FabFilter and CPU

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Shay
Expert

FabFilter and CPU

Post by Shay » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi Rim,

I know that the forum contains items about FabFilter plugins and CPU regarding several problems, however I want to raise the CPU issue specifically.

Currently I am freezing any all the tracks I am not editing. My mixer is not using 64bit.
My IPAD3 with IS6.0.1 (not jailbreaked) often gets CPU errors.
Sometimes when using TimeLess2+Volcano2 on the same track and sometimes when using one of them.
It happens when browsing the ready-templates and stops my playback loop.

Does FabFilter intend to check if performance increase is possible?

The mix of Auria and FabFilter is amazing and I use them together intensively to create cool music.
The CPU limitation sometimes breaks the flow.

Thanks a lot,
Shay

ChrisG
Expert

Re: FabFilter and CPU

Post by ChrisG » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:36 pm

Can I sneak in another issue that's kinda related? When using Saturn and I'm overloading the CPU waaay over 100%, by for example temporary unfreezing tracks that uses the HQ oversampling mode in Saturn which an iPad 2 can't handle, the plug keeps farting out these weird noises that are really high sometimes, like hurt your ears high. Even though nothing is running (sequencer/Auria stopped). So could someone at FabFilter please look into that and find a way to kill the plug when Auria is stopped. This is on an iPad 2 latest iOS, not JBd. Or if Wavemachine can find a way to completely cut the plugs from any audio out, even if the CPU overload makes iOS and Auria go nuts...

EDIT: On the browse presets issue, I'm just guessing here but Fabs plugs causes short CPU spikes when switching presets which is normal I'd say, atleast for multi effect units like Saturn, Volcano and Timeless. But it shouldn't stop Auria unless the project is already taking up a big chunk of the system resources. iPad 3 have the same CPU as iPad 2, so I'm also getting that. Any optimization would be welcome, but I think all this stuff is just pushing that poor dual core ARM CPU to its limits.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:00 pm

I'll e-mail Fabfilter to see if there's anything going on CPU wise when switching presets, but keep in mind that Auria's audio engine always runs, even when the transport is stopped. This is to accommodate reverb tails, and other effects that keep playing after the input is gone.

Rim

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:14 pm

i read in a (saturn)thread at gearslutz that the fabfilter plugs usually takes nothing (if you dont use the oversampling) and you can use really a LOT instances on a more ore less current machine.I would say they definitely need some improvement.An ipad 4 (in my case) is really not THAT weak to just run one instance of saturn without oversampling and it takes 30% if you use 5-6 bands.Same for volcano or timeless if you use all filters or a little modulation sources.I'm pretty sure the pads can handle more if they put a little more work into the adaption.Anyway,i'm just glad to have em on iPad :wink:
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:09 am

Yeah, it's really heavy on an iPad 3, but in two or three years we all will smile about that :D

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:12 am

Rim wrote:I'll e-mail Fabfilter to see if there's anything going on CPU wise when switching presets, but keep in mind that Auria's audio engine always runs, even when the transport is stopped. This is to accommodate reverb tails, and other effects that keep playing after the input is gone.

Rim
You're right about the tails etc of course. But there's a bug where if you use the HQ mode in Saturn, in this case on iPad 2, so the CPU will go way way beyond 100% Auria & Saturn will start picking up sound from the iPad internal mic. That sound routes trough Saturn which makes for some unpleasant and loud noise. Turning off Saturn or the HQ mode and Auria stops picking up audio from the internal mic. So some weirdness is definitely going on there.

EDIT: Actually it doesn't seem to be tied to just Saturn, overloaded the CPU with ProQ and Timeless and got the same results.

EDIT 2: By the way, the setup is two mono tracks routed to a sub channel if that helps.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:43 am

There's nothing that can be done about that issue actually. The CoreAudio system built in to the iPad will route the internal mic into inputs when it gets overloaded, and that's probably what you're hearing.

Rim

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:10 am

Thanks! Might be it, Auria doesn't give any visual feedback on any of the meters. If its a bug within iOS I do hope Apple fixes it. I mean, it can get pretty loud when you're temporarily unfreezing tracks and your hand constantly is rubbing against the mic input.

fabfilter

Post by fabfilter » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:54 am

Depending on the number of bands that you use, the HQ mode in FabFilter Saturn is probably a bit too much for the iPad 2/3. We've contemplated disabling it for the Auria version of Saturn (as well as e.g. the 4x oversampling mode in Pro-L), but since it's very likely that there will be faster iPads in the near future, we decided to leave it in. For now if you're running on a slower iPad, it's probably best to leave it disabled. Browsing presets won't change the HQ setting.

Changing presets might temporarily increase CPU usage and cause it to overload if you're already close to the edge.

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:13 am

The picture is worst then how Fabfilter picture it.

On iPad 3 above 50% of example settings don't work with volcano and timeless. You get the CPU overload monster.
If you disable them then CPU goes back to low usage, which means it is not Auria fault !
I am talking about a single track with a plugin (all the other tracks frozen), and no other plugin enabled.

Yes we paid less then pc version, but we got half working plugins.
They didn't mention that it is very limited on iPad 3 and I guess 4 as well.
Maybe that's why they don't let us post on their forum. :(

I am very disappointed. Auria is great and the work with fabfilter has great potential.
Maybe on IPad 3000 :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:09 am

Shay,

I just tried all of the "Best Of" presets on Volcano and Timeless on an iPad 2, using the Approach demo song as an example, and was able to use every preset in the list without the CPU going over 80%. Is there a particular preset that caused problems for you?

Also, are you using the 64-bit mixer perhaps? This will cause a very big increase in CPU usage in Auria (it's in Auria's settings page).

Rim

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:43 am

Hi Rim,

Thanks for the fast reply.
I uploaded several images.
1. Settings - which shows 64bit is off.

2. One short track project, with volcano and several CPU problems.
When Volcano is disabled the CPU is on 8%

3. I copy+paste the track 9 more times and the plugin is only on the first track and I get Timeless errors.

No other app in the background. Only Auria and no Audiobus,
Some settings do work but in big projects many don't.
When I work on big projects, above 14 tracks and all frozen tracks except a single one I get the errors all the time.

Thanks,
Shay
Attachments
IMG_0794.PNG
More timeless CPU
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 529 times
IMG_0793.PNG
Timeless. 10 tracks. One with plugin
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 529 times
IMG_0791.PNG
More volcano
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 529 times
IMG_0790.PNG
Volcano
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 529 times
IMG_0788.PNG
Before enabling only 8 percent
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 529 times
IMG_0792.PNG
Settings
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 529 times

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:01 am

Would you mind sending me your project? I cannot duplicate this here. I've tried the same preset you're using (Eons of Time BM), and it works fine on an iPad 2 with the Approach project.

Or, if you could show me exactly what you do (step by step), starting with the Approach demo project, it would be helpful. I simply can't get the CPU to overload on an iPad 2 when using a single instance of these plugins.

Rim

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:27 am

I took screens-capture from a test project i just opened.
I took a simple loop out of IPoly6 and pasted into a track twice and then created more tracks and copy+paste,
BTW Volcano failed even when it was a single track.

I will upload project to my Dropbox and PM url to you.

Thanks,
Shay

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:54 am

Shay just emailed me the project, and it's a 96Khz project. I wasn't aware of this. Running Auria at 96K will definitely limit the amount of plugins you can run, and it's possible to overload the CPU with certain plugin presets at 96K on an iPad 2/3. As powerful as Auria is, please keep in mind this is still an iPad ;) The iPad 4 has more than twice the amount of CPU power, so it has plenty of power to handle several plugins at 96K.

Rim