Latency issues yet again, please, help

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

r3watson
Expert

Latency issues yet again, please, help

Post by r3watson » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:02 pm

I've been pulling my hair out for over two weeks trying to record in Auria. I have read the manual several times, and tried every possible combination to record in the Settings section. I came back today to see if I would have any luck. Nope. It's the latency, which I have mentioned before and been told I'm doing something wrong. So, please, help me see the errors!

Auria is the ONLY program I have running on my nonjailbroken iPad 4.

I am using the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 input device, which is noted to work with Auria.

I can't even get an even tempo with the Metronome, which wavers as I try to sing along with the music. So, I can't sing along. When I turn off the Metronome, the tempo stills wavers and sputters. So, is it the music wavering or the Metronome?

I have Record Monitor OFF.

Record Latency is set to 4096, as suggested in Auria user manual.

Disable Effects when recording, YES.

I've tried all sorts of different Record Latency Adjustments, none make any difference.

So, any attempt to record via the USB interface will not be acceptable, nor in time.

When trying to record a guitar via Apogee Jam, I get the same results: Latency, latency, latency. Of course, when recording with the Jam I have different settings.

Record Monitor ON.

Record Latency 128.

Disable Effects While Recording YES.

Record Latency Adjustment, again, it doesn't matter the setting, the results are not in time.

So, as you all can see, I've been going round and round with no improvements. My question: What the heck can I do to be able to record in Auria? I am not even trying to use Audiobus right now, just Auria and my Scarlett 2i2 interface or the Apogee Jam. There is nothing else running on my iPad. I just want to record.

Thanks again for listening. My specifics are listed below.

The great irony is that using the same equipment, I am able to record in Multitrack DAW with no noticeable latency, either with the Scarlett 2i2 or Apogee Jam.
-iPad 4 32gig/-iOS 9.1/-Auria Pro/-Apogee Jam/-Not jailbroken

Jus
Expert

Re: Latency issues yet again, please, help

Post by Jus » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:23 pm

If it were me in your situation , I would restore my ipad erase everything start from scratch

Just install Auria see if its works any better , then if all was good I would start adding my other apps one by one over the next few days

I had Auria starting to crash on me quite a lot (around the 1.04 update) and did the above and it really worked a treat for me :mrgreen:

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:55 pm

r3watson wrote:I've been pulling my hair out for over two weeks trying to record in Auria. I have read the manual several times, and tried every possible combination to record in the Settings section. I came back today to see if I would have any luck. Nope. It's the latency, which I have mentioned before and been told I'm doing something wrong. So, please, help me see the errors!

I am using the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 input device, which is noted to work with Auria.

I can't even get an even tempo with the Metronome, which wavers as I try to sing along with the music. So, I can't sing along. When I turn off the Metronome, the tempo stills wavers and sputters. So, is it the music wavering or the Metronome?

I've tried all sorts of different Record Latency Adjustments, none make any difference.

So, any attempt to record via the USB interface will not be acceptable, nor in time.

When trying to record a guitar via Apogee Jam, I get the same results: Latency, latency, latency. Of course, when recording with the Jam I have different settings.

Record Monitor ON.

Record Latency 128.

Record Latency Adjustment, again, it doesn't matter the setting, the results are not in time.

So, as you all can see, I've been going round and round with no improvements. My question: What the heck can I do to be able to record in Auria? I am not even trying to use Audiobus right now, just Auria and my Scarlett 2i2 interface or the Apogee Jam. There is nothing else running on my iPad. I just want to record.

The great irony is that using the same equipment, I am able to record in Multitrack DAW with no noticeable latency, either with the Scarlett 2i2 or Apogee Jam.
I have the same system you have and I can record with no problems even with Jamup. I am so willing to demonstrate to you that this actually works that I am willing to make a REAL TIME video and recording using exactly what you have and do everything you say it win't do. If you would like this as evidence let me know because it sounds like your really frustrated and you really want to use Auria so I am willing to help anyone who strives for that. If you don't want any help here than please post your issue in the Bug reporting thread so Rim can see it faster.
Cheers and dont give up quite yet.

r3watson
Expert

Post by r3watson » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:59 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:
r3watson wrote:I've been pulling my hair out for over two weeks trying to record in Auria. I have read the manual several times, and tried every possible combination to record in the Settings section. I came back today to see if I would have any luck. Nope. It's the latency, which I have mentioned before and been told I'm doing something wrong. So, please, help me see the errors!

Record Monitor ON.

Record Latency 128.

I have the same system you have and I can record with no problems even with Jamup. I am so willing to demonstrate to you that this actually works that I am willing to make a REAL TIME video and recording using exactly what you have and do everything you say it win't do. If you would like this as evidence let me know because it sounds like your really frustrated and you really want to use Auria so I am willing to help anyone who strives for that. If you don't want any help here than please post your issue in the Bug reporting thread so Rim can see it faster.
Cheers and dont give up quite yet.
That would be incredible, fantastic, wonderful! Thank you! I tried to post screenshots of my settings, but via Dropbox they didn't show up.

starsky

Post by starsky » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:33 am

r3watson I'm wondering if you got to the bottom of your latency issue?

I've the same set up as you (ipad 4 32gb, 1.06, iOS 6) but use the Scarlett 2i4. I still haven't got to the bottom of the issues I'm experiencing. In the meantime I've had to manually nudge my vocal or instrument tracks to align them. But, that said, its not an exact science so hoping to resolve the latency soon!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:04 am

I don't know if the OP fixed the issues he was having, and yours may be different, so can you describe exactly what you're trying to do, and I'll see if I can help.

In general when recording, it's best to choose a low latency, like 256 or 128. Otherwise, you'll hear too much latency when monitoring. The only time you'll want to use a higher latency setting is if your CPU usage is too high, but then it's a trade off between noticeable latency when monitoring your recording, and CPU usage. 256 or 512 usually works pretty well for most cases.

The latest Auria version has an issue with the count-in, so if you're using that, disable it until 1.07 comes out. it's possible the OP had an issue with that.

Rim

r3watson
Expert

Post by r3watson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:39 pm

Nothing new to report, no luck with eliminating latency while recording,thanks.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:57 pm

There are no latency issues currently with Auria unless you're using Audiobus, so I'd love to help you get to the bottom of the issue you're having. Let's start with a simple project, and we can do this one step at a time:

1. Make sure all apps are closed. To do this, double-tap on the home button, then close everything in the list you see(including Auria).
2. Open Auria
3. Create a new project with 2 tracks
4. Connect your Scarlett interface
5. Go to Auria's settings, and enable Record Monitor.
6. Turn on the metronome. Leave the Count-in turned off. There's a bug in the count-in function, and it won't currently work.
7. Set the latency to 256
8. Once you see the "USB" indicator at the top, open the input matrix, and set the first and second track's input to 1
9. Record enable track 1, and start recording.
10. Do the same for track 2.

You should have no noticeable latency.

Rim

edsharp

Post by edsharp » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:56 am

I was just about to start a new thread, but it looks like you know:

Turning count-in on seems to add around 4096 blank samples to the start of the track.

That said I still find 'record latency adjustment' does not work as I'd expect. Whatever value I fill in it seems to shift my recorded track to the RIGHT by that much. Meaning the track starts that much later.

I expect the latency adjustment to shift the track to the left, so that it starts that much earlier.

An example to illustrate:

These are my settings:
settings.png
settings.png (52.37 KiB) Viewed 9691 times
I have a Behringer UCA222 with the output connected directly to the input. I turn the metronome and record the track. This is what I see:
IMG_0049.PNG
IMG_0049.PNG (67.69 KiB) Viewed 9691 times
So I enter 69 into the 'record latency adjustment'; delete the track; and record the metronome again. This time I see this:
IMG_0050.PNG
IMG_0050.PNG (67.15 KiB) Viewed 9691 times
As you'll see the cursor should have been at 138 had I clicked exactly the same place on the waveform. So it appears I now have doubled the delay instead of reducing it to zero.

If I'm mistaken and this is the expected behaviour, can you allow negative values, so that I can shift it to the left, in effect cancelling out the round-trip latency of the audio interface?

Thanks in advance

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:19 am

The count-in issue has already been fixed in 1.07.

The record latency adjustment setting is only to be used when your USB audio interface is mis-reporting it's latency values to iOS. This happens on a few interfaces we've tested, so we decided to add that setting. So, to check if your interface needs this adjustment, you would connect a microphone to your interface, and place the mic next to the speaker or headphones that are connected to the output of that interface. Make sure record monitor is off in Auria and in your interface! Then, when you record the metronome, you'll see it's off by a number of samples. Some amount of latency is normal, depending on the distance between the mic and the speaker. You should count on 3.7 samples for every inch of distance at 44.1K. If you see a much larger latency, then your interface is not reporting it's latency correctly to iOS, and it should be adjusted in that box in Auria's settings page. A positive value in this box will decrease the latency you see, and a negative value will increase it. This is because with this value, you're letting Auria know how much extra latency the interface has (in other words, how much extra latency Auria should compensate for).

I hope this makes it clearer.

Rim

edsharp

Post by edsharp » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:35 am

Wow, that was a speedy reply! Thanks.
IMG_3012.JPG
IMG_3012.JPG (652.21 KiB) Viewed 9684 times
I think I have, in effect, done what you said. I didn't use a microphone, but by using a cable from the output back to the input that should achieve the same effect (minus the need to compensate for speaker-mic distance). It was from this that I got the measurement of 69 samples.

My problem:

When I enter 69 into the 'record latency adjustment' box it makes the situation *worse* by about 69 samples!

I therefore wondered if I could enter -69 to make the situation better by 69 samples, but I can't. The input requires an integer of 0 or higher.

So, I'm wondering whether it's a bug, given that I have done what you described; made the measurement; entered it into the latency adjustment and the result is that latency is worse by exactly the amount I entered. (see screenshot IMG_0050).

Do you agree?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:46 am

Oops, you're right. I was not allowing negative numbers in that box. I've just fixed it and added it to 1.07.

Thanks for letting me know.

Rim

edsharp

Post by edsharp » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:57 am

That's great!

lkingston
Expert

Post by lkingston » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:01 pm

I'm revisiting this subject. I have several audio interfaces depending upon what I am recording. Does Auria since the interface latency each time you record or does it do it once then save that adjustment. I'm asking because I am having latency issues when I overdub vocals on a piece with my Line6 SonicPort VX which was started using an Apogee Jam.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:30 pm

Auria saves the record latency offset per project (so every project can have a different value there). If you create a new project, it will be set to 0.

Rim