Maximum recording time with Auria / IPAD 64Gb

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mauriceaudio

Maximum recording time with Auria / IPAD 64Gb

Post by mauriceaudio » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:39 pm

Hello ,

What would be the maximum recording time in AURIA with I PAD 64Gb :

2 tracks of Apogee DUET at 24BIT / 88.2Khz ?

2 tracks of Apogee DUET at 16BIT / 44.1Khz ?

Is there a limit within Auria? or just Hard drive limitation?

thanks

Mauriceaudio

Erik dP
Expert

Re: Maximum recording time with Auria / IPAD 64Gb

Post by Erik dP » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:47 am

...Did you actually get the Apogee Duet to work with Ipad? As far as I know that shouldn't work (though that may have been changed).

(The Apogee One works with a powered USB hub and the CC-kit. And Garage Band for input selection.)
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

mandodon
Expert

Post by mandodon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:16 am

Rim answered this in another thread.

"A quick rule of thumb is "10MB per stereo minute". This is for a 24/44.1 sample rate. If your iPad has 64GB (that's 64000MB), in theory, you have 6400 minutes, or 106.7 hours for stereo. If your project is 8 tracks, divide that by 4, etc. Of course, you probably don't have 64GB free if you have a 64GB iPad. You can check the amount of free space you have by going to the iPad settings."

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:06 pm

This may just have been a one off ,but last week I recorded me and my mate having a practice ( we do an acoustic set in pubs)

I had 5 inputs 2 on each of the guitars and 1 on the vocals

Recorded at 96khz. 256mb setting, using a presonus 1818 unit
iPad 4 64gb. At least 45gb free
Did a quick test worked fine , so then started recording and just let it run , the edit window turned red like its does and all that
Anyway two hrs later stopped the recording , The processing recording window came up for about a second then disappeared ,
No recording , I was gutted :|
God knows what happened I'm hoping its a one off as want to record the band I'm in soon , I would suggest doing long dummy test if you can before just to make sure , & also make sure there are good signals going into the unit you use even for the dummy test as I think it makes a difference instead of just enabling so many tracks with nothing in the inputs and pressing record

:lol: :shock: 8)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Wow, that's really unusual. Did it record fine the next time you tried it?

Rim

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:44 pm

Yep , well tried a quick one straight after the error one, it worked fine but it were just a quick test
I'm hoping it were some sort of error on my part or just a one off 8) , I will try a long recording again at some point
:D

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:57 pm

If it happens again, please try to remember if you did anything unusual, like pressing rec again instead of stop to stop the recording, or another transport control (or double-tap, etc).

Thanks,
Rim

WalterH

Post by WalterH » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:14 pm

I have also just tried a long recording test. I too have a 64 gig iPad 4 and did a long recording a few days ago. I just let it run for just over 111 minutes. No sound clip was visible in the track when I was finished. I thought that it hadn't worked. The next day I tried it again with the same session. This time, I recorded for just over 46 minutes and it worked no problem. Just now I hooked my iPad up to my desktop computer and from within iTunes noticed that this session was over 5.1 Gb! I thought this was not possible with only a 46 minute file (24/96), so I downloaded the session file to my computer and right clicked on it and chose "show package contents". This opened the session (on Mac) and I saw that there were 2 files in it not one. The original file was present but it was not in the track that it was recorded. I attempted to use the import audio file feature and when I opened the session folder, it was indeed there so I selected it and the track that I wanted it placed. It displayed the "Importing audio" box for a while (I thought that the app had crashed) but then the box disappeared and no file was present in the track. There must be some file limit that is at work here. The file that was originally recorded was approx. 3.65 Gb in size. Any ideas? I would like to use the iPad to record concerts for the local youth orchestra and concerts can run over two hours but not all at once.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:04 am

There's a time limit in Auria, but it's just over 13 hours, so I don't think that's the issue here. After Auria finishes recording, it will put up a message with a progress bar that says "Processing Recorded Tracks". For an 111 minute recording, this box will stay up there for a few minutes. Did you see this box? The fact that you have the actual file present tells me something happened while it was processing tracks, or it was interrupted during this process.

Rim

WalterH

Post by WalterH » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:25 pm

Rim wrote:There's a time limit in Auria, but it's just over 13 hours, so I don't think that's the issue here. After Auria finishes recording, it will put up a message with a progress bar that says "Processing Recorded Tracks". For an 111 minute recording, this box will stay up there for a few minutes. Did you see this box? The fact that you have the actual file present tells me something happened while it was processing tracks, or it was interrupted during this process.

Rim
The "Processing Recorded Tracks" message did appear, but not for several minutes, maybe 30 seconds. It seems to work, it just does not display a region that is that long. I have been able to do sessions that last that long but only if you stop recording several times and let it update the region. If the next region is too long, it won't be displayed. It is obviously a problem after the recording is made. Is it possibly a problem when computing the wave forms? I have had the same problem trying to import files that are long (over 2 Gb). It seems like there is a size limit that is affecting things.

Walter

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks, I'll look into this to see if I can reproduce the issue you're seeing.

Rim

CelloFlo

Post by CelloFlo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:36 am

Hi,
I have exactly the same "problem" with long live recordings(2-3 hours). (Ipad 3, 32 gb; RME Babyface and both AURIA 1.07 and 1.08, one stereo track, 44.1kHz)
Via Itunes, I fortunately could find the recorded WAF file in the specific folder, so concerts were recorded!
via aurias audio import, I can see the wav file, its lenght is e.g. "-100:-34" but I can't import it to a project...
(When "imported" , no waveforms are there, but ipads harddisc space is filled up with this..)

Flo

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:53 am

I've got this on my list to fix, thanks for the info.

Rim

Guitar4Him

Post by Guitar4Him » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:59 pm

If you're recording and a notification occurs (like notifying you that a GMail message has been received) would it interrupt the recording process?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:05 pm

No, notifications shouldn't affect the recording, as long as you don't exit Auria and re-enter. But I suggest turning notification like that off, to allow Auria to have the maximum CPU and disk power available to it.

By the way, I just fixed the issue of long recordings not importing correctly. This will appear in 1.10.

Rim