Compatable Sequencers

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Bog music

Compatable Sequencers

Post by Bog music » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi guys
I wondered if anyone has tried running a sequencer alongside Auria using midi timecode yet. I would like to do some recording in a couple of weeks on my holiday and was hoping to buy a simple sequencer to use until Auria gets ..... (too excited, I just cant say it). I would like to do a bit of sequencing and keep it as editable midi while recording the audio output via audiobus.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Regards
Simon

dinomedanhodzic
Expert

Re: Compatable Sequencers

Post by dinomedanhodzic » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:42 am

I use Genome for midi sequencing with auria, but it's not as stable as it should be. The notes are randomly delayed and and the whole setup is really heavy on the CPU and memory on my ipad2. But it gets the job done most of the times with some tweeking.

Bog music

Post by Bog music » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:29 pm

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check Genome out.

When you had troubles with timing was that before Auria got midi sync?
Regards
Simon

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:29 pm

Beatmaker is reported to sync well with Auria. I don't own it so I can't verify.

Sinapsya
Expert

Post by Sinapsya » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:18 am

BM2 have perfect sync and song position as well

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:55 am

Sinapsya wrote:BM2 have perfect sync and song position as well
Doesn't work for me.Yes,it syncs but when i press start.Bm2 always starts with a delay and i can't correct this via Midi delay.Weird:the clock starts to"shift"after a couple of bars.There's a point where its absolutely in sync but after a strophe or so,the clock will shift away again (quarter or half beat off)...sorry,can't describe it better in english.

Song position and Midi Start/stop are active as well.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:14 pm

Yup- BM2 works absolutely perfect over here with Auria as clock master. Well done Rim!
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

analept

Post by analept » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:27 am

Hi everyone, first post here.

I Love Auria but I have EXACTLY the same problem as CEIsar has in BM2 but with GENOME !
I was waiting for this great update that is the midi sync, but it seams to be buggy ?

My hardwares are in perfect sync, but not the auria samples ... even if auria is the master or the slave...
I really hope I'm doing something wrong but I don't think ...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Like CEIsar says :
Doesn't work for me.Yes,it syncs but when i press start.Bm2 always starts with a delay and i can't correct this via Midi delay.Weird:the clock starts to"shift"after a couple of bars.There's a point where its absolutely in sync but after a strophe or so,the clock will shift away again (quarter or half beat off)...sorry,can't describe it better in english.

Song position and Midi Start/stop are active as well.

Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:34 pm

Auria will only work as the Master clock with a sequencer like Genome, so you want to make sure you only have MIDI Clock (plus MIDI SPP and Start/Stop) being sent from Auria to Genome directly, and not through network MIDI. I don't recall if Genome supports MMC or not, but either way it shouldn't affect sync itself. When it doesn't work, what exactly does (or doesn't) happen?

Beatmaker2's sync has been very solid for us at the office, as a test I just sync'd BM2 to Auria's Clock Out and let them run for about 200 bars without any drift. When it struggles it's usually been due to high CPU usage.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.

analept

Post by analept » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:36 am

allright,

thanx for your response I will retry my connections with Auria as the master clock and will come back here to let you know how it works.

Droopy

Post by Droopy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:09 pm

Hello all,

My is first post to the forum... I am hoping I can give back to the community with this.

I am looking to sequence drums and bass in Beatmaker 2 (BM2), and to pipe the audio to Auria via Audiobus.

I was having the same problem as others above. My session would start in sync, then drift over time. The song I am working on is 88 measures long. By 40 bars in, the drift was so bad it was unusable.

Through trial and error, I struck upon a set of settings that kept the apps in lockstep all the way through. I recorded the drum track and bass line from BM2 to Auria in two separate passes, and the alignment is perfect. :P

You can check out the settings I used, and the resulting alignment of the waveforms in these images: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0qwneapb8n09dev/G6kyS1I9CM

The setting are similar to those above, with the difference is that BM2 is essentially set as the master.

BM2's MIDI settings are configured only to 'CLOCK SEND' to Auria.
Note: no active Inputs, and also note the 'MIDI latency' is set to zero.

Auria's MIDI settings are configured most importantly to 'Receive MTC' as a MIDI Input from BM2.
At the bottom of the config screen, the options are enabled to MIDI Start/Stop and Song Position Pointer data.

Auria's MIDI Outputs options to 'Send Clock' and 'Send Notes' are enabled, even though BM2 is not set to receive this data from Auria, because I think it was necessary to be able to control BM2's transports from within the Audiobus widget inside Auria. I should test this again to see if these can be disabled, but it works with these settings; and sometimes you don't mess with success. :)

Once setup, I am controlling the recording process from with Auria, only going to BM2 to check positioning or change the active tracks being output to Auria.

Regarding my hardware, this is on a 64GB iPad 3 running with 'Airplane' mode ON; so, YMMV.

I do hope this helps the community. It's gotten me past the config stage, and onto production.
I hope it does the same for you.

Regards.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:24 pm

hm, theoretically this should not work, because BM2 is not able to send MTC, only MIDI clock. Could it be you used different settings than in your screen shots?

analept

Post by analept » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:23 am

hi,

I have a look yesterday and set Auria as the master with my hardwares ; and not using genome at all (to see if it is not that app the problem)
So, I was working in loop mode on 2 bars, and machine drum and auria samples are in sync but after 2 minutes it looses the sync.
Maybe it's the loop mode the problem, I duplicate my region and it loose the sync at 129 bars...
So at this point it's maybe my loop that is not perfect.

So I record the Machine Drum (always with auria as the master), and then hit start to play the recorded track and the machine drum at the same time,
it's in sync, but at bar 5 it totaly loose the sync...

weird ... why it's in sync at the beginning and quickly loose the sync ?

and like Droopy said, if I hit record for multiple tracks, I'm pretty sure all the tracks will be in sync.
But I want to be able to play what i have recorded in auria on loop mode in sync with my hardware sounds.

regards.

Droopy

Post by Droopy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:06 am

Phil999 wrote:hm, theoretically this should not work, because BM2 is not able to send MTC, only MIDI clock. Could it be you used different settings than in your screen shots?
These are the precise settings I used.

When it worked twice in a row, I immediately grabbed the screenshots so as not to lose the settings.

I tried a number of other variations with Auria as the master, and the sync always drifted; but this config has been rock solid.

I am not pretending to know why this config works, just that it has been working.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:52 am

well I'm glad it does, that's what counts. Often enough it's the other way round (with "correct" settings, and not working), isn't it? :D

analept, do you use a wired connection to your hardware, or wifi?