MIDI Implementation Timeline & Request for Full MIDI Support

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Would you like to see full MIDI support in the next version of Auria?

Yes
79%
No
12%
I Don't Care
9%

Total votes: 33

donovanjaymz
Expert

MIDI Implementation Timeline & Request for Full MIDI Support

Post by donovanjaymz » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi guys,

I've been waiting several months now for Auria to become a full MIDI capable DAW before I purchase it. I almost went with Steinberg's Cubasis for iPad when it came out, but their MIDI implementation is terrible because it doesn't offer anything beyond note on/off, velocity, and track volume. How embarasssing for them. Cubase, Logic, and Notator for the Atari ST had full MIDI implementation in 1984, so there is no excuse for them for skipping out on such an important, standard feature. I hope the case will be different for Auria.

Here's my questions:

1. When do you expect Auria to have MIDI capabilities? It's been hinted at for quite a while. Do you have a timeframe in mind?
2. Will Auria have full MIDI support including SysEx, Control Changes, and the whole General MIDI implementation?

With full MIDI capabilities, Auria would truly be a complete DAW, capable of communicating with vintage hardware synths, software synths, and even MIDI wind controllers. I sincerely hope these important, basic features will be implemented. Imagine the possibilities....

ChrisG
Expert

Re: MIDI Implementation Timeline & Request for Full MIDI Sup

Post by ChrisG » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:26 pm

I believe Auria will get extensive MIDI implementation with time. But let's just focus on getting Auria to communicate with its internal plugins. Facts are that Wavemachine Labs are selling plugins that does not work as advertised, or work at all really. Once that's taken care of, I'll be mucho happy to buy more extensive MIDI in Auria via IAP or whatever the solution.

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:36 pm

Patience is the key.It's coming and i don't think we have to wait long.Rim already mentioned that at least Sync for the Plugins is quite close.Remember:Auria is still a version ONE.Now look at all the other (Desktop)DAW's and how long they have been on the market and what version numbers they have. :wink:

There's really no need to make pressure on them,Wavemachinel Labs are doing a great job and releasing quick updates not only with bugfixes.Also with workflow improvements and new functions.I tink it's most important to make it a real stable app and bugfree as possible instead of throwing in new features too quickly and combine old bugs with new bugs then (yes,i'm looking at you Beatmaker).

This is just the beginning.

edit:and remember,audiobus integration is just a"couple of days"old and they gonna improve it massively in the next update.And they are still in an after NAMM rush.I can just speculate what kind of deals they made there but i smell a new wave of fine Plugins and Instruments (once Midi is released) incoming.Maybe they release midi with a big bang along with some new IAP synths,drums,sampler whatever... :)
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:30 pm

Has it really come to this?

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:06 pm

Right?
This "give me all of the features we ever had on a desktop RIGHT F***ING NOW,
or I will post cruel comments all over the forums- YOU owe me" mentality has really gained momentum recently.
It's everywhere.
I first noticed on the Digidesign forum years back when the mbox came out. Now with iOS, it's exponentially worse.
So what- you paid $50 for a full featured recording studio for the iPad. Now it isn't good enough because it doesn't have midi yet.

I will be looking forward to hearing these masterpieces you "trailblazing" artists produce when Auria gets midi. Provided they aren't simpleton "jams" where you don't really play anything, just tap a couple things in once and a while so you have time to make the "Punky's whips" face...

Sorry for the rant, but seriously, shut up and play yer guitar.... These companies are working very hard to accomodate you and all you can do is the equivalent of throwing rotten vegetables at them.
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:11 pm

Ps- wavemachine labs dudes- please let us know when the last audio only version of Auria is available,
so I don't update and instantly make my iPad 3 obsolete. You guys are doing a hell of a job!
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

donovanjaymz
Expert

Post by donovanjaymz » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:15 pm

It's not that I'm impatient or overly demanding, rather, I am excited and supportive for this technology to come about. Cubasis was obviously rushed out without much thought for MIDI so I wanted to make these suggestions so that Auria keeps their edge over them. For me, like many other synth based musicians, MIDI is very important as I tend to use only a few audio tracks against as many soft synths as I can get away with. MIDI implementation in Auria has the potential to make my laptop obsolete for simple MIDI/Audio production. SysEx dumps and Control Changes are the essence of my work. I think by adding good, solid MIDI features, Auria will attract many new paying customers who are primarily synth based. I am certainly ready and willing to pay whatever price is neccessary to get those features in there. I'm looking forward to buying Auria as soon as MIDI is implemented.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:18 am

i would say MIDI is definitely on its way but don't expect it any time soon. Rim has stated he wants to iron out all the current bugs before moving onto MIDI, which is a commendable and sensible idea IMO.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:34 am

donovanjaymz wrote:...I am excited and supportive for this technology to come about...
...I am certainly ready and willing to pay whatever price is neccessary to get those features in there. I'm looking forward to buying Auria...
I think the expression is, "put your money where your mouth is" ;)

Lee B
Expert

Post by Lee B » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:39 am

I've voted yes, not necessarily for the next version, but in time of course. At the moment I use Nanostudio for composition, then either bounce stems or full mixes into Auria for finishing.
Obviously for me and others in a similar situation, midi would be the icing on the cake, providing an all on one work station.
On the other hand, many of the members here couldn't give a monkeys, quite rightly, because they use the software for recording live instruments.
It seems to me that the two camps seem to clash whenever midi is brought up and people get a bit over excited, defensive and the usual Forum tiffs erupt.
Laughable really!
We're all here to make music with different approaches, so let's just get along!

Cheers

Lee

kwalker0210
Expert

Post by kwalker0210 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:10 am

I really don't care whether or not MIDI is implemented, I just hope they wait until the audio stuff works first. If I were them, I would make it a plug-in, so those who have no use for it can skip it.

tensixtysix
Expert

Post by tensixtysix » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:49 am

I've voted yes. I have many MIDI files that I would like to play from within Auria to my hardware synths and record them back as audio tracks. Then all of the tracks would stay in sync and i can record each synth onto a separate track. Something basic would do that. I do understand that many other users will want to do more than that. So do I. But it would be good to get something working soon. It has been a long time since MIDI implementation was first mentioned. I hope we won't have to wait too long before it becomes a reality.

pisco

Post by pisco » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:25 am

At lease MIDI Clock sync, Start Stop would be essential for a DAW. I voted for Yes, but a full blown MIDI implementation not required in short term.

donovanjaymz
Expert

Post by donovanjaymz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:00 am

Yes, it has come to this.