Scarlett 18i6 isn't showing up in Auria

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

DigiPep

Scarlett 18i6 isn't showing up in Auria

Post by DigiPep » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Dear Auria Support,

I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong but, my new Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 is not showing up in Auria. I'm using an iPad 32 GB 3rd generation. I have the Apple CCK connected, the USB cable is attached to the iPad and the interface and the Scarlett 18i6 is plugged into AC power. Am I supposed to connect things in a certain order? Should everything be connected before opening Auria. I'm sorry if I've missed the instructions on how to do this but, I couldn't find any information regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance for getting back to me.

Super cool kudos for creating such a wonderful app. My best friend will be purchasing all of the same gear that I have except that he will be on on my "old" iPad 2. We're going to have a blast collaborating on projects together.

Best of luck to you on the future of Auria. :mrgreen:

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Scarlett 18i6 isn't showing up in Auria

Post by Rim » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:40 pm

There's no particular order you need to do things in. Are you sure you've got the hub connected correctly? Most hubs have a number of ports (usually 4), and a special output connector (or cable). You plug the CCK into this output cable, then plug the 18i6 into one of the ports.

You'll know when it connects, because you'll see the INT indicator change to USB on the top in Auria. It usually takes a few seconds for it to connect.

If it's still not working, try rebooting the iPad, try using a different hub, and try updating the firmware on your 18i6.

Rim

sampletime

Post by sampletime » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:49 am

I had the same problem and resolved it last night....

Firstly, I replaced my cheap copy cck and purchased an Apple original item (more expensive of course lol).

I connected it as follows....

Ipad connected to the OUTPUT of the hub (a powered Trust 10 way hub).
I then connected one of the ten INPUT ports to the 18i6 USB point on the rear of the device.

This did not work and the interface was not recognised by Auria....!!!

Then...

I swapped the hub for a smaller HP powered hub that was used on my PC.

Still didn't work....

Then...

I changed the USB lead between the hub and the 18i6 for another one.

Nothing...

Pulled the CCK out and re-inserted it and BINGO....!!! ALL GOOD...!!

So.... I haven't convinced myself as to which step fixed the problem, but it seems that the lead was a definite contributor and reconnecting the CCK seemed to have enabled the Ipad to hook things up properly.

Not sure if this will help, but as we have the same kit, I though you might like to hear my experiences...

Regards

Paul

DigiPep

Post by DigiPep » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:09 am

Ah Ha! I'm not using a USB Hub. COuld that be the problem? I guess that I need to get one of those. Thanks for the responses to my question. I would have gotten back to you all sooner but, I just got home from my Wednesday night gig in Newport Beach.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:12 am

If you're not using a USB hub, you should get a message saying "This device uses too much power". Are you not getting that message?

Are you using an Apple branded CCK?

Also, the Focusrite needs to be plugged into it's own power supply.

Rim

DigiPep

Post by DigiPep » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:22 am

Yes I'm getting that "Too Much Power message. I am using the Apple Camera Connection Kit. I have the Scarlett 18i6's power supply plugged in to the wall outlet and its lights are on. It looks like I just need to get a Powered USB Hub. Do you recommend a particular model?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:25 am

Yep, that'll do it. Most hubs will work. If you stick with a known brand, like Belkin, you're less likely to encounter problems. Just make sure it's a powered hub.

Rim

DigiPep

Post by DigiPep » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:36 am

I'll have to get one today, after I get some sleep. Thanks again for the timely help with such an awesome iPad App.

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:35 pm

Digitprep look at my postings and videos I put up here and you'll find the hub that I am using. No power or apple cck needed. Just search for my posts under foster.

Dana

Post by Dana » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:09 am

I am having similar problems connecting my 18i6 to the iPad. One time it will work, and the next, nada. I'm using a powered hub. I've tried connecting things in different orders and powering things up in different orders. Same thing! Nearing my wit's end on this issue. When it works, it works so well! Please help!

Dana

Auria, USB hub, and the 18i6

Post by Dana » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:23 am

Update: The Treefrog powered hub from London Drugs simply doesn't work. Not sure why. I replaced it with an older Nexxtech powered USB 2.0 hub and BINGO! I would advise other frustrated users not to give up after using just any powered hub. Hoorah! Now I can go have some fun with this wicked app...

I'm going to add some text here so that others can find this post: accessory uses too much power message, ipad, iPad 2, focusrite scarlett 18i6, USB 2.0, camera connection kit

G-master G
Expert

Post by G-master G » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:39 am

G'day Dana and everyone else on this thread.

It caught my eye because I have an 18i6 and thought I would browse to see if I could learn anything I don’t already know.
I am reluctant to correct any advice that Rim gives especially given that he is the developer and that I am relatively new to all of this technology but my experience with connection issues is contrary to that which I have read here.
My setup is an iPad 4 with an Apple CCK, a powered hub and a Scarlett 18i6.
After a lot of hair-pulling I have developed the following connection routine which means that I get ALL devices talking to each other EVERY time.
Begin with all devices disconnected and unplugged. To be quite clear about this I will re-state it in detail:
1. Disconnect the mains power from your 18i6
2. Remove the USB cable that connects the USB hub to the 18i6
3. Disconnect the mains power from the USB hub
4. Remove the CCK from the iPad
5. Remove the CCK from the USB hub.
For a fail-safe connection do the following:
1. Connect mains power to the 18i6
2. Connect mains power to the USB hub
3. Connect both the 18i6 and the USB hub via the USB cable
4. Connect the CCK to the USB hub
5. Turn on your iPad
6. Connect the CCK to the iPad
This is what I call an initialise connection or an “out of the box” connection.
This is the process that I follow at a gig when I have had to move the gear and that move has involved everything being powered off.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL I ATTEMPT TO USE MY IPAD AND 18I6 AT A GIG IF THIS PROCEDURE HAS NOT BEEN FOLLOWED.
When I am at home and my gear is lying around in my studio on a daily basis I may only want to do an initialise start-up once.
In those situations I will disconnect the CCK from the iPad and disconnect the mains power from the 18i6 and then leave everything else connected (DON’T DISCONNECT THE MAINS POWER FOR THE USB hub).
When I next want to use the system I will do the following:
1. Connect mains power to the 18i6
2. Turn on iPad
3. Connect the CCK to the iPad
Developing these 2 procedures and sticking to them religiously has ensured that my setup works every-time which is very important when I am at gigs because I rely on the iPad to send a click to our drummer and a backing track to the front-of-house speakers which I do via Syncinside (great app for this sort of thing). I cannot afford to have a connection fail.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:17 am

I'm sure this procedure works fine, but have you tried switching to Legacy CoreAudio mode in Auria's settings? This should eliminate most USB issues.

Rim

G-master G
Expert

Post by G-master G » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:49 am

Thanks Rim I will try the legacy mode. Cheers