ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

louparte
Expert

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by louparte » Fri May 17, 2013 11:59 pm

Forgive a stupid question, where is the "e" button?

Never mind, I found it. Thanks.

jket25

Post by jket25 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:51 pm

I have been using auria for a while without any problems but just recently I have been getting a crackly static sound on everything I record and I don't know why. I turned the input volumes down on the io dock but that didn't seem to make a difference , please help!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:30 am

Are you using an iPad 2 or 3? If so, it's possible you're experiencing a coreAudio bug. To solve this, try going into the settings, using a record latency of 4096, and disabling USB Soft Start.

Rim

jket25

Post by jket25 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:04 pm

I am using an iPad 2 but I just tried what you said and it worked ! Thanks! What exactly does that do by changing that number

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:01 am

It's a well known bug in coreAudio on iPad 2 and 3 when using USB audio devices. Using those settings initializes the audio session in a way that minimizes the impact of the bug.

iPad 4 doesn't have this issue.

Rim

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:14 am

A bit of background before my question: I've been recording on iOS devices since 2010. Prior to that, I worked in a few analog studios back in the '80s and 90's. I also had a Tascam portastudio 8 track casette recorder. I was never too interested in the technical end of recording, mixing, and mastering.

Since 2010, things in the iOS recording world have been moving rapidly, and I'm getting more and more confused by what I'm reading in all the forums.

So here's my question:

When "mastering" in Auria, what are users doing? Mixing down recorded tracks to a new track without touching the master plugs and channel strips? Then master the mixed down stereo track? I've read that's what I'm "supposed" to do. I've been getting a mix I like, then using the master channel and plugins without mixing down to a new track. What's working for you? What is your mastering process? I'm working alone, recording singer songwriter, rock, bluesy stuff. Thanks.

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:20 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:96k offers more information for the audio to be reproduced into the digital domain but the amount of stress it puts on your cpu makes it not the best choice. Some say that most can not hear the difference as well any track brought into Auria via audiobus is still the same quality . In simple terms there is no advantage to using 96k unless you can handle it on your recording device and the iPad's memory and cpu speed are not quite high enough yet to comfortably record at this sample rate and the difference you will hear will be very little to none. This sample rate has been known to even stall a MacBook Pro with lots of ram and cpu speed. Also remember that an audio file recorded at 24bit 96k uses 2x the drive space for wav files compared to 24bit 44.1k. As well problems can arise during the sample rate conversion if your going to use it on CD or DVD. The rule I follow is 24bit 48k for Rock and Pop music and video and 24bit 44.1 for CD mastering with 16 bit dither noise applied. If I'm just recording a single performer say acoustic guitar and vocal and my project is only about 3-4 tracks then I give it all I have for the clearest and pristine sound but only on very transparent tracks do I notice a better sheen on the high end and the bottom of the acoustic is well defined. In a full rock or pop mix or hip hop our house you will be pressed to notice any difference or just minor.
hope this helps and I think there was some good posts on this subject before so maybe do a search and you may find more info. As well the web has some great articles on the subject.cheers
Following on from your advice, I want to ask your opinion: I have been using Auria Mixdown to 32 bit / 44.1 for electronic mixes- (Samplr mastered in Auria). I definitely notice a difference in audio quality compared to 16 bit. I'm wondering about 24 bit compared to 32... Rim said higher res means higher quality. Even for my first task of a Soundcloud upload then auto convert to 128k! If I can put up with long upload times am I right to stick with 32 bit?
One other question: I do the Low Cut M = 40Hz Low Cut S 90Hz. But I still have a lot of visible low end bass rumble in Pro Q. I only have Beyer DT990s to monitor with. So, I can't really say if the Pro Q display is anything to worry about when it's not audible. Or my other experiment has been to throw in a wide notch filter setting to further reduce bass on the display around 20Hz. Not ideal, as I thought 48DB Low cuts should do it. But, my tracks have been recorded with excessive bass in Samplr (lack of real eq in app!) Any suggestions welcome. Although when I look at 'The Approach' demo track, I see that it has loads of bass activity in Pro Q below20 Hz. Perhaps I'm worrying too much about what I see on the display and not enough about the sound: I can't hear much below 50 Hz in the demo! Thanks.

Nicaddarrick

Post by Nicaddarrick » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:59 pm

I've got 60 cycle hum in the quiet areas of my guitar part. What is the easiest way to get rid of this?

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:24 am

If you can't eliminate it at the source, then try to use an EQ like Pro-Q to notch it out with a very narrow Q notch filter.

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:00 pm

definitely try to address the 60hz stuff at the source.

If you can't (or you're trying to save a great take) do the notch thing. You may also need to attenuate frequencies above it at 120, 240, 480... Depending on the type of guitar part, you may be able to just roll everything off under 120hz for that section with an aggressive high-pass filter.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Following on from your advice, I want to ask your opinion: I have been using Auria Mixdown to 32 bit / 44.1 for electronic mixes- (Samplr mastered in Auria). I definitely notice a difference in audio quality compared to 16 bit. I'm wondering about 24 bit compared to 32... Rim said higher res means higher quality. Even for my first task of a Soundcloud upload then auto convert to 128k! If I can put up with long upload times am I right to stick with 32 bit?
One other question: I do the Low Cut M = 40Hz Low Cut S 90Hz. But I still have a lot of visible low end bass rumble in Pro Q. I only have Beyer DT990s to monitor with. So, I can't really say if the Pro Q display is anything to worry about when it's not audible. Or my other experiment has been to throw in a wide notch filter setting to further reduce bass on the display around 20Hz. Not ideal, as I thought 48DB Low cuts should do it. But, my tracks have been recorded with excessive bass in Samplr (lack of real eq in app!) Any suggestions welcome. Although when I look at 'The Approach' demo track, I see that it has loads of bass activity in Pro Q below20 Hz. Perhaps I'm worrying too much about what I see on the display and not enough about the sound: I can't hear much below 50 Hz in the demo! Thanks.
Sorry for the delayed response. Yes all that energy you see at the 20 HZ is not much to worry about. As long as you have taken care of the low end there shouldnt be too much low frequency rumble on other listening devices. Headphones tend to hype the bass, mids and side effects so that everything tends to sound there and so much of it where a studio monitor is more honest in what you here. I say when mixing with headphones and assessing bass always turn it down a bit so that in your headphones the bass sounds a bit low in volume. this usually translates into a better bottom end mix on speakers. Again try your mix on as many devices and speakers as you have around. It's sometimes a hit and miss even with proper studio speakers as everything from the room and your condition of your ears play a role in mixing audio for the masses. cheers and hope this helps. So bottom line is don't worry about the ProQ low metering view as that is normal to see even after you have done your adjustments. Dont forget to hit the sizers to split the band into mid side then touch the small blue ball on the spit to get the side channel active.

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:58 am

A rather simple question. I would like to pitch samples seamlessly to various degrees. Much like the glide effect that most synths have. I know it could be done with Retune per automation, but it just isn't really suited for anything but vocals, imo.

I have a real time pitch bender in Samplr, but it's more for finetuning.

Any ideas for such a rather simple task?

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:01 am

Anyone?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:19 am

Auria doesn't have a pitch processing function yet, but it's high on my list for a future update.

Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:54 am

Rim wrote:Auria doesn't have a pitch processing function yet, but it's high on my list for a future update.

Rim
Could it be in any way automatable? But then again it wouldn't make much sense to create a new effect plug-in just for simple pitch processing. Maybe i'll have to wait for the sampler then.

But my question was a little broader actually, as i know that i can't do it with Auria right now. How could i actually do it on the iPad? Any app that could help me here, except for Cubasis? :D