Pro C Display Resolution

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

CEIsar
Expert

Pro C Display Resolution

Post by CEIsar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:37 am

so i bought the Pro C now and i'm wondering that nobody mentioned this before (or maybe there's a hidden trick that i just don't know?):
The display with the realtime analyse (red,grey and light brown lines/waves)has a really low resolution,totally different to all the tutorial videos I watched before.And i was very impressed of how much of visual control you have.Because of the smooth curves you could clearly see every single bit of changes the guy made.As it is now,it looks more like an 8 Bit video game from the atari aera (defender anyone? ;-) ) and the differences (when you play with the attack and release times) are really hard to see.If ever.But the stunning visual control was one selling point for me.It might sound picky but i am totally happy with the internal compressor and the psp oldtimer soundwise.So there was not really a need for another compressor (well,besides side chaining but this might come to the channelstrips as well).

What i don't understand:the Pro C takes just 3% cpu (which is great) on an ipad 4.I would gladly spend some more % to have a higher resolution or at least the option to choose a high resolution if i want that (just like in Pro EQ,works great that way).So,if anybody from fabfilter is reading:Please add this ;-)
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Shay
Expert

Re: Pro C Display Resolution

Post by Shay » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:51 am

One important issue to add.
When you open the expert panel the graph becomes so tiny that I usually use the "hubble telescope" to see it :D .
Why don't they use a wide mode such as volcano?

Best regards,
Shay

fabfilter

Post by fabfilter » Wed May 01, 2013 6:32 am

The graph in the Auria version of Pro-C should have the same resolution as the normal plugin version. However, the resolution depends on the block size that you've selected in Auria. If you use a smaller block size, resolution should be better.

If this doesn't help, can you post a screen shot of what you're seeing?

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Wed May 01, 2013 7:21 am

Hi,thanks for your reply!

But what do you mean with block size?I can't find an option like this in auria.
Here are two screenshots.The first one i made in auria (just a simple bassdrum at 121 bpm) and the second one from the introducing video of Pro C.

http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/3242/yw9m44yl_jpg.htm

http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/3242/9uvmkhs8_jpg.htm

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed May 01, 2013 7:25 am

By block size, I believe he's referring to the playback latency, which is not adjustable in Auria. However, there are a couple of ways to reduce this size: If you use Audiobus mode, the playback latency will be set to 512 samples. Also, if you arm any track for recording, the latency will change to the amount you've set in the Record Latency setting (in Auria's settings page). Using one of these methods, you can temporarily increase the resolution in Pro-C.

Note that arming a track or using Audiobus mode will increase the CPU usage, so I recommend only doing this temporarily.

Rim

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Wed May 01, 2013 8:34 am

Enabling Audiobus made no difference nor increases the cpu load. but record arm a track did work.Well,it also increases the cpu load massively.40% more at 256 buffer size on an ipad 4.That's not usable but a latency from 512 is ok (roundabout 18%more).Not the most elegant solution but at least it works.Thanks!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed May 01, 2013 10:36 am

Audiobus mode will only reduce the latency after you restart Auria (or if Audiobus is running in the background). It's really the same as record enabling a track, so it's probably easier to just rec enable.

Rim

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Wed May 01, 2013 3:40 pm

One more question:how is it possible that the latency is affecting the Pro C display but not the Pro Q one (set to full speed and maximum resolution)?

Still three Fabbies (Pro DS,L,G) missing in my collection but i would like to purchase the Pro L as well.Does the L have the same display problem then?

Very nice compressor by the way.

ZenLizard
Expert

Post by ZenLizard » Sun May 19, 2013 8:56 am

Somewhat off topic... What makes the L cost $10 more than the Q, C, and DS? Just curious.

(Okay, so maybe waaay off topic. Feel free to ignore me if you find it offensive)
— Can you hum a few bars? —

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon May 20, 2013 6:02 am

I'm not sure, you'd need to ask FabFilter on their forum. Plugin prices are set by the plugin developers. We don't even take a cut of it...

Rim

QbAnYtO
Expert

Post by QbAnYtO » Mon May 20, 2013 6:00 pm

Rim, u don't get a cut?!! That freaking sucks man!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon May 20, 2013 6:39 pm

No, we do that on purpose to make sure it's a good deal for the plugin developers. Also, developers don't have to pay a percentage when developing for DAWs like Pro Tools and Logic, so it's a pretty hard sell to ask developers for a cut if they make an Auria version.

Rim

ZenLizard
Expert

Post by ZenLizard » Mon May 20, 2013 6:43 pm

Hardly seems fair, does it? They get to make more money because you provided them with an opportunity. The least they could do is return the favor with a small kickback for every one they sell. :)
— Can you hum a few bars? —

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Tue May 21, 2013 4:21 am

Rim wrote:No, we do that on purpose to make sure it's a good deal for the plugin developers. Also, for example Pro Tools and Logic don't charge developers to add plugins, so it's a pretty hard sell to ask developers for a cut if they make an Auria version.

Rim
I guess good plugins on your platform help to sell Auria so you recoup in a different way.

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 21, 2013 9:20 am

Exactly. It was the 3rdparty plug ins that caught my attention the most when researching iPad DAW options.