My 2 cents.....

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

warfaanax
Expert

My 2 cents.....

Post by warfaanax » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:39 pm

I bought his app with great hopes and now I don't even wanna use it. I will try to list some of my thoughts about this app so developers can fix it or improve it. I have ipad 4 32gb running ios 6.1

1. Latency: when using audiobus with jamup it makes it impossible to record. So much latency. Cubasis with audiobus and jamup has no latency. So this is Auria's fault

2. Crashes: I cant stand to see this installation window everytime i use it with audiobus. You have to wait installing over and over again.

3. Count in: Count in with metronome is useless. Metronome goes out of sync if u use count in.

4. Metronome: Just to be able to use and activate metronome every time you have to go through the menu. So much hassle. Its a metronome and people who record things into this DAW mostly use metronome. Why is this torture just to activate or change a tempo or beat? Cant you just put a button with a dropdown menu on mixing screen. Settings is not where metronome should be!!!!!

5. Menus: to perform easy tasks such as copy paste or adjusting metronome or Activating metronome are such a pain. When u add a new track you have to go and choose audibus and channels over and over again. These functions should be put somewhere easy to access!!!

Overall I am not satisfied with this app at all. It doesn't even let me record guitar because of its latency. I cant even use metronome with count it.

This app is great and thats why I bought it but seems like there are so many problems. I sometimes wish appstore had a 15min refund policy like android. Being someone with a limited budget, after paying this amount of money to an app + audiobus and other audiobus compatible apps I expect it to work, if not flawlessly but just work...

I hope developers will consider these problems and fix it asap with the next update since I am not alone....

Phil999
Expert

Re: My 2 cents.....

Post by Phil999 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:03 pm

none of these issues occurred to me. I'm very curious what might be the reason for your troubles. The only thing that comes to mind is a faulty iPad, but that can't be because I've never heard of such a thing.

You seem to be the only one, or not?

warfaanax
Expert

Post by warfaanax » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:23 pm

There are threads regarding metronome count in problems, latency and installation problem. Even Rim said he will look into it. Many people have it , not just me. I wanted to write all together so devs can see all at once.

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:08 am

Yeah, i would love to see some shortcuts for the tempo, copy/past/cut and everything else that one uses much when arranging.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:26 am

there's a short cut to metronome on/off in the edit window when you touch the transport options (top right).

i get no latency problems using audiobus with ipad 4 and animoog. i load audiobus first (making sure all the background apps are closed), then auria, then animoog. I also make sure that audiobus latency is set to 256.

it would be handy if when creating a new track the new tracks where armed ready to record audiobus. it is a bit of a fuss having to rearm the tracks each time.
Last edited by mtingle on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:03 am

Thanks for your suggestions. I take these very seriously, and am constantly improving Auria, so I appreciate it. There's usually no need to list these in a separate thread, as every one of these topics has been discussed in other threads, and I'm already aware of them.

1. There seems to be some confusion about Audiobus latency here, and I wanted to clear some things up. If you're trying to use Auria with Audiobus and you're having issues, first make sure you don't have a jailbroken iPad. Most users we've talked with that were having issues had a jailbroken iPad. It's not recommended if you're going serious audio work, as some jailbreak installations apparently interfere with the audio system. If you're not on a jailbroken iPad, and still having latency issues, it's probably due to the fact that Auria adds an additional 256 samples of latency for it's own mixing and effects (plug-ins). I doubt this is affecting most users, as a total of 512 samples is still a very small amount of latency, and will not affect most recordings. So please make sure you're not jailbroken if you want to do serious audio work.

2/3/4. The re-installation window and metronome issues are going to be fixed in the next update.

5. Menus. This is a personal preference. Auria will most likely have an icon bar at the top of the editor at some point, but it's a tradeoff between screen real estate and functionality. For example, adding additional buttons to the mixer page is not feasible. There's simply no room By the way, the metronome and count-in are easy to enable or disable by clicking one item - the transport.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:13 am

Rim wrote:5. Menus. This is a personal preference. Auria will most likely have an icon bar at the top of the editor at some point, but it's a tradeoff between screen real estate and functionality.
I never (and I mean never) look at the information panel in the edit window (which has all the in/out fade info for selected regions). If there are a lot of users like me then all that panel could be replaced with a customised programmable button area. The old info panel could be toggled to be revealed if necessary from behind this area.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:17 am

There's a lot of room in the editor window. This is not an issue at all, since all the tracks are re-sizable. The problem is there's no room in the mixer window.

Rim

warfaanax
Expert

Post by warfaanax » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:11 am

Yes you can access metronome form transport but you cant change its tempo or beat. Adding shortcuts to mixing screen is not necessary. You said there is plenty room in editing, so we only need those shortcuts in editing window, it is enough to have them there.

I tried with both jailbroken ipad and non jailbroken ipad. Issues are still the same. I am currently using without jailbreak since I though jb might be causing a problem. No, ios 6.1 without jailbreak is the same. I dont know exactly what is the total latency is but Its alot when using with jamup and audiobus.

I dont run any other background apps other then audiobus , jamup and auria.

I am forced to give an example everytime I hear there is no latency statement. There is a latency. Cubasis doesnt have a latency. If it doesnt have it this means it can be done. You say auria is very powerful but if I cant record my guitar properly How am i suppose to use it?

I dont know the resaon for latency but as I am tellin you Cubasis with audiobus and jamup has no latency. I dont know how to make you believe guys. I did so many comparisons between cubasis and auria and there is a latency in auria with the same setup.

Latency is noticable. In auria my double tracks have so much chorus and delay to it. I know this is slightly what you get when you double but this is too much. Literally too much. I dont even wanna talk when I quad track a guitar. Again I have to say this, Cubasis works with no latency and guitar doubling sounds how its supposed to be like in protools on my computer.

Its not only me reporting latency issues with this app so you definetely shouldnt think this is not a real problem or a user error.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:07 am

I'll answer again, so it's very clear:

Without Audiobus:
All iOS apps have latency. It's impossible to avoid it. Auria is no different than any other app in this regard. If you set Auria for 128 samples, that's what you're going to get when you record.

With Audiobus:
We have received some reports that the Jam Up app causes latency when used in conjunction with Auria. I'll be investigating this, but in our testing of other Audiobus compatible apps, we've no issues with extra latency, so I assume this is an isolated case with Jam Up, and I'll report back what I find.

If you're experiencing problems with Audiobus and Auria, please make sure to follow these guidelines:

- Don't use Jailbroken iPads, as some users have reported issues.
- Use 32 bit mixer mode in Auria's settings
- Make sure your project sample rate is 44.1K for best results
- Start the Audiobus app first, before you start Auria. If Auria is already running, force-close it (double-tap on the home button).
- Don't use a lot of plugins or tracks- keep it simple when using Audiobus. Auria is a powerful app, optimized for mixing. Using it with other audio apps can be challenging unless you have an iPad4 and projects with few plugins.
- iOS6.x is recommended. Some users have reported problems with iOS 5.x.

Rim

warfaanax
Expert

Post by warfaanax » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:17 pm

I have been very frustrated for the last couple of days. Sorry if iI was being repetitive. I appreciate your efforts and pretty sure we will see a a great next update.

Thanks Rim... :D

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:52 pm

I've done some tests today, and I think I may have discovered why you've been experiencing additional latency with Jam Up/Audiobus/Auria. Auria handles inputs from Audiobus a little differently than other recording apps. In Auria, the audio input from Audiobus gets routed into Auria's mixer, through it's plug-ins, then out to the speaker/headphones. This kind of routing provides powerful flexibility, because you can add Auria's effects in real time to the Audiobus input. However, as a result, this also adds an additional layer of latency. It doesn't add much, but it's enough that you might notice when playing fast parts on a guitar, for example.

So, in Auria v1.07, I've decided to add a new setting: Audiobus Live mode. If you enable this, Auria will let Audiobus handle all the input monitoring, so you'll get less latency. After adding this new mode, I measured the same amount of latency as other recording apps using Audiobus.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:30 pm

Rim wrote:There's a lot of room in the editor window. This is not an issue at all, since all the tracks are re-sizable. The problem is there's no room in the mixer window.

Rim
The current menu bar(s) contain redundancies, without which there would be a little more room for other stuff. For example, there's no need for two window selection buttons - there are only two windows so we only need a 'Goto Mix'' button in the Edit Window and vice versa. The Fader Group button seems of little use in the Edit Window, just as the Set Locator button is pretty pointless in the Mix Window. So, there's two button spaces freed up!

In general, I dislike the menu lists. Too closely spaced for big fingertips! ;) Also the current text menus, devoid of colour cues even, can be bewildering and that slows down workflow too. I'd like to see the 'Counter' text-style menu replaced with a graphical menu with icon buttons (plus optional text labels) offering easier access to toggle options such as Loop, Auto-Punch, Count-In, Metronome and Auto-Return, in addition to the Time Format options.

I find the smart Set Locator button is awkward to use and it slows me down. I'd vote for it to be replaced with a 'Markers' button that pops-up a graphical menu with icon buttons (plus optional text labels) offering Set Start/Left Locator, Set End/Right Locator, Clear Locators (in a row), then a row of buttons for each Marker (being Set Marker (n), Goto Marker (n), Clear Marker (n)), and lastly Clear All Markers.

Another ergonomic issue, though not concerning the menu bars is the layout of the Track Display panel. It would be a great improvement if the Record Enable button were moved nearer the top of the panel, perhaps swapping places with the less-used colour picker. That way, more tracks could be visible, while allowing access to the 'Rec' buttons.

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:09 pm

Probably not the place for this but ....

Some really good suggestions Washboy.

+1 for one button screen change. I constantly hesitate before changing views (I'm a bit slow). One button is all that's necessary.
+1 move record button up. Constantly swapping views to record because not wanting to expand track view (with hesitation as mentioned above).
Those two would be a great start. (For me anyway)

Rob
iPad Air / 128 | iOS 7.1 | Apogee Duet | Auria 1.14 | Cubasis 1.7.2
Learning to play drums

warfaanax
Expert

Post by warfaanax » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:42 pm

I completely agree what Washboy says, every word. Menus should be designed in a better way.