iPad 4

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

newbreednet
Expert

iPad 4

Post by newbreednet » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:23 pm

Thoughts on how this might affect the future of Auria?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: iPad 4

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:57 pm

Honestly, we have no idea, as Apple doesn't tell us anything ;) We're ordering the new models on Friday and will report back after we test. We don't expect any issues at all, but it's unclear how the new USB to lightning connectors will work until we try them.

Rim

Marts500
Expert

Post by Marts500 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:57 pm

Good Ol' Apple....32 weeks after i bought the new ipad3 they launch another.Are they takin' the P@*s.....?

newbreednet
Expert

Post by newbreednet » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:33 pm

Hmm, as an iPad 3 owner myself its a little disconcerting, and yet - they're talking 2x the CPU in the iPad 4. Not been able to find RAM specs yet. But I guess I was most interested in what might be realistic with newer hardware, such as live monitoring of Convolution Reverb. Rim said Retina might come with an iPad hardware update but personally I'd rather have more audio power than graphical...

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:37 pm

Not sure why there would be an issue, can someone explain if perhaps there was some announcements that suggest why an iPad 4 would be 'bad' for Auria or for anything else?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:47 pm

they're talking 2x the CPU in the iPad 4
I believe the iPad Mini has the same processor as the iPad 2, i.e. the dual-core A5, not the dual-core A6X in the iPad 3. The Mini also does not have a Retina display but the same resolution as the iPad 2 (just at a higher pixel density).

I don't reckon it has 1GB RAM but the same as the iPad 2.

So the iPad 3 hasn't been superseded - yet! ;)

newbreednet
Expert

Post by newbreednet » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:17 pm

Forgive my bad phrasing - this was meant to be an excitement thread!! :wink:

Firstly I don't refer to the "iPad Mini" (although Auria on that might be a giggle!)
No, I refer to what Apple are calling the iPad "4th Generation".

For comparison, a small table of (9.7") iPad CPU and RAM:
Original iPad: Single core A4 + 256mb RAM
iPad 2: Dual core A5 + 512mb RAM
iPad (3rd Generation): Dual core A5X + 1Gb RAM

Apple HAVE superseded the iPad 3 - they are calling it iPad (4th Generation).
From apple.com: "The new A6X chip inside iPad is up to twice as fast as the previous- generation A5X"

I don't expect any "issues" - I was only speculating (with excitement!) at the possibilities!!

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:05 pm

i just hope they don't"forget"my biggest wish for a future update (besides midi and instruments) now that we have a faster ipad coming :wink:

http://d4.drumagog.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9602

i recently bought two ipad 2 and i have no plans to replace them sometime soon cause anything else on it runs just fine.Or fine enough to me at least.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:30 pm

@newbreednet:

Doh! You're quite right. I can't keep up with Apple. It's disappointing that the iPad 3 has been discontinued and superseded after such a short time, especially by something twice as fast. I feel like a sucker for jumping on the iPad bandwagon when I did :( I'll not be rushing to upgrade.

newbreednet
Expert

Post by newbreednet » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:27 am

No way man! Don't feel bad, as Steve Jobs said himself, If you worry about technology being superseded then you'd never buy anything!! The iPad you and I own today is the same as it was three days ago... it still runs Auria tremendously well and with clever use of plugs and freezing is still absolutely functional! 2x2Ghz (perhaps) might prove incredible, though... in which case the worst that can happen is selling the old one and stumping up for the upgrade.... but none of this ought to affect our WORK with the software, which is why we all do it in the first place huh?!

robdean
Expert

Post by robdean » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:22 am

It's natural to want minute-by-minute updates to cutting-edge technical innovation right up to the instant you buy a product followed by a total lockdown moratorium on any development for at least 12 months thereafter. This issue has caused me repeated misery since that first awful occasion: the day the clock-doubled 386 processor was unveiled. I guess that there are greater problems to face in the third world, but I wonder if they know that even for us folks it isn't all an easy ride...
Latest iOS - iPad Air 2019 256Gb WiFi - Alesis iO4

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:56 pm

I think all of us here would have wanted a larger iPad if anything...
For some reason instead of trailblazing, they want to compete with products they have already conquered!
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:09 pm

Washboy wrote:@newbreednet:

Doh! You're quite right. I can't keep up with Apple. It's disappointing that the iPad 3 has been discontinued and superseded after such a short time, especially by something twice as fast. I feel like a sucker for jumping on the iPad bandwagon when I did :( I'll not be rushing to upgrade.
Has it been confirmed that this is the new exclusive size for the iPad?
If so, bummer... The good news is that there are 100,000,000 of them in circulation, which people may dump off cheap to get this new ridiculously sized "tablet"!
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:52 pm

Has it been confirmed that this is the new exclusive size for the iPad?
Just to clarify things after my original misunderstanding: the 7.9" iPad "Mini" is not a new exclusive size for iPad. It's an additional form-factor to the range. The 9.7" iPad 3 (3rd generation) has been discontinued and superseded by an enhanced model, the iPad 4th generation.

@newbreednet, @robdean:
Thanks for putting things into perspective :)

BBQ Boogie

Post by BBQ Boogie » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:51 pm

Looking forward to your review, Rim!

~BBQ

Rim wrote:Honestly, we have no idea, as Apple doesn't tell us anything ;) We're ordering the new models on Friday and will report back after we test. We don't expect any issues at all, but it's unclear how the new USB to lightning connectors will work until we try them.

Rim
More BBQ! More Boogie!