Question regarding Focusrite 8i6

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

fusionarts
Expert

Question regarding Focusrite 8i6

Post by fusionarts » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:23 pm

I just bought one, and downloaded the IPad mapping from there website.

My question when would you use the 'iPad(8i6)-DAW Tracking', vs. 'iPad(8i6)-Zero Latency Tracking' file?

Thank you for your help in advance...
"In cordibus nostris Iesus in aeternum vivat"
“L i v e J e s u s i n o u r h e a r t s, f o r e v e r”
-----------------------------------------------------------
iPad Pro - 128GB - iOS 9.3 - Auria Pro

RobB
Expert

Re: Question regarding Focusrite 8i6

Post by RobB » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:14 pm

I have one of these (couldn't believe my luck having bought it before I'd even heard of Auria).
As far as I can tell the two mappings are just variations in routing. Because the 8i6 doesn't have a direct monitor control on the front, as many do, the zero latency mapping just routes the input directly to the output as well as the DAW. So you get to hear the input before it goes to the DAW, hence zero latency. The other mapping doesn't so you only hear your input after going through the DAW and back out again, hence there's latency.
Hope that helps.
PS don't forget to upgrade the firmware so you don't need to use a powered hub.

Now, if focusrite would just create a little app to control the 8i6 from the iPad.......
Rob
iPad Air / 128 | iOS 7.1 | Apogee Duet | Auria 1.14 | Cubasis 1.7.2
Learning to play drums

fusionarts
Expert

Post by fusionarts » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:20 pm

Rob thank for the info. Could you help me solve one other issue I'm having? I'm only getting audio out of one side of my head phones, any ideas?

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:44 pm

Sorry, can't think what that could be except some sort of hardware issue. Do you hear stereo when playing from another app?
iPad Air / 128 | iOS 7.1 | Apogee Duet | Auria 1.14 | Cubasis 1.7.2
Learning to play drums

will
Expert

Post by will » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:03 am

fusionarts wrote:Could you help me solve one other issue I'm having? I'm only getting audio out of one side of my head phones, any ideas?
Have you looked at it in the mixer window on your computer (scarlett mix or something?) (This is from memory though)
I would check in scarlett mix window, playing a stereo file on your computer form itunes or something, much easier to see whats going on........
Play something back on your computer and look at your level indicators and routing - make sure that they didn't get moved around at some point. A nice visual reference....make sure the output is L+R.

1.Listen back on headphones from computer - does it do the same thing?

2. Look at your output matrix in Auria, with the focusrite plugged into the ipad - also check something from itunes - or anything not auria - on the ipad - does it do the same thing?

3. without being condescending or patronising, is the audio your are lisenting to a mono signal being monitored and played back on - say - the left channel only (hard panned Left in auria)?

4.Finally - can you put a stereo signal into the focusrite, and monitor it back without it being plugged into anything but the power? on headphones - does it do the same thing?

If the answer to 4 is "yes, it is still only one channel on headphones", then perhaps reset the focusrite, and / or reinstall the firmware update.

At least this lot should isolate what is happening. :D (but definitley have a look in scarlet mix!)

Willee

fusionarts
Expert

Post by fusionarts » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:09 am

will wrote:
fusionarts wrote:Could you help me solve one other issue I'm having? I'm only getting audio out of one side of my head phones, any ideas?
Have you looked at it in the mixer window on your computer (scarlett mix or something?) (This is from memory though)
I would check in scarlett mix window, playing a stereo file on your computer form itunes or something, much easier to see whats going on........
Play something back on your computer and look at your level indicators and routing - make sure that they didn't get moved around at some point. A nice visual reference....make sure the output is L+R.

1.Listen back on headphones from computer - does it do the same thing?

2. Look at your output matrix in Auria, with the focusrite plugged into the ipad - also check something from itunes - or anything not auria - on the ipad - does it do the same thing?

3. without being condescending or patronising, is the audio your are lisenting to a mono signal being monitored and played back on - say - the left channel only (hard panned Left in auria)?

4.Finally - can you put a stereo signal into the focusrite, and monitor it back without it being plugged into anything but the power? on headphones - does it do the same thing?

If the answer to 4 is "yes, it is still only one channel on headphones", then perhaps reset the focusrite, and / or reinstall the firmware update.

At least this lot should isolate what is happening. :D (but definitley have a look in scarlet mix!)

Willee
Thank you for such a detailed response. I will try each suggestion as soon as I get home from work.

will
Expert

Post by will » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:34 am

No problem, Let the us know how you get on...

This forum has helped me out heaps.
I hope it turns out to be something trivial or unexpected as opposed to a hardware issue. It's often easy to forget things like "try another cable" or "put petrol in it" etc.

Will
Last edited by will on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

will
Expert

Post by will » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:45 am

RobB wrote:
Now, if focusrite would just create a little app to control the 8i6 from the iPad.......
Rob
Yes, I am hoping for something like that for the Babyface. Apogee have pretty much set a president for that now.
Focusrite were extremely fast to give people a standalone update / option for iPads etc. probably the first (?), followed by RME. It wouldn't suprise me if focusrite do, they seem to be a good, responsive and pro-active company.

Will.

fusionarts
Expert

Post by fusionarts » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:43 am

will wrote:No problem, Let the us know how you get on...

This forum has helped me out heaps.
I hope it turns out to be something trivial or unexpected as opposed to a hardware issue. It's often easy to forget things like "try another cable" or "put petrol in it" etc.

Will
It turns out that it was my headphone's (Sony MDR-7506) 1/4 inch, screw-on adapter causing the problem.

Now I'm running into another issue with the 8i6 that I'm hoping you all might be able to advise me on. When I use the MixControl software to set up routing, and use Save To Hardware, it works fine when I connect it to my IPad, but once I unplug the 8i6 from it's power source, and then plug it back into the IPad, it reverts back to the original configuration. Any Ideas?

will
Expert

Post by will » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:53 pm

Good news on the headphones.

As far as the unit not storing the routing, that sounds like a focusrite question. I had my 8i6 for a limited time, but don't remember ever having to reroute it once i set it to zero latency tracking. But i didn't use it enough to really check everything
The unit should be able to save to hardware. And for some reason I doubt your unit is malfunctioning.

Try a reinstall of firmware and ping the question to focusrite?
Will.

fusionarts
Expert

Post by fusionarts » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:25 pm

will wrote:Good news on the headphones.

As far as the unit not storing the routing, that sounds like a focusrite question. I had my 8i6 for a limited time, but don't remember ever having to reroute it once i set it to zero latency tracking. But i didn't use it enough to really check everything
The unit should be able to save to hardware. And for some reason I doubt your unit is malfunctioning.

Try a reinstall of firmware and ping the question to focusrite?
Will.
Thanks Will, I will :D

meks

Post by meks » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:55 am

Hi all,

I have exactly the same issue with my iPad and Focusrite 8i6: when I unplug it from the power source and plug it back and connect iPad no more sounds go thru the headphones.

I have contacted Focusrite, they have been very quick and nice on other issues, but I still haven't received a reply on this. Did anybody found a solution?

Thanks to all, and congratulation for this really nice forum!

Michele