would how much free space I have left on my iPad have any effect perhaps? I just noticed I only had 904mb of 64gb left. I will delete some old apps and see if it makes any difference.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:32 am

It's possible. Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Rim

jadmorffier
Expert

Post by jadmorffier » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:07 am

Rim,

After thorough testing recording my voice to several songs I happy to say no longer receive the disk error. In order to do this I made at least 10% free space on my 64gb iPad 2. That might be more than enough free space but I remember reading this suggestion on an iPhone message board a while back to help keep iOS running smooth and reliable.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:54 am

Good to know, thanks. It would make sense, as iOS is probably shuffling around memory when it gets that low.

Rim

sampletime

Post by sampletime » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi Jad....
I have a follow up question for you....
How did you hook up the band with your 18i6...?

I'm interested, because there are only two inputs where you can adjust gain. So.... How are you micing up drums and amps etc. even more difficult are the vocals, unless you are pulling it all from a mixing desk somehow.

I'm very keen to try some live recording and would love to find a nice elegant way of hooking up without a whole ton of outboard equipment.

My first thought would be to use a decent desk stacked with direct outs fed to Auria....

Anyway, thanks in advance for any tips....

Regards
Paul

jadmorffier
Expert

Post by jadmorffier » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:52 pm

Hi Paul,

I think you have the wrong person. I don't even know what an 18i6 is lol.

sampletime

Post by sampletime » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:55 pm

Whoops, should have followed the thread more closely.... Sorry, lol.

Ok same question goes to Puchifilou.... :)