Presonus 1818vsl has anyone ever Recorded a live setup

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Jus
Expert

Presonus 1818vsl has anyone ever Recorded a live setup

Post by Jus » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:04 pm

Hi Auria crew 8)

I might be recording the (rock ) band I'm in next week via the presonus

Up to 8 inputs , as not got hold of an Adat yet :?

The problem is ? can I risk taking monitoring out the Presonus straight into a PA (using the presonus as a live mixer recorder)

Or would everything be best double mic'ed so one mic goes to the Main PA and one to the presonus /Auria (not sure we've enough mics for this though)

What would you do , or have you done ,
Any other ideas Very Welcome

Cheers Jus 8)

mandodon
Expert

Re: Presonus 1818vsl has anyone ever Recorded a live setup

Post by mandodon » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:07 pm

I recorded our band using the Presonus 1818vsl. All the mics and instruments went into the mixer (an old Mackie 1604 VLZ). I took direct outs from the mixer into the Presonus. If your mixer doesn't have direct outs, you can tap the insert by plugging a 1/4" cable into the first click on the insert to get a direct out.

I wouldn't want to depend on the 1818vsl for the live sound.

I also used a Steinberg MR816x in standalone mode for ADAT ins into the Presonus. I think I recorded 12-14 tracks total. Everything ran just fine.

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:41 am

Cheers Mandodon 8)

That's real valuable info about the inserts , I didn't know you could do that ,

That's the way I will be going ta :mrgreen:

mandodon
Expert

Post by mandodon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:03 am

MOST mixers let you tap the insert that way. Make sure you test yours before the show. You can buy (or make) special cables that you can plug in all the way if you're worried about a cable coming out or getting pushed all the way in.

You'll want to use regular instrument type (unbalanced/mono) Tip Sleeve cables for tapping the inserts, not (stereo/balanced) Tip Ring Sleeve cables.

Good luck with your recording project!

Ericd921
Expert

Post by Ericd921 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:27 am

I haven't necessarily used my setup in a gig setting, but I've been tracking practices with my band. I've got an 1818vsl lightpiped with a Digimax FS and I'm tracking all 16 tracks, DI'd from a Soundcraft FX16 board. The other poster is right... I wouldn't rely on the Presonus for live sound, as it runs pretty flat. I like to take the DI off the soundboard so I can beef the tone up a bit going into Auria. I was able to get several good 75+ min recordings. Be warned, though....I made another post because now I'm getting warnings about increasing my buffer size and my recordings are being cut off. Not quite sure why this is happening, as I'm running ipad2 with at least 20 gigs free and Auria running solo. Hopefully Rim can help me solve my problem soon!

Cheers!
Eric
Eric

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:25 pm

Cheers Guys for the info very much appreciated 8)

mandodon
Expert

Post by mandodon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:25 pm

I recorded my band last night--8 tracks in tapping the inserts on a mixer. We did an extended sound check Friday night, but without the drummer, and I recorded it fine--no problems with levels. The show I recorded has some digital overs--mainly on vocal mics.

The Auria/1818 combo seems to hit digital over at about -5 db on the meters in Auria. So keep your peaks well below -10 on the meters in Auria. And remember that everyone will play and sing a lot louder during the show than they will when you're trying to get your levels during soundcheck.

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:40 pm

Yea that clipping can be annoying had a problem with it myself ,

What firmware is your 1818 running because I think Presonus improved the clipping threshold in the 1.05 firmware version
I cant seem to install the Presonus drivers onto my Windows PC for some reason so I can't update my 1818
:evil: