Live multitrack recording possibilities

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Puchifilou

Re: Live multitrack recording possibilities

Post by Puchifilou » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:24 am

Hello sampletime,

Sorry, but I can't test anything with my current dying ipad 1. I haven't bought a new one yet.

As you said, you have to use a mixer with the focusrite. For Multi Track Recording in live situations with the 18i6, simply connect the 8 line inputs of the focusrite to 8 direct outputs / inserts of the FOH soundboard. Also, plug 2 mics to the mic inputs of the focusrite for the ambiance and there you go.

sampletime

Post by sampletime » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:59 am

I guess that's where I was thinking this might end up. Seems to be the obvious solution.my concern is that of setting the gain. There's no real opportunity to play with gain from an insert hook up I think, and I'm guessing the levels might not be right.
Our desk doesn't have direct outs sadly.
Still, I suppose that the real test is to try it out.
Basically, we just want an easy method for getting semi reasonable captures from a gig.
If we wanted a real decent recording we would go into the studio.

I like the idea of setting up a couple of mics though, especially as not all our rig goes through the desk.

If I have any luck I'll share the news.....
Thanks again
Paul

Puchifilou

Post by Puchifilou » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:20 am

Sampletime,

It is the job of the FOH engineer to set the gains correctly, so there should not be any problems. You don't have to take care of that task.
Also, you can use the inserts (if they're free of course) as direct outs. But there is a little trick to take care of when plugging the jack.
Using this technique is quite easy! Just plug your cables, check that everything is properly connected and entering in auria correctly. Arm the tracks, hit record and there you go. Of course it won't be the best quality ever, but it will be more than enough I think.

Good luck.
Philippe.