News about Turnado

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

News about Turnado

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:21 am

Some news about Turnado: We decided to pull it from 1.12, and include it into 1.13 instead. The reason for this is because we changed the way it's going to be purchased. To accommodate users who already own the Turnado app, Auria will automatically detect if the app version is installed on your iPad, then enable the plugin version within Auria. The Auria store will still have Turnado available for purchase, but it will link to the App Store instead of completing the purchase within Auria.

In other words:

- For owners of the Turnado app: the Auria plugin version will be free, and will appear in the plugin list automatically

- For users who don't already own the Turnado app: You'll be directed to the App Store, where you can purchase the Turnado app. Having this app present on your iPad will automatically enable the plugin version within Auria.

1.12 will have a pop-up saying Turnado is included in this version, but please ignore that message, as it'll appear in 1.13 only

Rim

mrufino1
Expert

Re: News about Turnado

Post by mrufino1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:05 am

This is cool news. I don't know if turnado is a plugin I'll ever need for what I do, but do you foresee this happening with Jamup at anytime? Either way, it's nice to see the progression of ios to incorporate some integration and your boundary pushing efforts are always appreciated here.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:14 am

We're trying to get all the plugin developers who also have an app version to use this new model. We don't make any money on plugin sales anyway, so this makes things easier for us. We've asked Jam Up if there're interested in doing this as well.

Rim

djjuniorpops
Expert

Post by djjuniorpops » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:18 am

Rim thanks for that update, this was a major concern on mine. This makes it interesting in that it proves that a full VST plugin model in DAW could be used if the developers would allow and put coding in place.
That is for example Thor could become a plug in in Auria once Propellerhead apply the special coding in Thor so that Auria could reade it.
The sky is the limit with this model.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:23 am

This only changes the payment model. The developers still need to spend time making the plugin Auria-compatible, and that code needs to then get inserted into the next Auria version. It's not hard, but still requires work on their part.

Rim

djjuniorpops
Expert

Post by djjuniorpops » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:17 pm

Rim wrote:This only changes the payment model. The developers still need to spend time making the plugin Auria-compatible, and that code needs to then get inserted into the next Auria version. It's not hard, but still requires work on their part.

Rim
I realize this , but think about what could happen if developers do such a thing.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:18 pm

Does this mean that Turnado will occupy twice the disk space (the iOS app plus the Auria plugin) because the latter can't exist without the former? What if I delete the app after installing the plugin?

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:57 pm

Washboy wrote:Does this mean that Turnado will occupy twice the disk space (the iOS app plus the Auria plugin) because the latter can't exist without the former? What if I delete the app after installing the plugin?
yes my thoughts also. Do you need to keep every app in the ipad that you wish to use in Auria?

Would be nice to have the option to purchase it as an IAP also. Makes Auria self contained which is a bonus IMO.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:39 pm

You'll need to keep the app on your iPad, otherwise it won't appear in Auria. Apps like Turnado are very small, so I wouldn't worry about using space.

Rim

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:33 am

Really great news, thanks Sugar Bytes & Wavemachine Labs.

Yea so unless Apple do some fundamental changes to the way cross-app purchases works (incl. update paths for devs etc), this model will always require you to have 2 copies of the same app/plugin. So space will definitely be an issue (Apple, where's the memory stick slot?) eventually. Please Wavemachine Labs, have the bigger plugs (or preferably all future plugs) inside Auria as _downloadable_ IAPs. So it doesn't end up like Retronymns Tabletop where a user will have a 700mb sample library baked into the Tabletop which would be useless unless you purchased iMPC (just using examples here, nothing against Tabletop).

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:49 am

There's no way to have a "downloadable" IAP with the Apple model. They don't allow code to be installed at a later time, so every possible plugin must already be installed into the app, and just unlocked when you make a purchase.

Rim

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:29 am

Ok, I thought it could work the same way as when you purchase sample packs in iMaschine, Alchemy Mobile etc. In that the IAP product you just purchased downloads inside the app after the purchase has been made. And can always be restored and downloaded at will again from inside the app.

But if that is not possible with the model Auria uses, as nice as it is getting things for free, I'd much rather have all those hundreds of mb available to other things and pay up twice if I choose to. I mean, Apple charges a lot for those extra gigabytes, that's their business model and obviously there's nothing to do about that. So it does mean that available memory on an iDevice kinda becomes _very_ valuable for the end user. :/

-----

Edit: Gotta add that I didn't intend to sound ungrateful, I'm totally seeing what you're doing here. So sorry if it all sounded that way (is just me bad englese and typing) :)

Edit again: Also, I guess the difference between sample packs and plugins is that samples are samples, and plugins are actual software that has to go through Apple ?

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:48 am

Rim,how long do we have to wait for the 1.13 then.Hope not too long :wink:
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:51 am

Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?

sheesh! (pardon my french)

edit:
Oops, almost forgot. :)
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:33 pm

At last check, Apple's review queue was 12 days. So, we're hoping 1.12 will get reviewed early next week.

Rim