iOS synths

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Geronimo
Expert

iOS synths

Post by Geronimo » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:17 am

I created a thread about iOS synths over at Gearslutz. Just to collect some insights on the topic.
Feel free to participate :)

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... h-yet.html

Jus
Expert

Re: iOS synths

Post by Jus » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:35 pm

Brought most of them 8)

Very disappointed with the korg few ,nothing special maybe a keyboard wiz thinks different
Nave quality
Thor nice pads
Sampletank good alrounder
Igrand nice pianos good step up from sampletank
Sunrizer keep going back to this one lovely sounds cuts through the mix sits lovely along side a Guitar 8)

:mrgreen:

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:16 am

Jus wrote:Brought most of them 8)

Very disappointed with the korg few ,nothing special maybe a keyboard wiz thinks different
Nave quality
Thor nice pads
Sampletank good alrounder
Igrand nice pianos good step up from sampletank
Sunrizer keep going back to this one lovely sounds cuts through the mix sits lovely along side a Guitar 8)

:mrgreen:
I think of all the stuff i read about this topic over the months, Sunrizer get's certainly mentioned the most. And for a good a reason. Interestingly, i haven't really been tempted to try any of the Korgs either. They all seem way to somewhat confusing for my liking, and they actually don't get mentioned anymore at all. I don't really know why though.

djjuniorpops
Expert

Post by djjuniorpops » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:53 am

Bought most of them however i keep going back to Alchemy Pro and Thor. Nave love the sounds but can't wrap my mind around it as yet, iMini,Magellan,Animoog and Sample Tank also have great sounds.

Checkrath
Expert

Post by Checkrath » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:58 pm

Nave, Sunrizer and Animoog are fantastic
Not quite a synth, but Thumbjam never gets enough love.. Really great sounding app with a great ui

acaonweb
Expert

Post by acaonweb » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:28 am

iMini... great sounds :)
iPad Air Pro 11 iOS 16.3 WiFi 512 Giga, Scarlett Focusrite 18i8
http://mustek.bandcamp.com

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:50 pm

I just got Cassini on sale and am very surprised by its usefulness. Sure it's no monster synth, but then again, most of our tracks aren't full of monster patches, but many simple sounds . This has a very simple interface and the sounds are very useable. Still learning it though.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:40 am

Cassini is actually a pretty monster synth. Editing goes deep deep. The presets do very little to display its power. Definitely check out the videos of their site for a few programming tips and I think the Sunsine presets are totally worth it.

G-master G
Expert

Post by G-master G » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:25 am

G’day Guys
While we are on this topic. I want to create some string and brass parts for some of my band’s songs and I am leaning towards buying Sample Tank unless someone can convince me otherwise, but one question that I have is this.
I am a guitarist not a keyboard player and I would struggle to play a part with any sort of proficiency. Previously in Garage Band I have created string and piano arrangements by using the graphical interface where I can just tap on the grid and register that a note be played. I can then alter the length or the position of the note and change other tonal characteristics. I am sure that anyone who has used GB is familiar with this. So do I have that same option available to me in Sample Tank? It is not obvious from the reviews that I have read; but maybe it is so obvious that it is taken as understood.
Cheers
Grant

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:08 am

G-master G wrote: I am a guitarist not a keyboard player and I would struggle to play a part with any sort of proficiency. Previously in Garage Band I have created string and piano arrangements by using the graphical interface where I can just tap on the grid and register that a note be played. I can then alter the length or the position of the note and change other tonal characteristics. I am sure that anyone who has used GB is familiar with this. So do I have that same option available to me in Sample Tank? It is not obvious from the reviews that I have read; but maybe it is so obvious that it is taken as understood.
Cheers
Grant
Have you had a look at ThumbJam? I find it quite useful for the type of thing you describe.

Aaron

G-master G
Expert

Post by G-master G » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:25 pm

Thanks Aaron I will investigate

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:17 pm

You might also check out Guitarism. It had a MIDI out IAP that will allow you to control other iOS instruments through a guitar interface.

G-master G
Expert

Post by G-master G » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:31 pm

Thanks Aaron and Syrupcore.

I looked at Thumbjam but it seems more to be for live performance. Control via a guitar interface is not what I want either.

Put simply, I am just trying to find something akin to the Smart Instruments in Garage Band but with better sounds and more of them. In doing so, I can easily score on paper a lead trumpet part for example, add block harmony for 3 other trumpets and then tell the app how and when to play it by simply tapping the screen and putting a little coloured rectangle on the screen at the point at which I want the app to play the note. Then I can set the length of the rectangle to set the length of the note and/or I can change its position to alter the timing.

Because I have never used samplers or synths I don't know whether this method is a standard way of doing things and therefore so obvious that it is never mentioned in the product reviews or, alternatively, if it is a unique feature which is not included if it is not mentioned in a review of a product's features.

Checkrath
Expert

Post by Checkrath » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:28 pm

Ahh... What you are describing is (midi) sequencing. Auria, in its current form, is more of an Audio tool than a sequencing tool, although the first Midi features have started appearing in recent versions. When I need to do sequencing, I usually use Beatmaker 2 for my sequenced tracks. Other apps that can be used for sequencing include Nanostudio or Cubasis.

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:29 pm

@Gmaster, you need two separate apps at this point. One for sequencing, one for sounds. There is no all-in-one with better string/horn sounds than Garageband.

For sequencing you really have three options at this point: Genome, BM2 and Cubasis.

For sounds, you have really have two (because you need these sound sources to be multitimbral): SampleTank + IAP or BS-16i + SoundFonts*. Sampletank is easier but is only four part multitimbral. BS16i is... wait for it... 16 part. :)

Any combination of these will work fine. Genome is very capable but is pretty focused on pattern based music so may not be the best option. Either way, you'll need to sort out virtual midi and background audio but both are reasonably straightforward for this type of stuff.

There are lots of great free soundfonts out there. http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/21900 and http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1200140 should get you started.