Considering a self-powered audio interface?

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mtingle
Expert

Considering a self-powered audio interface?

Post by mtingle » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:31 pm

With no need for a powered usb hub and very high quality pre-amps and construction that works with ipad & auria I can heartily recommend sound devices Mixpre-D. I would say it's the ultimate addition to the ipad/ auria setup for the very highest quality recordings in a truly mobile setup. Had mine for a few months now and its a real pleasure to use.

No instrument DI though.

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mixpred/

offthesky
Expert

Re: Considering a self-powered audio interface?

Post by offthesky » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:29 pm

excellent - thanks for posting. this looks amazing. maybe i can upgrade to this once i win the lottery($749 is a pretty penny) ;)

can you tell me how long the battery life lasts on this(i assume you use nimh batteries)? i assume the 48v phantom power is a no-go when this is running off the 2 AA's?

i've also read the zoom h4($269) works 100% mobile but haven't tested this device myself...

noise.offthesky.com

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:46 pm

I've not done any precise testing regarding battery life but 2 new alkaline batteries would suffice a recording session running 2 mics using phantom power. Also, if the mics can make do with 12 volts and not 48volts the MixPre-D can change to 12v phantom power if necessary.

It's possible to power the unit from between 10v-17v so you can organise a battery pack to last as long as you want. I configured 8 x 1.5v batteries, this would last a fair time.

PostGuy

Post by PostGuy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:27 pm

offthesky wrote:
i've also read the zoom h4($269) works 100% mobile but haven't tested this device myself...
I've tested the H4 (old grey model) and it works OK as long as you use a USB hub (non powered it's enough).
but let's face it: it is like a toy compared to Sound Devices stuff :)

Penguino

Post by Penguino » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:52 pm

There is still a BIG problem with this interface for europeans.
This company is crazy enough to let the sellers in europe put hell of a price.

Actual prices :
US : 749$ ... and Europe : 900 € .... so around 1173$ ... so 50% more O_O

I really thought about buying this at first, but seeing those prices it's a total rip of.

I still don't understand how they can be that stupid, they're loosing a lot of customers over there, cause products look good.

I decided on RME fireface UCX (but not self-powered...).
Will not buy sound devices products till they put normal prices.

offthesky
Expert

Post by offthesky » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:48 pm

PostGuy wrote:
offthesky wrote:
I've tested the H4 (old grey model) and it works OK as long as you use a USB hub (non powered it's enough).
but let's face it: it is like a toy compared to Sound Devices stuff :)
most definitely it's in a whole different ballpark from the mixpre-d. i'm curious if anybody's used the newer zoom h4n and if it's self powered with an ipad as well?

noise.offthesky.com

gmtfd

Post by gmtfd » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:39 am

mtingle wrote:With no need for a powered usb hub and very high quality pre-amps and construction that works with ipad & auria I can heartily recommend sound devices Mixpre-D. I would say it's the ultimate addition to the ipad/ auria setup for the very highest quality recordings in a truly mobile setup. Had mine for a few months now and its a real pleasure to use.
I recently bought an ART USB Dual Pre, intending to use it with an iPad 4 and a Rode NT4 stereo mic. Unfortunately I've been disappointed by this unit - it produces a noticeable background hiss, which remains at the same level whether the input gain is turned up or down. I suppose it is very cheap.

I'm now seriously considering getting a MixPre-D. I'm just wondering how silent this unit is? It's important to me because I want to be able to record quiet sounds and background ambiences. I also like to treat my recordings with heavy compression / limiting, which obviously makes any background noise much more noticeable.

And just to double check, the unit can supply 48V phantom power while running off 2 x AA batteries?

Many many thanks for any help with this.

Regards

Gareth

lorddiagram

Post by lorddiagram » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:05 pm

I just bought the Roland Duo Capture Ex and am loving using it.

It is self powered via 3 AA batteries, has XLR and instrument in as well s MIDI in/out. It's been the best investment i've made in a while (even in comparison to high end mics, preamps...etc)

And to add, it does supply phantom power.

lD

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:17 pm

the Roland duo capture ex looks very interesting indeed. Thanks for posting. Battery powered units that can also do phantom power AND di basses are just so ideal for a mobile set up.

Cheers

(link should anybody want it http://www.roland.co.uk/products/produc ... spx?p=1248 )

blackrose

Post by blackrose » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:15 am

I'm now seriously considering getting a MixPre-D. I'm just wondering how silent this unit is? It's important to me because I want to be able to record quiet sounds and background ambiences. I also like to treat my recordings with heavy compression / limiting, which obviously makes any background noise much more noticeable.

And just to double check, the unit can supply 48V phantom power while running off 2 x AA batteries????

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:42 am

yes it completely silent and yes it supplies 48v phantom power on either or both channels.

Bog music

Post by Bog music » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:38 pm

+1 for the Roland duo Capture EX
(Not the horrible Mk 2 which feels like a cheap plastic pencil case)

I have been using mine for months now and it is a pleasure to use both with microphones and DI instruments
I travel with a Duracell rechargeable battery charger and spare batteries and swap them out after 3 hours of recording when using capacitor mics with no headroom issues

It's also the only piece of kit i own which doesn't have an audible hum when switched on. (My MOTU interfaces sound like an electricity substation when fired up)

lkingston
Expert

Post by lkingston » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:48 pm

I just ordered a Roland Duo Ex. I've been looking at all the different options and this seemed like the best fit. I wanted something that would run on without AC power, could do phantom power for my Shure SM87, could record guitar and vocals at once, and was relatively solid and inexpensive.

lkingston
Expert

Post by lkingston » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:09 am

I got the Roland Duo EX a few days ago and it really works well. Latency is low enough that I don't need to use direct monitoring and I love that it runs on batteries. One thing that I found that pleasantly surprised me is that I can power it from a 1 spot power supply. These are cheap, really rugged and have very long cables. Better than Roland power supply IMHO.

BGR
Expert

Post by BGR » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:13 pm

In the specs of these two interfaces, they state:

-Sound Devices Mixpre-D
Mic to Line, max: 66 dB

-Roland Duo Capture Ex:
Nominal Input Level XLR: -60 to -12 dBu

Does this mean that the Duo can add a maximum of 48dB gain to any mic? I don't really understand what these specs mean on Roland products.